Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING NEWS THERESA MAY ANNOUNCES...(Off-Topic)

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:38 am

Theresa May to seek snap election for 8 June

Tuesday 18th April 2017

WHO WILL YOU VOTE?

UK Prime Minister Theresa May has announced plans to call a snap general election on 8 June.

She said Britain needed certainty, stability and strong leadership following the EU referendum.

Explaining the decision, Mrs May said: "The country is coming together but Westminster is not."

There will be a Commons vote on the proposed election on Wednesday - she will need Parliament's backing to hold a vote before 2020.

Explaining her change of heart on an early election, Mrs May said: "I have concluded the only way to guarantee certainty and security for years ahead is to hold this election."

Mrs May accused Britain's other political parties of "game playing", adding that this risks "our ability to make a success of Brexit and it will cause damaging uncertainty and instability to the country".

"So we need a general election and we need one now. We have at this moment a one off chance to get this done."

In a statement outside Number 10, Mrs May said Labour had threatened to vote against the final Brexit agreement, the Liberal Democrats had stated they wanted to "grind the business of government to a standstill", the SNP had said they would vote against the negotiations and "unelected" members of the House of Lords had vowed "to fight us every step of the way".

"If we don't hold a general election now, their political game-playing will continue and the negotiations with the European Union will reach their most difficult stage in the run up to the next general election," she said.

The PM challenged the opposition parties: "This is your moment to show you mean it - to show you're not opposing the government for the sake of it, to show that you do not treat politics as a game.

"Let's tomorrow vote for an election - let's put forward our plans for Brexit and our alternative programmes for government and then let the people decide."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BREXIT: THERESA MAY ANNOUNCES...(Off-Topic)

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:42 am

Ideal time for it, Labour MPs quaking in their boots

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:45 am

Regardless of personal politics, this has to be a good decision...

I think there will be a few surprises and more than one or two current MP's fearing for their jobs ;)

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:48 am

In case nobody's realized,this will be the 2nd EU referendum. :lol:

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:36 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:In case nobody's realized,this will be the 2nd EU referendum. :lol:

Effectively! ;)

I don't think many will see it any other way but Labour (and the SNP) are already running scared. One member has already accused Theresa May of "political opportunism" :shock:

Can you imagine any other politician taking advantage of an ineffective opposition? Not much! LOL :lol: :lol:

Re: BREAKING NEWS THERESA MAY ANNOUNCES...(Off-Topic)

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:37 pm

English Tories will continue their colonial rule of Cymru.....nothing will change.
Ymlaen at y chwyldro!

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:In case nobody's realized,this will be the 2nd EU referendum. :lol:

Well that's the conspiracy theorists opinion, but she openly said in her statement there will be no 2nd referendum? Is she daft enough to go back on her word after saying it so openly? :o

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:22 pm

Sven wrote:Regardless of personal politics, this has to be a good decision...

I think there will be a few surprises and more than one or two current MP's fearing for their jobs ;)

Well happy :thumbright: :thumbright:

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:26 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Well that's the conspiracy theorists opinion, but she openly said in her statement there will be no 2nd referendum? Is she daft enough to go back on her word after saying it so openly? :o

Not really a conspiracy theorists opinion,just plain observation.She said this morning that there was consensus in the electorate but not in Westminster which is a very poorly coded term for there is no consencus in the Tory party.Obviously she wouldn't give one if the Liberals or the Labour Party were in disarray but it is a chance to silence her critics in her own party and the SNP.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Me too! :thumbright: :thumbright:

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Not really a conspiracy theorists opinion,just plain observation.She said this morning that there was consensus in the electorate but not in Westminster which is a very poorly coded term for there is no consencus in the Tory party.Obviously she wouldn't give one if the Liberals or the Labour Party were in disarray but it is a chance to silence her critics in her own party and the SNP.

Yes she had a big dig at all the parties Inc house lords who are wanting to delay brexit! That's when she categorically said brexit will happen, this election means won't need one during brexit negotiations which can only be good. :thumbup:

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:04 pm

bluemun wrote:English Tories will continue their colonial rule of Cymru.....nothing will change.
Ymlaen at y chwyldro!

Oh dear

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:15 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yes she had a big dig at all the parties Inc house lords who are wanting to delay brexit! That's when she categorically said brexit will happen, this election means won't need one during brexit negotiations which can only be good. :thumbup:

Providing she gets the result.One of the biggest calls ever :thumbup: The Brexiteers will have to get the battle bus back out thought it'll need a paint job as I don't think the electorate will fall for the same lie twice. :lol:

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Im happy labour are shit

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:27 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Providing she gets the result.One of the biggest calls ever :thumbup: The Brexiteers will have to get the battle bus back out thought it'll need a paint job as I don't think the electorate will fall for the same lie twice. :lol:

Labour and snp will hate this torries will win seats in scotland and gain overall in westminster

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:43 pm

bluemun wrote:English Tories will continue their colonial rule of Cymru.....nothing will change.
Ymlaen at y chwyldro!

get a grip

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Don't be too selective, fella! BOTH sides were economic with the truth pre-Brexit vote and BOTH sides have since been proven wrong in their wild predictions! ;)

For me, it was the 'Remoaners' negative (i.e. anti-UK) assertion that the country would implode economically that has been the most embarrassing miscalculation :oops:

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Sven wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Don't be too selective, fella! BOTH sides were economic with the truth pre-Brexit vote and BOTH sides have since been proven wrong in their wild predictions! ;)

For me, it was the 'Remoaners' negative (i.e. anti-UK) assertion that the country would implode economically that has been the most embarrassing miscalculation :oops:

Well Sven you have a point thought being pedantic I could say that theres time enough for an implosion as you put it as we are not even out yet,however,the disarray of the Labour Party,the fact that the SNP issue will not go away shouldn't blind anyone to the fact that the infighting in the Tory ranks are solely responsible for todays election call.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
Sven wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Well Sven you have a point thought being pedantic I could say that theres time enough for an implosion as you put it as we are not even out yet,however,the disarray of the Labour Party,the fact that the SNP issue will not go away shouldn't blind anyone to the fact that the infighting in the Tory ranks are solely responsible for todays election call.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:51 pm

So only a few months before a new labour leader then :clap:

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:54 pm

Ymlaen at y chwyldro!

Your right mate it's time to drive the evil Saxons into the sea :lol: :lol:

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:59 pm

fred keenor wrote:So only a few months before a new labour leader then :clap:

That's the only silver lining.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:19 pm

It will need somebody like a John Smith to turn it around.
As you have stated it's the only silver lining.
Probably even at this stage I think it will be a landslide unfortunately.

No matter who you support the UK needs a credible opposition.

Labour unfortunately does not provide this at present.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:24 pm

Jock wrote:
Ymlaen at y chwyldro!

Your right mate it's time to drive the evil Saxons into the sea :lol: :lol:

and of course join the Welsh league :o

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:47 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
Sven wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Well tory's miles ahead in polls Labour totally unelectable nothing to lose in Scotland as snp most mps it would take a miracle not to elect may with improved majority! May knows this and that's why she's called it now. :thumbup:

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Death of the traitor party
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:02 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Sven wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Well tory's miles ahead in polls Labour totally unelectable nothing to lose in Scotland as snp most mps it would take a miracle not to elect may with improved majority! May knows this and that's why she's called it now. :thumbup:

Yup,thats about right but it still doesn't make what I'e said wrong-She also needs a big enough majority to quell the idiots in her own party.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Let me down every time :evil:

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:07 pm

grange_end1927 wrote:Let me down every time :evil:

And so it begins :lol:

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Ymlaen at y chwyldro!

I would rather the "English Tories" than the alternatives available at this present time :thumbup: