Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" CARDIFF CITY FANS AWAY AT WIGAN TODAY "

Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:42 pm

729 Cardiff City Fans away at Wigan Today :bluebird: :bluebird: :ayatollah:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " CARDIFF CITY FANS AWAY AT WIGAN TODAY "

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:35 pm

Good away support 729 Cardiff fans :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:35 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Good away support 729 Cardiff fans :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Yes good and totally opposite to the numbers taken north this season, for a nothing game against a less than glamorous club and with the likely hood of changes as we seen. Maybe the ticket prices are having more of an impact than we think, not making excuses but who expected over 700 today? Bizzare.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:28 am

Stringfellow wrote:

Yes good and totally opposite to the numbers taken north this season, for a nothing game against a less than glamorous club and with the likely hood of changes as we seen. Maybe the ticket prices are having more of an impact than we think, not making excuses but who expected over 700 today? Bizzare.

Gareth, def good away support yesterday, but as a Championship club the size of ours, we should be taking that up North all the time and selling out at places like Bristol C, Bristol Rovers,Reading,Brum,Fulham, Qpr, Brentford aways etc.

I do believe money is a factor and the cost over all, £20 max for an adult and £10 for an under 16, would see a huge increase in my opinion :thumbright: :thumbright:

I reckon we will see a big increase away next season. :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:58 am

Not a ground we've been to often, 3 O'clock Sat ok, no restrictions, pay in the day known well in advance.

All good reasons why we had a few extra up there

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:01 am

Lawnmower wrote:Not a ground we've been to often, 3 O'clock Sat ok, no restrictions, pay in the day known well in advance.

Tim, 95% of our away games are 3pm and NO restrictions and pay on the day.

Personally I feel the feel good factor is returning and its down to Neil Warnocks attitude/closeness to our fans (bond), our fans are starting to feel part of our club again :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:33 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Stringfellow wrote:

Gareth, def good away support yesterday, but as a Championship club the size of ours, we should be taking that up North all the time and selling out at places like Bristol C, Bristol Rovers,Reading,Brum,Fulham, Qpr, Brentford aways etc.

I do believe money is a factor and the cost over all, £20 max for an adult and £10 for an under 16, would see a huge increase in my opinion :thumbright: :thumbright:

I reckon we will see a big increase away next season. :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Annis, dont take this the wrong way, just a question not having a pop.

In the past you have said that people use the money thing as an excuse and dont have problems finding it when we were in the Premiership or doing well etc, but have suggested above that you believe that money is a factor, does this mean you have changed your mind?.

For the record, I believe that people do use the money thing as an excuse, I accept that for some it plays a factor but also believe for many it delivers the perfect excuse.

Ill give you an example, we took 300 odd to Leeds with the price of the ticket being used as a main factor yet took 1700 to QPR a few weeks later with the tickets being £2 less.

I appreciate that QPR is an hour closer than Leeds, but an extra 1,400? I just cant get my head around that. I think some times people should just say they don't fancy it.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:01 am

RV Casual wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Stringfellow wrote:

In the past you have said that people use the money thing as an excuse and dont have problems finding it when we were in the Premiership or doing well etc, but have suggested above that you believe that money is a factor, does this mean you have changed your mind?.

For the record, I believe that people do use the money thing as an excuse, I accept that for some it plays a factor but also believe for many it delivers the perfect excuse.

Ill give you an example, we took 300 odd to Leeds with the price of the ticket being used as a main factor yet took 1700 to QPR a few weeks later with the tickets being £2 less.

I appreciate that QPR is an hour closer than Leeds, but an extra 1,400? I just cant get my head around that. I think some times people should just say they don't fancy it.

Fans will find the money if its success orientated, but if a club is just stable, the price factor will come in to some fans minds and so if some of the floating fans see a cheap day out,that can only help in persuading them to go away or even home games. :thumbright:

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Stringfellow wrote:

Fans will find the money if its success orientated, but if a club is just stable, the price factor will come in to some fans minds and so if some of the floating fans see a cheap day out,that can only help in persuading them to go away or even home games. :thumbright:

Absolutely spot on, and as a mid table team the finances do dictate. I agree we will see increased support next season and am looking forward to it. :thumbup:

Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Lawnmower wrote:Not a ground we've been to often, 3 O'clock Sat ok, no restrictions, pay in the day known well in advance.

I think the fact that it's not a ground we've been to often is a good shout.

A poster on here recently was saying how our fans are "tired" of visiting the same old grounds every season.

But hundreds manage to find the money and make the effort when it's a ground we don't go to often, like Burton, Villa or Wigan.

I foresee a rush for tickets for Fleetwood away next season if they come up.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:33 pm

There are reasons which have an effect on away support and they are ticket prices, travel prices but most importantly how the team are doing in the league. If we were in a playoff place then the away attendance would double.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Tim, 95% of our away games are 3pm and NO restrictions and pay on the day.

Personally I feel the feel good factor is returning and its down to Neil Warnocks attitude/closeness to our fans (bond), our fans are starting to feel part of our club again :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Most of the time it's not announced 'pay on the day' until it's too late and not publicised either.
Hopefully this will be put right next year.
The floating fans are definitely put off.

3 of our recent always with poor followings were midweek- Derby, Barnsley, Blackburn.

We also had Preston and Brighton away in midweek.
On top of this was a needless early k.o for Brentford, and also Bristol City at 12 - and Forest on Sky at 5.30

That's over 1/3 of our fixtures and we've got the joys of another 12 o clock ok for a 4 hour trip up North again next. With Sheffield Weds being a Friday the total 3pm Saturday Kos this season will be just over half of our seats.

It's getting better, but is still not great.

I'm hoping next season will be better, a few new grounds, or at least different to the norm, maybe Swansea and perhaps a loosening of the now unnecessary membership scheme.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:13 pm

Lots preferred to spend their money going to Ireland, France or other always with Wales in the last 12 months as well, rather than go to Championship grounds they've done many times before
Also using up their time off and 'Brownie points'.
It's definitely had an effect on the numbers on my coach this year.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Lawnmower wrote:Lots preferred to spend their money going to Ireland, France or other always with Wales in the last 12 months as well, rather than go to Championship grounds they've done many times before
Also using up their time off and 'Brownie points'.
It's definitely had an effect on the numbers on my coach this year.

Tim and in 2015-16 Season ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Same things.
Plus shite football and fans even more unhappy with what was happening off field than they are now.

We've never been high in those tables as we don't get many local games with big allocations.

Northern, London and Midlands clubs get loads of easy trips and offers of massive allocations at many.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:51 pm

Lawnmower wrote:Same things.
Plus shite football and fans even more unhappy with what was happening off field than they are now.

We've never been high in those tables as we don't get many local games with big allocations.

Northern, London and Midlands clubs get loads of easy trips and offers of massive allocations at many.

Tim, Correct fans were unhappy with what was happening off the field at our club and were hurt badly.

We've had Bristol City, Bristol Rovers,Brentford,Aston Villa,Birmingham, WBA, Reading, Qpr,Fulham etc

I actually thinks many older fans prefered the days of Exeter City,Swansea,Bristol Rovers, Newport, Hereford,Torquay,Plymouth,Walsall, Kidderminster,Cheltenham, Oxford, Swindon etc away, We use to sell all them out in Div 3 & 4.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:06 pm

Annis.
Only a couple who travelled with us dropped out over the rebrand and they did that straight away.
Most who cut down their games just did so for lack of excitement, one way or another.
Slade's management, lack of goals, players worth watching, boring football, no chance of us going anywhere. Lots found Wales away more interesting and exciting, but the cost and time off meant they often couldn't do both.
That was still the same for the first few months of this season, it's better now, but this season was over by Feb.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:29 am

Lawnmower wrote:Annis.
Only a couple who travelled with us dropped out over the rebrand and they did that straight away.
Most who cut down their games just did so for lack of excitement, one way or another.
Slade's management, lack of goals, players worth watching, boring football, no chance of us going anywhere. Lots found Wales away more interesting and exciting, but the cost and time off meant they often couldn't do both.
That was still the same for the first few months of this season, it's better now, but this season was over by Feb.

Tim, Surely supporting your club does not mean that if you don't like Slade/Ole etc that you stop going?

Support your club in my eyes is throughout the good and bad days :thumbright: :bluebird:

City were always just outside the play-offs under Russell Slade, I find it a feeble excuse to not go when your club is 8th in the Championship, so I don't believe that excuse.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:45 am

Last season under Slade our away support suffered because people, which was their prerogative chose to save up to go and follow Wales at the Euros, myself included in what was possibly a once in a lifetime event.

That's not a feeble excuse but an honest fact. I only did one away game last season when I would normally do anything between 6-10, that was replicated accross all my City supporting mates.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:34 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Tim, Surely supporting your club does not mean that if you don't like Slade/Ole etc that you stop going?

Support your club in my eyes is throughout the good and bad days :thumbright: :bluebird:

City were always just outside the play-offs under Russell Slade, I find it a feeble excuse to not go when your club is 8th in the Championship, so I don't believe that excuse.

Annis, it happens . Not everyone feels as strongly about the club.
Some go everywhere, some to most, some occasionally and some only when it's exciting.

That's just the way it is.

We have very few fans who put the club before everything else

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:36 pm

RV Casual wrote:Last season under Slade our away support suffered because people, which was their prerogative chose to save up to go and follow Wales at the Euros, myself included in what was possibly a once in a lifetime event.

That's not a feeble excuse but an honest fact. I only did one away game last season when I would normally do anything between 6-10, that was replicated accross all my City supporting mates.

And this season?

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:37 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Annis, it happens . Not everyone feels as strongly about the club.
Some go everywhere, some to most, some occasionally and some only when it's exciting.

That's just the way it is.

We have very few fans who put the club before everything else

Tim, I know in my heart sadly your 100% right on this.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:17 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:Last season under Slade our away support suffered because people, which was their prerogative chose to save up to go and follow Wales at the Euros, myself included in what was possibly a once in a lifetime event.

And this season?

And this season the Welsh feel good factor continued which has absolutely dented our away support, 3,000 to Austria in October and 4-5,000+ to Ireland in March, the fact is a lot of people who used to watch us would now rather spend £1,000 doing two Wales away trips in 6 months than 10 away games with City at £100 a day out in the same period and quite frankly who can blame them as Wales away pisses all over following Cardiff these days.

Add to that it has been an absolute dismal season for us and by the time the season finishes we would have had 10 of our 24 away games not at 3pm on Saturdays with all but 1 of those over a 300 mile round trip and most 350+ with a few 400+

Our 4 original scheduled mid-week games were Preston, Blackburn, Barnsley and Derby! 3 of them are over 400+mile round trips and even Derby is a 300 mile round trip.

We also had both our Christmas fixtures moved, Brentford to an early kick off and Brighton to a Friday Night!! and then Bristol City moved to an early kick off.

I am not saying we are the worst but there wont be that many teams that have it as bad as us when it comes to following their team on the road lets be honest and that is shown in our average following.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:50 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Stringfellow wrote:

Excellent/Honest Post :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:37 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

And this season?

And this season the Welsh feel good factor continued which has absolutely dented our away support, 3,000 to Austria in October and 4-5,000+ to Ireland in March, the fact is a lot of people who used to watch us would now rather spend £1,000 doing two Wales away trips in 6 months than 10 away games with City at £100 a day out in the same period and quite frankly who can blame them as Wales away pisses all over following Cardiff these days.

Add to that it has been an absolute dismal season for us and by the time the season finishes we would have had 10 of our 24 away games not at 3pm on Saturdays with all but 1 of those over a 300 mile round trip and most 350+ with a few 400+

Our 4 original scheduled mid-week games were Preston, Blackburn, Barnsley and Derby! 3 of them are over 400+mile round trips and even Derby is a 300 mile round trip.

We also had both our Christmas fixtures moved, Brentford to an early kick off and Brighton to a Friday Night!! and then Bristol City moved to an early kick off.

I am not saying we are the worst but there wont be that many teams that have it as bad as us when it comes to following their team on the road lets be honest and that is shown in our average following.

good post
the only thing id like to add is the Euros probably had an affect on this season too ,as many over spent in France having originally not giving much thought to anything other than the groups stage. it just got more and more expensive. strangely ive read lots on here regarding how rediculous 36 quid was for Leeds but very little about the Euro prices which were insane.