Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

New Owners?

Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:55 pm

I'm on this site all the time but very rarely post anything myself. I was told today by a neighbour of mine ( who is part of our medical team) that there's a rumour going around the club that Vincent Tan is in discussions with a Chinese group who are interested in buying the club, and that they'll be at the Newcastle game. This is probably a load of "old tosh", but just in case it turns out to be true, just remember where you heard it first! :bluescarf:

Re: New Owners?

Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:07 pm

Wouldn't surprise me I expect most clubs over here will have Chinese owners in few years time.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Oh PLEASE let it be true!!!

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:22 pm

Jing Lizhang, president of DDMC?

Be scared. If this guy and company buy us they will may Tony Adams our manager.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:34 pm

Wayne S wrote:Jing Lizhang, president of DDMC?

Be scared. If this guy and company buy us they will may Tony Adams our manager.

Plus a few Belgium waffles?

Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:06 pm

Hope not the club finally seem to be going in the right direction.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:58 am

Without any further payments from the PL after next season, I'm sure VT is looking to sell.
I posted a few weeks ago that the daily mail were quoting the above Chinese group were looking to purchase a Belgium and British club.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:35 am

2blue2handle wrote:Hope not the club finally seem to be going in the right direction.

This

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:18 am

Buchanan's Exocet wrote:Oh PLEASE let it be true!!!

Be careful what you wish for.

Two years ago I would have agreed with you. I hate what Tan did to our club, I went on protest marches, I helped organise the infamous sit in when the club turned all the lights off to get us out. I also joined the Bluebirds Unite committee. But things have changed a lot since then. He realised the rebrand was a big mistake and restored our colour and Bluebird on the badge. He's now getting the club finances sorted out. He's keeping a low profile and he's finally employed an experienced manager that CAN get us promoted. It's taken him 6 years but he's finally learning how to run a football club.

Yes Vincent Tan ripped the guts out of our club and it'll go down as arguably the worst period in our history but now it's time to move on as one, put the rebrand behind us and look forward and I for one would be happy if Tan remained and continues to run the club as he's doing.

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:23 am

Penyfai Blue wrote:

Two years ago I would have agreed with you. I hate what Tan did to our club, I went on protest marches, I helped organise the infamous sit in when the club turned all the lights off to get us out. I also joined the Bluebirds Unite committee. But things have changed a lot since then. He realised the rebrand was a big mistake and restored our colour and Bluebird on the badge. He's now getting the club finances sorted out. He's keeping a low profile and he's finally employed an experienced manager that CAN get us promoted. It's taken him 6 years but he's finally learning how to run a football club.

Yes Vincent Tan ripped the guts out of our club and it'll go down as arguably the worst period in our history but now it's time to move on as one, put the rebrand behind us and look forward and I for one would be happy if Tan remained and continues to run the club as he's doing.

Top post ,sometimes better the devil you know

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:33 am

wez1927 wrote:
Penyfai Blue wrote:

:thumbup: Time to move on from the rebrand.
Tan is learning from his mistakes. Many people said he could have become a legend at Cardiff if he hadn't brought in the rebrand.
Time is a great healer. It's never too late!

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:52 am

Do you not learn?

Tan is probably one of the better owners out there. Yes he royally screwed up with the re-brand but since then he has been nothing but a good owner. You finally seem to be run on an even keel. The last thing you need is a fresh batch of foreign owners ready to make the same mistakes all over again, possibly this time with far worse consequences.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:53 am

wez1927 wrote:
Penyfai Blue wrote:

Depends what you want from your football club l suppose

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:59 am

They love a dragon the Chinese. I heard they also are planning on serving monkey brains and dolphin fins in the hospitality lounge.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:01 am

SnackaJack wrote:

Do you not learn?

Tan is probably one of the better owners out there. Yes he royally screwed up with the re-brand but since then he has been nothing but a good owner. You finally seem to be run on an even keel. The last thing you need is a fresh batch of foreign owners ready to make the same mistakes all over again, possibly this time with far worse consequences.

agree , he did make mistakes but he has learnt from them , I'm not a Tan lover but this is def case of better the devil you know

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:17 am

From what I can see these Chinese guys are building a World Wide portfolio of sporting teams, money is not huge, it also appears the money for any major investment would be borrowed. This has trouble written all over it :roll:

Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Most likely nothing ado with us but we will wait and see.

If it is us I certainly will not be lifting their flag like I did for the Malaysians.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:26 pm

[quote="Cityblues"]I'm on this site all the time but very rarely post anything myself. I was told today by a neighbour of mine ( who is part of our medical team) that there's a rumour going around the club that Vincent Tan is in discussions with a Chinese group who are interested in buying the club, and that they'll be at the Newcastle game. This is probably a load of "old tosh", but just in case it turns out to be true, just remember where you heard it first! :bluescarf:[/quote]
I have no way of knowing the accuracy of your posting but I firmly believe that the present owners are quite content to see City remain in the Championship with no ambition what so ever for financing a serious push for promotion

Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:31 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Penyfai Blue wrote:

Yes wez I agree.
Good post as well by penyfai

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:07 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Penyfai Blue wrote:

Yes wez I agree.
Good post as well by penyfai

I agree too,good post,good attitude :clap:

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:26 pm

since64 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Penyfai Blue wrote:

Depends what you want from your football club l suppose

i imagine first and foremost the majority want
a team to suport and not just any team. but Cardiff City.
and not to be following FC City of Cardiff or Cardiff 1908 or some other reformed club which is probably what we would be doing now had Tan not stepped in.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:04 pm

Penyfai Blue wrote:

Great post! :thumbup: :ayatollah:

I was never one for all the public protests against a man who (some would say foolishly) ploughed many millions of pounds into a rapidly sinking ship when he could so easily have let the club fold

That's not to say I was happy with the red thing; I certainly was not, but it was never going to detract from my support of the club itself or the players on the pitch!

When that (and a few unwise comments) are taken away, Vincent Tan helped pick us up from the dust and we moved rapidly towards a brighter future via a League Cup Final we could/should have won and then our reaching the Premier League

That things didn't work out was down to a combination of things, including the owner himself, the self-destruction of the (up to then great) manager at the time and the fans who allowed his self-interested antics to detract from the rising issues both on and off the field

To me, it seems that on the whole everyone involved with the club has learned some hard lessons and finally the club one again appears to be moving forward and is heading towards a sustainable and promising future under Vincent Tan's ownership and Neil Warnock's management

I'm not too sure any team (owner and manager) could be doing a better job for City at the moment and I think we should be just a little grateful we haven't been allowed to slip into an abyss in similar fashion to a number of other clubs of late and (maybe worse) walked away from our obligations in an effort to con others into a phoenix like a certain other club we love to hate! ;)

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Sven wrote:
Penyfai Blue wrote:

I was never one for all the public protests against a man who (some would say foolishly) ploughed many millions of pounds into a rapidly sinking ship when he could so easily have let the club fold

That's not to say I was happy with the red thing; I certainly was not, but it was never going to detract from my support of the club itself or the players on the pitch!

When that (and a few unwise comments) are taken away, Vincent Tan helped pick us up from the dust and we moved rapidly towards a brighter future via a League Cup Final we could/should have won and then our reaching the Premier League

That things didn't work out was down to a combination of things, including the owner himself, the self-destruction of the (up to then great) manager at the time and the fans who allowed his self-interested antics to detract from the rising issues both on and off the field

To me, it seems that on the whole everyone involved with the club has learned some hard lessons and finally the club one again appears to be moving forward and is heading towards a sustainable and promising future under Vincent Tan's ownership and Neil Warnock's management

I'm not too sure any team (owner and manager) could be doing a better job for City at the moment and I think we should be just a little grateful we haven't been allowed to slip into an abyss in similar fashion to a number of other clubs of late and (maybe worse) walked away from our obligations in an effort to con others into a phoenix like a certain other club we love to hate! ;)

100% agree, brilliant post :occasion5:

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:21 pm

Sven wrote:
Penyfai Blue wrote:

.....in a nutshell :thumbup:

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:48 pm

Sven wrote:
Penyfai Blue wrote:

Excellent post and I agree with nearly all of it however it is based on Vincent Tan wanting to remain as owner. I don't know for sure but I have a gut feeling that if he was made an offer which gave him the majority of his money back he would be gone.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:14 pm

I think it can be difficult to judge an owner until after their reign has ended. Lots of people thought Hammam was a brilliant owner until his later days at the club. A lot of those fans who chanted "we want Sam Hammam walking round the ground" probably would'nt want him near the ground today.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:19 pm

How refreshing to see positivity flowing through this thread, We move on.
Must say among those good posts was the most sensible well thought out post I have read for a long long time .

Take a bow Sven :thumbup:

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Jules wrote:How refreshing to see positivity flowing through this thread, We move on.
Must say among those good posts was the most sensible well thought out post I have read for a long long time .

Sensible posters on this thread, the club bashers must be giving it a wide birth :lol:

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:27 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Jules wrote:How refreshing to see positivity flowing through this thread, We move on.

Sensible posters on this thread, the club bashers must be giving it a wide birth :lol:

I think most of us have given the club a verbal bashing over the last 5 or 6 years for one reason or another, but it's time to put all that behind us and move on. Things are finally looking good on and off the pitch, long may it continue :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:36 pm

Penyfai Blue wrote:

I think that under the current owners City can look forward to a few more years in the Championship. Despite Warnock's enthusiasm for next season, without significant spending City are more likely to be looking up the table, than down. As clubs from the Premiership come down each year with their parachute payments, the rest of the clubs need to improve year on year just to stand still.

Tan isn't likely to 'splash the cash' again, although the £6 million that Warnock's been promised isn't chicken-feed either, but a new owner would almost certainly look for something more than mid-table mediocrity, and would look to invest to achieve success. Shrewd, mega-rich Chinese owners, who now how to make a club like City a successful one, wouldn't be a disaster..