Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' WALES FOOTBALLS NEW WONDER KID CALLED UP '

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:22 am

' WALES NEW WONDER KID '

Liverpool FC boss Jurgen Klopp says he’s ‘surprised’ Wales did not speak to him before calling up Striker Ben Woodburn

By Chris Wathan

Tuesday 21st March 2017

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp admits he was 'surprised' Wales counterpart Chris Coleman did not contact him over Ben Woodburn being called up to his international squad.

The 17-year-old striker, who has previously represented Wales at youth level, was promoted to the senior squad by Coleman ahead of Friday night's key World Cup qualifier against the Republic of Ireland, in Dublin.

Woodburn has made three Premier League appearances after being handed his debut by Klopp in November last year, but the German says his call-up to the Wales squad means there are now two managers responsible for the teenager’s development.

“Actually, I was surprised about this. I don’t know exactly how it’s normal here,” Klopp said.

“This should not be a criticism, but usually when you call up a player, a 17-year-old player, I thought it could be possible to call me.

“He has to learn, he has to develop, he has to improve, all of this... there are now two managers responsible for him.”

Coleman said Woodburn was ready to take a step forward in his international career.

Video thumbnail, Klopp on Ben Woodburn's early call-up to Wales squadKlopp on Ben Woodburn's early call-up to Wales squad
“If I thought it was too early for him I wouldn’t have called him up, because this game is massive for us,” Coleman said.

“I am thinking about what is the best squad to get together to meet this next challenge. And Ben has done enough.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' WALES FOOTBALLS NEW WONDER KID CALLED UP '

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Klopp off you German Scouse T**t :D The boy will learn ten times more from Gareth Bale than anybody in that failed squad of yours :roll:

Re: ' WALES FOOTBALLS NEW WONDER KID CALLED UP '

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Klopp off you German Scouse T**t :D The boy will learn ten times more from Gareth Bale than anybody in that failed squad of yours :roll:

Hmmm don't mince your words Chief :lol: But you are spot on :D :bluebird: