Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ex Cardiff City Manager Will Assist at Newport County

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Lennie Lawrence will assist caretaker manager Michael Flynn during the Exiles' remaining nine games of the season

Tues 21st March 2017

Former Cardiff City boss Lennie Lawrence has joined Newport County as a first team management consultant until the end of the season.

The Exiles appointed Michael Flynn as caretaker manager for the remainder of the campaign following the sacking of Graham Westley earlier this month.

And Flynn is set to be assisted by ex-Cardiff manager Lawrence in the club's remaining nine games of the season as Newport look to preserve their Football League status.

Lawrence said: "I met Michael at the FAW UEFA Pro license course and when approached I was delighted to offer some support.

"I have undertaken this type of role on several occasions and will be there for Michael to offer advice and guidance when needed."

Lawrence has taken charge of more than 1,000 games in the Football League with clubs including Charlton, Middlesbrough and Cardiff, leading the Bluebirds to promotion from Division 2 in the 2002/03 campaign.

He was most recently assistant manager to Paul Trollope in the Welsh capital.

And Flynn - who has overseen his side secure two wins in three games since Westley was axed - believes the appointment of Lawrence can help the Exiles - currently seven points adrift of safety in League Two - complete the great escape this season.

Newport County caretaker manager Michael Flynn

Caretaker boss Flynn said: "I’m over the moon that Lennie’s agreed to come on board.

"It’s not only great for the club, it’s excellent for me personally and for my managerial career. I’m always learning and if I can’t learn from someone who’s managed over a 1000 times in the football league then I won’t be able to learn from anyone.

"Not only will Lennie be important for my development, he’ll also be helpful to the board as he brings with him a wealth of football knowledge.

"I’m sure having someone like Lennie on board will give the players a massive lift too.

"I also hope that bringing Lennie in will show the fans how committed I am to doing what’s best for the club."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Ex Cardiff City Manager Will Assist at Newport County

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Newport down 1-0 to an early pen...time for Lennie to weave his magic

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Well done Lennie 1-1 now

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:43 pm

1-1 final score. Six points from safety!

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:05 am

but where will they play next season if the Welsh Rugby Union kick them out of Rodney Parade ?

and they can't play with a plastic pitch either in the Football league....

Albion Rovers ground by the Malpas M4 junction ?