dannyblue wrote:

Cheers Tony understood.

Dont ask next time then :lol:

Re: Some Cardiff Fans say we should not talk about the past

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:50 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Its good Talking about past but usually it's a healthy debate! But if people want to dwell on a particular part and not let it go that's their parogative? Life is to short personally to let it bother me, especially as it no longer exists? :old:

Allan,
Well I know we are not still the FA CUP holders and I know John Toshack is no longer to do with Cardiff, but fans like to still talk about them and will do in many years to come and rightly so :thumbright:

Quite agree and board blamed for selling tosh and ultimately robbing us of promotion ! But sure fans don't hold a grudge against them? Like said it's anyone's porogotive how they view the past but it is the past and life moves on just like our club. :thumbup:

Totally Wrong Allan.

Cardiff fans did blame the board for many many years, saying lack of ambition by them.

Life does move on, but we still talk about World War 1 and 2 and the Vikings and The Romans , do we not, Allan, you will argue even when its black and white :lol:

:laughing6: I actually said fans blamed board :thumbup: but fans don't hold a grudge against them.! No idea what your point is as said previously in this post nothing wrong in talking about past? And talking about past is fine but some cannot move on from the past happenings and that's their parogative.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:40 pm

Nothing wrong with talking about the past. I love recalling our promotion from division three in 1975/76. Every one of us must have a favourite CCFC memory.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:47 pm

Nothing wrong with talking about the past but there is a bit of a difference of reliving past glories and not letting recent mistakes get forgotten.

Sometimes it is just good to let things go...

Like how Tan should've let the whole vendetta against Malky go when he got the Wigan job

or how some folks still use phrases like 'Tan's Red Brigade' which for my mind just keeps opening up old wounds for little purpose or benefit.

Both different sides of the same coin if you ask me and personally I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wants to dwell on the rebrand as part of our recent history as anything other than something we should all best leave in the past and try and move on from.

But to the point of the original post - if people do want to talk about it then that's down to them - nothing to do with me or anyone else and they should be free to do talk about what they want - it's just not a conversation I want to keep having myself - but if wallowing in misery is your thing - it's a free world still (for now at least) so fill your boots!

:thumbup:

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:25 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:Nothing wrong with talking about the past. I love recalling our promotion from division three in 1975/76. Every one of us must have a favourite CCFC memory.

Favourite CCFC memory would be a good thread couldn't decide between Leeds or playoff final

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:35 pm

Pencoed wrote:
llangainbluebird wrote:Nothing wrong with talking about the past. I love recalling our promotion from division three in 1975/76. Every one of us must have a favourite CCFC memory.

Favourite CCFC memory would be a good thread couldn't decide between Leeds or playoff final

Real Madrid for me. Not just the match, the whole build up including the Echo pull-out special which I still have somewhere.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:49 pm

When you look back to the past and remember the memories, the ones that stick in the mind are the good times and the bad, and that is the way it is.
When I look back at my times supporting the city my main memories is my very first game home and away, Those interesting games in the early 80s. Also the promotion team of 93 and all our trips to Wembley. The bad the relegations and Black Friday and of coarse the re brand.
Which was the main event of happiness? That was the 93 season for me and the saddest and biggest memory of the City was sadly the re brand. Yes we still talk about it because it still feels raw and as far as I'm concerned it ruined the Club and it's fan base.
So yes we will talk about it because we want to and it's our right, its also the right of those fans who excepted the re brand they don't want to Talk about it. Maybe it's because of the remorse and regret ? I don't know but if we still want to talk about it we friggin well will.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:05 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:When you look back to the past and remember the memories, the ones that stick in the mind are the good times and the bad, and that is the way it is.
When I look back at my times supporting the city my main memories is my very first game home and away, Those interesting games in the early 80s. Also the promotion team of 93 and all our trips to Wembley. The bad the relegations and Black Friday and of coarse the re brand.
Which was the main event of happiness? That was the 93 season for me and the saddest and biggest memory of the City was sadly the re brand. Yes we still talk about it because it still feels raw and as far as I'm concerned it ruined the Club and it's fan base.
So yes we will talk about it because we want to and it's our right, its also the right of those fans who excepted the re brand they don't want to Talk about it. Maybe it's because of the remorse and regret ? I don't know but if we still want to talk about it we friggin well will.

I had reservations about reading it, but Scott Johnson's book is very good. It covers the whole, sorry saga. He makes the point that the events needed to be recorded, so that they never happen again.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:19 pm

lets be honest here .the rebrand could have been stopped in its tracks.
VT even offered to reverse it .
no daily protests with pple holding placards outside ground
very poorly attended early marches
and only a handful took up the clubs offer to refund ST money.
those that are not joining in the anti tan feeding frenzy once a week might well feel remorse and regret at doing nothing. but also know that having done nothing apart from watch tan spend his money it would be hypocritical to now be playing the superfan.WE DID NOTHING TO STOP IT..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HjqOiA ... pp=desktop

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:29 am

dogfound wrote:lets be honest here .the rebrand could have been stopped in its tracks.
those that are not joining in the anti tan feeding frenzy once a week might well feel remorse and regret at doing nothing. but also know that having done nothing apart from watch tan spend his money it would be hypocritical to now be playing the superfan.WE DID NOTHING TO STOP IT..

Sadly you are right in what you say

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:15 am

people would have to be around 100 years old to remember it, nobody remembers it as nobody was alive back then

https://gclub24hr.com

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:38 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:Nothing wrong with talking about the past but there is a bit of a difference of reliving past glories and not letting recent mistakes get forgotten.

Sometimes it is just good to let things go...

Like how Tan should've let the whole vendetta against Malky go when he got the Wigan job

or how some folks still use phrases like 'Tan's Red Brigade' which for my mind just keeps opening up old wounds for little purpose or benefit.

Both different sides of the same coin if you ask me and personally I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wants to dwell on the rebrand as part of our recent history as anything other than something we should all best leave in the past and try and move on from.

But to the point of the original post - if people do want to talk about it then that's down to them - nothing to do with me or anyone else and they should be free to do talk about what they want - it's just not a conversation I want to keep having myself - but if wallowing in misery is your thing - it's a free world still (for now at least) so fill your boots!

:thumbup:

Great post :thumbup: Fully agree nothing wrong with posting about the past, good or bad, but it is unhealthy to dwell on it simply to carry out vendetta's

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:08 pm

dogfound wrote:lets be honest here .the rebrand could have been stopped in its tracks.

In a sense I do blame the fan leaders. They was the ones who was saying we are all sorry Vinny please reconsider turn us red and so he did. Vinny always said he thought the fans were behind him but no they wasn't the fans leaders told him we were. They made the decisions on our behalf and that hurt more than anything. Controversial I know and that is my personal view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HjqOiA ... pp=desktop :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:58 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

In a sense I do blame the fan leaders. They was the ones who was saying we are all sorry Vinny please reconsider turn us red and so he did. Vinny always said he thought the fans were behind him but no they wasn't the fans leaders told him we were. They made the decisions on our behalf and that hurt more than anything. Controversial I know and that is my personal view.

Spot on Nukes.

The club officials totally backed the Red Brigade and I attended every meeting where fans who stood up for the Blue, were frightened,threatened and attacked.

Also a lot of Club officials did very very well out of the rebrand and lets say turned a blind eye to a lot that went on.

This is just a couple of things,that went on and thats why I despised it even more.

Over the two year period, I attended over 20 meetings to try and get our identity back.

Our final march finally was a success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HjqOiA ... pp=desktop :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:43 pm

dannyblue wrote:
SnackaJack wrote:I see both points of view. Being proud of what a club has achieved is fine, talking about it openly is fine. Dwelling on it may stunt the forward thinking ambitions of both fan and club. Swansea beat Real Madrid 3-0 away and it never gets a mention because like the 1927 Cup win, people would have to be around 100 years old to remember it, nobody remembers it as nobody was alive back then (or very few at least) so "reminiscing" as such on subjects like that seems a tad disingenuous. The League Cup in 2013, beating European Champions over 2 legs without conceding a goal, beating Man United 4 times out of 5 home and away, doing the doubke over Arsenal and Man United, 3-0 away to Valencia... These barely get a mention these days but are very special memories, focus is purely on what is still to be achieved not what we already have done.... Let aone a century ago. Very proud and will happily chat about those achievements though, but not at the expense of dwelling on them.

I would be interested for you to confirm When Swansea Town/City beat Real Madrid 3 - 0. I am surprised that I have never heard of such a result. and all my searches have been negative, not even a mention of a Swansea Real Fixture in their Competition Records.

1926 on a preseason tour of spain, think they were only called Madrid FC then, and not playing in any league then

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:04 pm

rontom wrote:
dannyblue wrote:
SnackaJack wrote:I see both points of view. Being proud of what a club has achieved is fine, talking about it openly is fine. Dwelling on it may stunt the forward thinking ambitions of both fan and club. Swansea beat Real Madrid 3-0 away and it never gets a mention because like the 1927 Cup win, people would have to be around 100 years old to remember it, nobody remembers it as nobody was alive back then (or very few at least) so "reminiscing" as such on subjects like that seems a tad disingenuous. The League Cup in 2013, beating European Champions over 2 legs without conceding a goal, beating Man United 4 times out of 5 home and away, doing the doubke over Arsenal and Man United, 3-0 away to Valencia... These barely get a mention these days but are very special memories, focus is purely on what is still to be achieved not what we already have done.... Let aone a century ago. Very proud and will happily chat about those achievements though, but not at the expense of dwelling on them.

I would be interested for you to confirm When Swansea Town/City beat Real Madrid 3 - 0. I am surprised that I have never heard of such a result. and all my searches have been negative, not even a mention of a Swansea Real Fixture in their Competition Records.

1926 on a preseason tour of spain, think they were only called Madrid FC then, and not playing in any league then

They have never met in a competitive match which is why nobody has heard of this game. Exactly the same as when Premier League clubs lose against non league clubs in pre season games, no-one is particularly interested in warm up games being used as means of getting fit, and giving the opportunity for a multitude of players to have a kick around. Almost a joke that it was even mentioned.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:36 pm

Our past shapes our future.

Through highs and lows, success and failure, agreement and disagreements true City fans will also agree on one thing...

Our team :)

C'mon City :bluebird:

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
rontom wrote:
dannyblue wrote:

They have never met in a competitive match which is why nobody has heard of this game. Exactly the same as when Premier League clubs lose against non league clubs in pre season games, no-one is particularly interested in warm up games being used as means of getting fit, and giving the opportunity for a multitude of players to have a kick around. Almost a joke that it was even mentioned.

Cheers Steve I was aware of that and the reason I
asked in what competition. At least we're one of a very few UK clubs who have beaten what is considered to be the greatest Madrid side of all time, and in a worthwhile competition. Obviously the fans talk about it, its worth talking about .

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:15 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

fully aware of what happened.
but WE DID NOTHING. i know i didnt other than wear blue.which i admit was a token effort.
i kept my season ticket,still went to games.WE lost our colours in the first couple of days because there was so little resistence.
i cant help thinking VT got treated unfairly.. from his view ,we kept having very good crowds for us,and in those first few months the view from the directors box was as red as it was blue if not more red is the real truth it did change but took way too long. the first protest march was hundreds not thousands, some people moaned on the radio and some on message boards, there was one anti rebrand billboard , but little else.
most fans were torn,not between the colours but between investment and not having investment.ive never once heard any Cardiff fan say they were pleased with red, or wish we were still in red and ive spoken to hundreds.
but for some to take the high ground and make out that they are better or more blue than others especially if they continued going themselves is plain wrong.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:45 pm

dannyblue wrote:Cheers Steve I was aware of that and the reason I
asked in what competition. At least we're one of a very few UK clubs who have beaten what is considered to be the greatest Madrid side of all time, and in a worthwhile competition. Obviously the fans talk about it, its worth talking about .

You were not aware of that lets not rewrite history Danny. You didnt ask what competition, you asked when did we play them as you couldn't find any record on google. To which I replied 1926/27 season.

But on a side note, when they beat you over the 2 legs they finished joint on points with 6th in that La Liga season and 4th the season after. They were certainly not the greatest team of all time.... We did however beat the actual reigning Europen Champions in a major Cup competition at the Semi Final stage over 2 legs without conceding a goal ;)

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:02 am

Nuclearblue wrote:

You mean these letters asking for a return to Red after Vinny changed his mind (they are cringeworthy reading mind)

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... ng-2030643

Dear Mr Tan,

I appeal to you – please do not be offended by some of the comments that we made.

I feel a lot of those were comments that were not from true fans but people who wanted to create problems and from those who might have come from outside our club.

We know some fans have taken the wrong attitude. I just hope you can forgive us and give us the chance to earn your trust again.

The majority of genuine fans appreciate what you have done and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We only hope you stay with us because we want to form a strong bond. That’s what most of us want.

And a lot of us are really embarrassed by some of the messages that have been put out there from people.

Success is assured if you stay on long term, and when you went around the pitch with TG (versus Crystal Palace) we could see you were taking it all in. You were glowing then and I think that was when you fell in love with Cardiff City.

I understand if you think a lot of the fans have turned on you, but honestly that’s not the case.

Yours sincerely, GWYN DAVIES (Valley Rams supporters group)

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:36 am

Another one

Dear Vincent and Dato,

The vast majority of people are behind you because they appreciate the £40m you have put into the club already.

I would like to apologise for all the vitriol you have had to put up with.

There were people who were pretending to be from our club who were jealous and they jumped on the bandwagon because a lot of people didn’t want us to have that investment.

But we can absolutely still make the Premier League.

We know there’s no investment in South Wales – that’s pretty obvious. What there is, has all got to be shared between the rugby and Swansea City – we know there’s no other way.

But you are developing grassroots football in Malaysia with the Kuala Lumpur academy and we would like you to do that in South Wales.

That’s a model South Wales people should be proud of. It is self-financing and in the future we could generate players and sell them on. We want to keep doing that rather than rely on investors having to keep plying money in.

There’s still a lot of goodwill and gratitude towards you and that will never change.

The stupid idiots who criticise you can stay out.

Yours sincerely, PAUL CORKREY (high-profile fan)

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:59 am

Regarding the last three posts those letters is what killed the club to many fans, and dogfound I found plenty even wanting the red many a fan :o Those that bought the red did they not want it ? OK I except your argument about those that still went paid the money etc, but I do see it slightly different.
1/ Because Tan was not going to drive me out of my club, it may of come a time I was going to walk and I very nearly did. 2nd I wanted to make myself heard in the ground as to my views, only little I know but at the time it was the only thing we could do. I made sure like yourself I wore Blue, I did the anti tan chants and to try and remind others around me that we should be in blue, luckily those I was with felt the same way.
Now there was a price to pay because of my stance I did get unwelcome attention off certain fans and it started to get out of control, it divided fans turned Friends against friends and you really did find out who your friends were and one certain fan I won't mention his name on here but he is a friend for life and I would trust him with my life helped me out when it seemed everything was going to get real nasty. Thing is I never asked for his help he just jumped in.
And it's why we still talk about it as it's a very dark time in our history and to say that I must of excepted it because I went to games is complete noncence. I did what I could maybe not what others said I should do.
And the main reason I didn't walk away was because the red lovers was telling me to. Now I wasn't going to give them that satisfaction and those that stayed and carried on fighting for our Club, these are the fans that forced the u turn not those that embraced the red for the cash.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:31 am

Nuclearblue wrote:Regarding the last three posts those letters is what killed the club to many fans, and dogfound I found plenty even wanting the red many a fan :o Those that bought the red did they not want it ? OK I except your argument about those that still went paid the money etc, but I do see it slightly different.
1/ Because Tan was not going to drive me out of my club, it may of come a time I was going to walk and I very nearly did. 2nd I wanted to make myself heard in the ground as to my views, only little I know but at the time it was the only thing we could do. I made sure like yourself I wore Blue, I did the anti tan chants and to try and remind others around me that we should be in blue, luckily those I was with felt the same way.
Now there was a price to pay because of my stance I did get unwelcome attention off certain fans and it started to get out of control, it divided fans turned Friends against friends and you really did find out who your friends were and one certain fan I won't mention his name on here but he is a friend for life and I would trust him with my life helped me out when it seemed everything was going to get real nasty. Thing is I never asked for his help he just jumped in.
And it's why we still talk about it as it's a very dark time in our history and to say that I must of excepted it because I went to games is complete noncence. I did what I could maybe not what others said I should do.
And the main reason I didn't walk away was because the red lovers was telling me to. Now I wasn't going to give them that satisfaction and those that stayed and carried on fighting for our Club, these are the fans that forced the u turn not those that embraced the red for the cash.

I was slightly different and stopped going when we played in red. Could say I cut my nose off to spite my face as I missed our one season at the top, after waiting for around 45 years. The thing that annoyed me about those letters was that they did not represent my views, or any of the lads I went to the games with. They gave the impression that they were speaking on behalf of the fans, and I think they should have made it clear that this was their personal view, and not representative of our entire fanbase.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:23 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:Regarding the last three posts those letters is what killed the club to many fans, and dogfound I found plenty even wanting the red many a fan :o Those that bought the red did they not want it ? OK I except your argument about those that still went paid the money etc, but I do see it slightly different.

I was slightly different and stopped going when we played in red. Could say I cut my nose off to spite my face as I missed our one season at the top, after waiting for around 45 years. The thing that annoyed me about those letters was that they did not represent my views, or any of the lads I went to the games with. They gave the impression that they were speaking on behalf of the fans, and I think they should have made it clear that this was their personal view, and not representative of our entire fanbase.

From what I remember there wasn't a great sway of fans who dreamed of seeing CCFC play in red. Just about everyone I talked to said they would prefer blue, but would accept the red in exchange for the £100m of investment.

Personally I always thought that the rebrand was doomed from the beginning and blue would be back within 5 years (got that wrong it was only 3 ;) )

But I like many others I took the pragmatic view and realised that the club was on it's knees and this was a golden opportunity to clear the Langston debt, invest in the team, expand the stadium, get to the PL and become debt free. It was short term pain for long term gain in my view. I never wore red but I never abused Vincent Tan because in my eyes his biggest mistake was listening to the wrong people rather than being malicious and eventually he would realise he had made a complete blooper and have to reverse his decision but by then we would have spent his cash. :occasion5:

We haven't got to the end of the VT story yet but most of the above has either happened or is in the process of happening. You could argue that the 'fans' have played a blinder because basically we have taken the owner to the cleaners which is the complete opposite to what happens at most other clubs. :lol: