Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' St.Patrick v Shamrock Rovers '

Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:05 pm

' St.Patrick v Shamrock Rovers '

Link
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2017/03/2 ... ck-rovers/ :thumbright:

Went to this local derby Saturday and what a difference it was to the previous nights game Eire v Wales.

As you can imagine it was on a much smaller scale than the previous nights game but it match it in passion and dare I say it won on entertainment easily. The stronger outfit Shamrock Rovers, 3rd in the Irish premier league took an early lead against the bottom of the table home side. They scored in front of the home fans and the way they celebrated right in front of the home ultras was just amusing. Adding to the fun one of the Shamrock fans managed to get into one of the home ends, the end opposite the ultras should I say, pinch a St. Patricks flag and run across the pitch into the saftey of the away end. This doubled the away supports banter with "We've only got your flag". For the record these home ultras had all us visiting Welsh fans in with them and there were quite a few of us. You could see the Welsh flag all over the ground including one in the visitors stand.

The visitors look like they were going to run away with the game but then made it very difficult for themselves. Half way through the first half we saw a repeat of the infamous tackle from the previous night reducing the visitors down to 10 men. From then onward it was all the home side. They played the perfect system against a 10 man team and that was using the full width of the pitch. The home team failed to equalise in the first half but you felt it was only a question of time before they did at the restart.

We had to wait half way through the second half before they did get their goal. The ultras had been supporting their team from the start but now they stepped it up a gear with the help of us Welsh amongst them. The winner came with 10 minutes to go when St.Patrick made their last subsitution after they had won a corner. You all guess right, the substitute with his first touch, a header from the corner that hit the underside of the bar, scored the winner and it resulted in the whole home team celebrating in front of the ultras. You can imagine the passion match anything any of us have witnessed.

The away team tried to get an equaliser as the game neared its end. The ultras cheered their team on to hold on but us Welsh noticed the away keeper getting wound up over anything that did not go his teams way. We switch our attention to having a go against him while the home support begged for the final whistle. Such was the way this game was going us Welsh quitely hoped the away team would get a corner only to see their keeper go up for it and get the equaliser. That never happened fortunately else us Welsh would have applauded him out of respect which would have not been the right thing to do in our position.

A great game at grass roots although it was a Premier status.

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2017/03/2 ... ck-rovers/ :bluebird: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: St.Patrick v Shamrock Rovers

Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Great game to watch obviously standard wasn't high but something different

Few of us in the away end had a Welsh flag over the boarding behind the goals

We even got held in the ground after the final whistle being the away fans !

Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:22 pm

CardiffCityBlue wrote:Great game to watch obviously standard wasn't high but something different

Few of us in the away end had a Welsh flag over the boarding behind the goals

We even got held in the ground after the final whistle being the away fans !

Yes they annouced that you would be held back with 5 minutes to go.

There were quite a few cops with some intimidating alsations outside the ground but nothing on the scale we had witnessed.

Hope there was no trouble.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:28 pm

No trouble at all soon as they let us out after 5 mins we went straight back in St Patrick's pub for a pint

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:03 am

Good on you Ian, I love going to other clubs matches,especially smaller clubs :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:40 am

I had every intention of going but..... well you can guess :occasion5: :oops:

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:19 pm

Few of us was also at this game in the away end, we have some rovers supporting mates who also come over to watch city, by looking at your photos i saw your welsh flag up the back. I was standing in the shed behind the goal

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:21 pm

Few of us was also at this game in the away end, we have some rovers supporting mates who also come over to watch city, by looking at your photos i saw your welsh flag up the back. I was standing in the shed behind the goal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:01 am

A few of us were sat in the home end next to their more vocal fans. Fantastic day! Great to see so much passion from fans in a league that so many people have told me was a 'dead league'! I didn't quite realise how much they hated each other, even after being told that it usually gets a bit interesting between fans :shock: :lol: The pub in front of the ground was great before and after the game, made even better by being the cheapest we paid for pints all weekend in Dublin! All the locals were really friendly, most seemed to make sure they came over to speak to us.

A personal highlight from the game for me was a song from the St Patrick's fans! To the tune of "Yes Sir, I can Boogie" by Baccara...

Oh yes sir,
I can boogie,
But I need a certain team,
I need Patricks,
Super Patricks,
All night long... :clap:

It worked really well in this game! I would love to see us adopt a version of this...maybe with "I need City, Cardiff City" instead of the Patricks part :thumbright:

Re: ' St.Patrick v Shamrock Rovers '

Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:08 am

Cheers Ian enjoyed that great read,thats why I enjoy going to see smaller clubs like Atletico Baleares :thumbright:

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/2017/03/2 ... ck-rovers/ :thumbright: