Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Awful ticket sales for Kevs testimonial

Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:36 pm

englishbluebird wrote:As far as I was aware proceeds went to charity not the player. I personally cant wait to see kev and the boys in action again

It's up to he player!!!

Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:44 pm

My wife would prefer to see Kev than go out for an overpriced meal - i'm such a lucky guy :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:55 pm

I think it's fairly easy to see why there's such low ticket sales

1. There's gonna be loads still out in Ireland, myself included
2. Its on Mothers Day so a lot of kids and dads will be out
3. He hasn't played in a CCFC shirt for early 3 years. IMO that subdues the occasion
4. We get about 14,000 home crowd for league games. I'd be surprised if even 1/3 of that would want to go to a testimonial

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:05 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:The scheduling for this wasn't the greatest though was it - Super Kev v the mothers of South Wales... it's going to take a brave man to abandon the family on that day, I just mentioned it to my Mrs - was glared at!! Even invited her!

I'm surprised the mums of the players are so understanding- or do they think it's a regular game????? Lol

Forget mothers day, all the fans are Guna be in Ireland ffs.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:22 pm

This post isn't going to be popular but it is just my opinion -
I don't agree with testimonials full stop. Generally, pro footballers get a good wage and are pretty much made for life whatever they choose to do when their career ends (8K per week equals 32K per month equals approx 400K per year for an average career of 10 years on a top wage

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:27 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:This post isn't going to be popular but it is just my opinion -
I don't agree with testimonials full stop. Generally, pro footballers get a good wage and are pretty much made for life whatever they choose to do when their career ends (8K per week equals 32K per month equals approx 400K per year for an average career of 10 years on a top wage

I do agree but super Kev is doing it for charity not himself. Just gives him a chance to say thanks to everyone for letting him shag there wives :lol: :thumbup:

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:58 pm

I like super Kev but I have better things to do with my Sunday I am afraid. I would have 100% gone if it was the summer though. More people will have gone down on a lovely day in July when there's no football on elsewhere. Organisation is a shambles.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:14 pm

Sorry not so super in my eyes. Anyone can stay at a club for ten years that doesn't mean they are a legend of the club. Average player in my eyes that gave 100%. If I went I would be a fraud.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:38 pm

Shocking statement,one of the best fullbacks seen in 45 years of watching the city.
Should have been a summer evening game in July.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:49 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:
theclaw wrote:People moaning about Mother's Day,mid-season and everything else FFS,if the club had booked Barcelona there would be 20k there!
If your home and available get down there.

Ridiculous post.

No it isn't. It's spot on.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:55 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:As much as I like super Kev, he was a great servant and a by the sound of it a really nice bloke... I just totally disagree with any sort of testimonial for professional footballers.

Kev had a long career 15 years as a professional?? Earning dam good money for most of that time and if he was sensible should be a millionaire by now and never have to work again.

Why should people pay money to see a kick about and earn him a few more bob, it just doesn't seem right.

I have been in my job for 25 years and all I got an extra £250 and 2 extra days holiday!!!

Sorry, but I have never been to a testimonial in my life and never will go!!!

Spot on, I have absolutely no intention of going, and don't know anyone else who is. I'll be in my local watching a band, looking forward to it. It's time to scrap testimonials, whether the money goes to charity or not.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:50 pm

This needs to be postponed and rescheduled for kevs sake. At least he may get a few more bums on seats in the summer or at least end of the last league game. Bad management and maybe he deserves better. I choose not to go as he was just a average player for me. Way to hyped up this and can turn into a embarrassing day i.e. attendance.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:54 pm

I'm going but will be buying my ticket on the day.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:59 pm

Dahboy wrote:Sorry not so super in my eyes. Anyone can stay at a club for ten years that doesn't mean they are a legend of the club. Average player in my eyes that gave 100%. If I went I would be a fraud.

Whos a city legend in your eyes then?

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:02 pm

Man of Harlech wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:
theclaw wrote:People moaning about Mother's Day,mid-season and everything else FFS,if the club had booked Barcelona there would be 20k there!
If your home and available get down there.

Ridiculous post.

No it isn't. It's spot on.

No it's a load of shite.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:This post isn't going to be popular but it is just my opinion -

I do agree but super Kev is doing it for charity not himself. Just gives him a chance to say thanks to everyone for letting him shag there wives :lol: :thumbup:

I didn't know that so hats off to him :thumbup:

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:51 pm

Kev was a good player, and a good servant to our club. My tickets came on Tuesday, and I'm looking forward to it. It will be a real pity if the crowd is embarrassingly low, but if people have other priorities, then nothing we can do. If it was in the summer, people would be on holidays, or watching cricket, at a music festival, or something. I'm lucky, I suppose. Never got into 'Wales away', and don't have a wife to worry about. I'll see my mother later in the day.

.......I want silver hair, too! :bluebird:

If it's half as bad as some on here are predicting, it could be the last ever testimonial at the City. Would Whitts fancy after that?

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:52 pm

getting mine tomorrow, plus the wifes, better than flowers, chocolates. perfume. slippers. :lol: and cheaper :lol: :bluescarf:

Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:46 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:As much as I like super Kev, he was a great servant and a by the sound of it a really nice bloke... I just totally disagree with any sort of testimonial for professional footballers.

Kev had a long career 15 years as a professional?? Earning dam good money for most of that time and if he was sensible should be a millionaire by now and never have to work again.

Why should people pay money to see a kick about and earn him a few more bob, it just doesn't seem right.

I have been in my job for 25 years and all I got an extra £250 and 2 extra days holiday!!!

Sorry, but I have never been to a testimonial in my life and never will go!!!

If it makes you feel any better the way ticket sales are going Super Kev will be lucky to make £250.

Tony, I just think testimonials are not really relevant these days...30 years ago when players didn't earn as much maybe there was a need for them but not anymore.....but feel free to have a whip around for me, all donations will be gladly accepted :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I'd say testimonials are just as relevant today, but for different reasons. 10 years at a club in this day and age is an absolutely massive accomplishment!

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:53 pm

The timing is poor but I've agreed with my wife that as its a rare and deserved event, we are going to swap Mothers Day with Fathers Day this year.

So on Sunday, she has kindly agreed to allow me to watch Superkev's last game, whilst on Fathers Day, she can go and watch Mama Mia, Shirley Fo-Foo Valentine or some other wish-wash with her obese friends. Good Day Sir.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:27 am

I won't be there. Mum's the word! :thumbup:

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:46 am

Super Kev:
"Cardiff City was the best part of my career and played a big part in my life"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:24 am

Dahboy wrote:Sorry not so super in my eyes. Anyone can stay at a club for ten years that doesn't mean they are a legend of the club. Average player in my eyes that gave 100%. If I went I would be a fraud.

No one ever said he was cafu. What more do we ask as Cardiff fans than loyalty and to give 100%?

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:44 am

City had opened all the ground, but since the lack of sales currently at approx 450, they have closed everything but the Grandstand and sent letters around saying they have moved fans to the Grandstand area.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:40 am

englishbluebird wrote:

Whos a city legend in your eyes then?

I'd say over hyped nonsense, no such things as legends in sport, just overpaid athletes. Now that Michael Foot, he was a real Leg...End in my opinion :lol:

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Forever Blue wrote:City had opened all the ground, but since the lack of sales currently at approx 450, they have closed everything but the Grandstand and sent letters around saying they have moved fans to the Grandstand area.

450 :o this has to be postponed for kevs sake.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Dahboy wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:City had opened all the ground, but since the lack of sales currently at approx 450, they have closed everything but the Grandstand and sent letters around saying they have moved fans to the Grandstand area.

If it really is 450, then yes, but it's a bit late in the day. How reliable is this figure?

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:14 pm

Craig Bellamy Calling on Cardiff fans to turn up

By Terry Phillips

Friday 24th March 2017

Craig Bellamy believes Kevin McNaughton deserves the type of send off he had from Cardiff City fans - and will get it on Sunday and hopes Cardiff fans turn up in their thousands.

The two men are back together this weekend for McNaughton’s benefit match at Cardiff City Stadium when they manage opposing teams.

Bellamy and McNaughton played together for over three seasons and helped the Bluebirds earn promotion to the Premier League.

It was a dream achievement. ‘Bellers’ loved helping his home city club earn the success fans craved, while McNaughton had talked of going up to the Premier League from the first day he signed for Cardiff in 2006.

Bellamy and McNaughton made their last appearances for the Bluebirds in the top flight, against Chelsea and Southampton respectively.

But whereas Bellamy bowed out of football at home with the whole ground applauding him, McNaughton himself admits he never had a proper opportunity to say goodbye to the Cardiff fans who also adore him.

McNaughton moved to Bolton, then Inverness and Bellamy said: "Kevin didn’t have the chance to say goodbye and he deserves this benefit match on Sunday. He dedicated a lot of his career to Cardiff City.

“I knew that match against Chelsea was my last and when I was substituted and walked off Jose Mourinho came over, gave me a hug and said ‘You are a champion’.

“It felt right to end it there. That was me done. If I had gone out onto the pitch again it might have spoiled the moment for me.

“Naughts didn’t have the same opportunity and I hope the fans turn out in force to pay their respects for a good human being, a humble man who gave everything he had for Cardiff City."

Cardiff's Craig Bellamy is embraced by Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho as he leaves the pitch for the final time against Chelsea on Sunday May 11 (Photo: Huw Evans Agency, Cardiff)
Bellamy went on: “City would never have gone up without players like Naughts, Mark Hudson and others. They had an inner drive, an intensity to get the job done. We were a group of men focused on the goal of promotion.

“We won the title even though we weren’t the best football team in the division.

“There were sides with superior individuals, other teams who passed the ball better. But as a group we were the strongest mentally.

“It was far from easy and there were setbacks at times, but the team work ethic and understanding within the group was second to none.

“We had the right mix of quality and sheer commitment to achieve what we each wanted.”

McNaughton takes charge of his ‘SuperKev XI’ for Sunday’s big match, while Bellamy is player-manager of the opposing team which includes Andy Legg, Andy Campbell, Robert Earnshaw and Darren Purse.

Bellamy talks about his respect for McNaughton, a Scottish international who started his career with Aberdeen and is playing these days for Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

“You knew Kevin McNaughton would and did make the most of his abilities throughout his playing career,” said Bellamy. “He is a great example to youngsters because his attitude and professionalism are spot on.

“I’m not being harsh in saying that ability-wise Naughts wasn’t the most gifted of players, but his work ethic and what he gave to the team were remarkable.

“Every player has a role in the team. They don’t each have to be the best footballers, able to drive the ball or play quick one-twos, but they must know their role.

“Players who understand their role and put the team first are invaluable. Kev always did that and knew what he was good at. Naughts was a key player during almost a decade with the Bluebirds.

“He was an extremely good defender and it was rare to see wingers or forwards get the better of him.

“Supporters took to him because he gave everything for the Bluebirds shirt every time he went out there. They will forgive shortcomings if they see a player committed to the cause.”

Super Kev’s team: Kevin McNaughton, Mark Hudson, Ben Turner, Lee Naylor, Stephen McPhail, Riccy Scimeca, Craig Conway, Don Cowie, Steven Thompson, Michael Chopra, Jon Parkin, Alex Winter, Matthew Pritchard, Barry McNaughton, Ross O’Donaghue, Darren Mackie plus one competition winning fan.

Bellamy’s Battlers: Craig Bellamy, Andy Legg, Darren Purse, Peter Whittingham, Paul Parry, Robert Earnshaw, Andy Campbell, Trevor Sinclair, Craig Noone, Jimmy Floyd-Hasselbaink, Sean Connelly, Chris Barker, Jason Mohammad plus one competition winning fan.

Standard tickets for McNaughton’s benefit match are £10 with concessions available and can be purchased via the Cardiff City ticket website: https://www.eticketing.co.uk/cardiffcit ... emref=5452
The Ticket Office telephone number is 0845 345 1400. Spectators can also pay on the day.

Kick-off is 3pm, Sunday
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:16 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:
Dahboy wrote:

If it really is 450, then yes, but it's a bit late in the day. How reliable is this figure?

It was reliable two days ago :thumbright:

Lets hope the rest of the City fans turn up who are not in Ireland or out for Mothers day :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Its pay on the day :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
llangainbluebird wrote:
Dahboy wrote:

It was reliable two days ago :thumbright:

Lets hope the rest of the City fans turn up who are not in Ireland or out for Mothers day :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Its pay on the day :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Annis, the weather forecast is good and that will influence a lot of our fair weather supporters, so fingers crossed for a decent turnout :thumbup:

I stated some time ago that I wasn't able to attend (not for Mother's Day or Wales international reasons) but I still bought a ticket in support of a man who gave his all for our club and I can't see why others don't do the same, if they are genuine in their regret at not being able to attend

How quickly some forget! :(