Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" ANOTHER PLAYER WITHDRAWS FROM IRELAND SQUAD "

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:58 pm

BBC

Tuesday 21st March 2017

Republic of Ireland's injury crisis deepened on Tuesday with striker Daryl Murphy ruled out of Friday's World Cup qualifier against Wales in Dublin.

The Newcastle United forward has a calf problem and has returned to his club for further treatment.

It is another blow for Republic boss Martin O'Neill after the withdrawals of Wes Hoolahan, Shane Duffy, Ciaran Clark and Harry Arter.

Everton midfielder James McCarthy is being monitored for a hamstring injury.

McCarthy missed Everton's win over Hull on Saturday because of the injury and is a doubt for the Aviva Stadium game.

"He'll just take it on a day-to-day basis," O'Neill said on Monday.

"He thinks that he might be able to make it - that would be great if he can. If he doesn't, well, we'll just have to do without him."

Southampton striker Shane Long, Everton full-back Seamus Coleman and Aberdeen midfielder Johnny Hayes missed Tuesday morning's training session as a precaution.

O'Neill also goes into the game without Burnley winger Robbie Brady, who is suspended.

Ireland are unbeaten and top Group D with 10 points from their opening four qualifiers, while Chris Coleman's Wales are four points behind in third.

Republic of Ireland squad:

Goalkeepers:Darren Randolph, Keiren Westwood, Colin Doyle

Defenders: Seamus Coleman, Cyrus Christie, Richard Keogh, Alex Pearce, John O'Shea, Andy Boyle, John Egan, Stephen Ward

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady, Glenn Whelan, James McCarthy, Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady, Conor Hourihane, David Meyler, Eunan O'Kane, James McClean, Jonathan Hayes, Daryl Horgan, Callum O'Dowda

Forwards: Jonathan Walters, Shane Long, Kevin Doyle

Re: " ANTOHER PLAYER WITHDRAWS FROM IRELAND SQUAD "

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:06 pm

I thought Pilkington was in the squad?

Re: " ANOTHER PLAYER WITHDRAWS FROM IRELAND SQUAD "

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:07 pm

There's still more than enough for them to put out a decent side. I wouldn't be fooled by the amount of withdrawals

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:10 pm

Their defense looks weak, particularly down the centre. I'm guessing they will line up with a back 4 of Coleman, Keogh, O'Shea and Brady. Hopefully Bale can get their slow centre backs isolated on the break.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:56 pm

Chris Holmes wrote:There's still more than enough for them to put out a decent side. I wouldn't be fooled by the amount of withdrawals

same here . i wish they had everyone available tbh.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:21 am

dogfound wrote:
Chris Holmes wrote:There's still more than enough for them to put out a decent side. I wouldn't be fooled by the amount of withdrawals

same here . i wish they had everyone available tbh.

They are there for the taking...if we are positive and play to the best of our ability we will win.

Huge game, need a big performance from our "star players" I am confident we are going to win.

Have a great time everyone who is going and safe journey back

Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:23 pm

Still a very strong Irish side. If Coleman or Long withdrew, then I would feel more comfortable.