Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' EARNIE PLEASED TO AT LAST... '

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:13 pm

Robert Earnshaw: ‘I never got a chance to say goodbye’

Article by James Kemble
Image by Jon Candy

Robert Earnshaw is pleased to finally say a more fitting goodbye to Cardiff City fans after a disappointing departure back in 2013.

The former Bluebird made a fairytale return to Cardiff City eight years after leaving his boyhood club for West Bromwich Albion in 2004.

However, it would end bitterly with Malky Mackay shipping Earnshaw to Israel for a loan move, before he left for Canadian club Toronto.

Cardiff City fans only got to see ‘Earnie’ play 19 times in two years upon his return and many were left disappointed with Malky Mackay’s handling of the situation.

It was a far cry from Earnshaw’s breakthrough in 1998 – he went on to score 86 league goals in 183 appearances, quickly becoming a fan favourite at club and national level.

Now at the age of 35 and coaching at Canadian club Vancouver Whitecaps, Earnshaw returned to play in Kev McNaughton’s testimonial on Sunday afternoon.

Speaking at the event, Earnie told of how he’s pleased to finally say a proper goodbye. He said: “It’s such a nice feeling when you walk into the stadium – that old feeling – the pure love for the game from the fans.

“I never got a chance to say goodbye and maybe this is it now, but I’m glad to be back.”

Earnshaw didn’t manage to score in the testimonial but he showed glimpses of skill and class that he demonstrated throughout his career.

The 35-year-old, who still holds a very unique hat-trick record, retired in January 2016 and he paid tribute to former team-mate Kev McNaughton before giving an update on his coaching career.

“Kev contacted me and said we want to bring some players over and I straight away said yes, I have a busy schedule in Canada with the under-15s but I tried my best and made it happen,” he added.

“He’s great, a great team-mate, unselfish and a great team player. He’s great around the dressing room, the things people don’t see, he’s always playing around with jokes and that’s what he’s about.

“To be honest I’m in my second season and it’s been very hard, totally different to playing, but I’m preparing myself and now I’m in a position where I’m confident and comfortable. I’m learning so much and getting better as a coach”.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.