Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Best and worst TV and radio pundits

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Sky has Carragher and Neville who are good, butI like Shearer and Keown on BBC but can't stand Lawrenson with his unfunny lines. Also Hartson who has nothing worthwhile to say and is boring to listen to.

Obviously Leighton James voice grates me and his views are one eyed.

Who are the best and worst in your eyes ?

Re: Best and worst TV and radio pundits

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:38 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:Sky has Carragher and Neville who are good, butI like Shearer and Keown on BBC but can't stand Lawrenson with his unfunny lines. Also Hartson who has nothing worthwhile to say and is boring to listen to.

Obviously Leighton James voice grates me and his views are one eyed.

Who are the best and worst in your eyes ?

Most of the people on BT.

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:17 pm

Sutton, Hartson, Terry Butcher, Lawernson are all Tom Kite

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:01 pm

Not so much a pundit but a commentator,John Motson is very much over rated in my eyes.He seems to know all statistics and quite often doesn't know the who scored the goal!!!

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Kevin Ratcliff drives me up the wall and Dean Saunders is another one who rabbits on without making much sense.

I like Nathan Blake and Danny Gabbidon but Rob Phillips is an awful commentator mainly because every time I turn the radio on and the game has already kicked off the first thing he seems to say is 'Cardiff have just let one in' :banghead:

Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:02 am

Michael Owen by far the worst!

Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:50 am

Clive " Engerland" Tyldsley is truly dreadful, but I also agree Motson is dire; never actually commentates just mentions a players name now and then. Best for me is Neville who knows his stuff and has been far less biased towards Man Utd than I expected him to be.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:12 am

Motty is a legend but should have been benched years ago. Agree with Ratcliffe ... just moans and rambles on. Can't stand that wurzel Pierce either.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:06 pm

There's not a lot of good 'uns but that Jonathan Pierce does my f***ing head in :banghead:

Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:44 pm

Good ones:

I like Martin Tyler on Sky as a commentator, he always seems to know his stuff but doesn't often give his opinion and will leave it for the pundits to give the opinions. Five Live commentators are very good too.

Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Alan Shearer and Graham Taylor (RIP) all good pundits.

Like the ones on Sky's Soccer Saturday - all of them just speak what they think, and are often on the money - apart from Paul Merson :lol:

Bad ones:

Kevin Ratcliffe speaks rubbish, and will always try and be negative.

Dean Saunders, Michael Owen, Glenn Hoddle, Mark Lawrenson, Clive Tyldesley, Jonathan Pearce and Alan Green are difficult to listen to at times - particularly Owen.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:13 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Good ones:

I like Martin Tyler on Sky as a commentator, he always seems to know his stuff but doesn't often give his opinion and will leave it for the pundits to give the opinions. Five Live commentators are very good too.

Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Alan Shearer and Graham Taylor (RIP) all good pundits.

Like the ones on Sky's Soccer Saturday - all of them just speak what they think, and are often on the money - apart from Paul Merson :lol:

Bad ones:

Kevin Ratcliffe speaks rubbish, and will always try and be negative.

Dean Saunders, Michael Owen, Glenn Hoddle, Mark Lawrenson, Clive Tyldesley, Jonathan Pearce and Alan Green are difficult to listen to at times - particularly Owen.

Forgot about Alan Green he is dire.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:49 pm

Pat Neven, good guy who understands the game. Doesn't get the TV gigs much because he's not a well known name.

Bad ones, there are far too many to mention. Nearly everyone on Match of the Day is diabolical.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:09 am

For me my favs are Alan Shearer, Danny Mills, Jermaine Jenas, Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher and Graeme Souness.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:21 pm

going on other sports. i enjoy watching the boxing.
Carl Froch was a great boxer but he dont half talk rubbish. and where as im not a fan of tony bellew he talks a hell of a lot of sense when commentating.
worst 1 in football for me is michael owen.
i find robbie savage 1 of the better 1s. that belgium goal was best bit of commentary iv heard in a while

Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:45 am

Alun Green, 5Live commentator...so biased towards Man Utd and his Voice is excruciatingingly annoying. That Geordie, Murray, is also painstakingly sternum irritable!! Garth Crooks is another.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:56 am

Alun Green used to be alright in the late 70s and through the 80s but because he's been at it for so long he thinks he's the world's authority on everything football. I can't take listening to his inane drivel and he spends the whole game waiting for a ref to make an error so he can talk about it from then until the end of his broadcasting days which will hopefully arrive sharpish. :banghead:

A sniper rifle smilie wouldn't go amiss here or I'd settle for a crossbow.