Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

GAVIN RAE & JON PARKIN SPOKE OUT AGAINST DAVE JONES

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:04 pm

GAVIN RAE & JON PARKIN SPOKE OUT AGAINST DAVE JONES

Link
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2017/03/1 ... ave-jones/ :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Ex Cardiff City players Gavin Rae & Jon Parkin both spoke out against former Cardiff City manager Dave Jones.

Jones virtually divided the Cardiff City squad at the time.
Jones had favourites,who got away with stuff that other players would not have.

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2017/03/1 ... ave-jones/ :bluebird:

Former striker Jon Parkin claimed star strikers at the time, Michael Chopra and Jay Bothroyd, were often a law unto themselves under previous Cardiff City manager Dave Jones, with Michael Chopra disappearing to drive to his home in Newcastle after midweek games affecting his preparation for the up-coming Saturday fixtures.

Gavin Rae, endorsed Jon Parkin’s comments, but went further, insisting Jones teetered on the brink of dividing his squad when unity was needed.

“For any professional, to see that going on and to see them not being picked up on it is very frustrating for the rest of the team,” said Rae, who left Cardiff for Dundee in May 2011.

“I totally agree with Jon Parkin, things like that would be going on and then it comes to the Saturday and you have boys who have trained all week who are on the bench or not even on the bench. Then other boys are starting who maybe did not take it as seriously as the rest of us were taking it.

“There may have been reasons why Dave did that with certain players, I totally get that, but I think it was detrimental to the squad, I don’t think he should have done that at all."

“It was difficult because the one thing Dave was really good at was getting a good team spirit and a squad together. We had a great team spirit when I was there, I loved my time at Cardiff, the boys were great and they were great times, but there comes a time when somebody’s got to be pulled up when there are things to be pulled up for."

“If they are not, then you will get boys talking, then saying: ‘Well, that is just not on’. That shouldn’t be going on and when it gets to that stage it is damaging to the rest of the squad.”

But he believes Dave Jones took things too far, with some other players unhappy at their special treatment, and Rae himself, w says "he would do things differently if he ever moves into management."

“Maybe it negates the argument because they were doing it on the pitch,” said Rae. “But overall I don’t think it’s great for morale in the squad. I understand the thinking behind it, but it does not need to go on. Dave was an experienced manager and these boys were experienced players, so I don’t think there would have been any problem with them being told to do just the same as everyone else was being told to do."

“I would not say there was massive leniency to certain players, but there was slightly and you thought it could have been handled differently. I know it’s difficult to keep everyone happy, but I like to think if the time were to come for me to be a coach or a manager at that level then I would try to treat everyone the same.

“Jay and ‘Chops’ trained hard, they trained well. It was nothing sinister, they are obviously two really good players, they did it on the pitch for us, but everyone is a different character. I just got my head down and got on with it, but some people got more annoyed than I did. I just felt everyone should be treated fairly.”

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2017/03/1 ... ave-jones/ :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: GAVIN RAE & JON PARKIN SPOKE OUT AGAINST DAVE JONES

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:08 pm

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2017/03/1 ... ave-jones/ :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:44 pm

Not sure what to make of that because Parkin has had beef with two of our ex managers, seems like he just couldn't take it that he couldn't get ahead of the strikers here, makes him sound like a child.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:39 pm

Parkin was crap anyway look at how many clubs he has had

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:59 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:Parkin was crap anyway look at how many clubs he has had

Still scores a lot of goals at every club he has been at. Although he may not look like an athlete, he has a great shot on him.

He may be justified in having issues with both managers, and there are plenty that he has played for that he has massive respect for. Warren Feeney being one.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:56 am

yeah I can see where your coming from regarding parkin, he seems to have fallen out with plenty of managers, but when gavin rae says something I feel you have to listen, this was a guy who ran his socks off every second of the game, he worked hard, and that brought a level of respect that others didn't deserve.

Bothroyd was always lazy, every club he was at said he failed because he was lazy, and when he first came to us, he seemed to be putting in the effort, but as soon as that England call up came, his ego got the better of him

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:33 am

I remember at the time it was common opinion that Jones had favourite players. Mind you he is far from alone and many thought (with justification IMO) that Russell Slade operated a similar policy.

As for Jones there had to be a reason why he kept failing at the final hurdle. Selecting favourites despite them not training properly was probably one of the contributing factors.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:38 am

Mr Shed wrote:
cardiff 74 wrote:Parkin was crap anyway look at how many clubs he has had

Still scores a lot of goals at every club he has been at. Although he may not look like an athlete, he has a great shot on him.

He may be justified in having issues with both managers, and there are plenty that he has played for that he has massive respect for. Warren Feeney being one.

You are both right in a way. Parkin could be shit and certainly had weight problems which would indicate he didn't train to his full potential.

However, he could also make an impact and Jones failed to get the best out of him. I remember his goal vs. Norwich which should have been a spring board but ultimately ended up being the highlight as his contribution fizzled out as Jones failed to get the best out of him.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:02 pm

Dave Jones :banghead: saying no more - I have moved on from that idiot, I am in a good place now :thumbup:

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:16 pm

But it worked as far as on a match day he generally got the best out of Chops and Jay.

Parkin can hardly be one to talk about being professional when you see the size on him. Frustrating for players im sure but if they are doing it on a match day what do they want DJ to do.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Can understand the frustration but man management does mean treating people differently. We've all seen it in our own football teams we play for and the workplace. I think you tolerate it if you feel unfairly treated as long as the spoilt one performs.

There is no doubt now that Mr Jones's trust was abused by some. We know of those who did not perform in the run up to the season we missed out having led for most of the season. Mr Chopra in particular was gambling all hours and thus not being fit enough for training. Mr Bothroyd performed to the highest level throughout.

It is a touch cheeky to tell a manager how to manage though when never actually managing himself!