Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NEIL WARNOCK: PLAY-OFFS WOULD BE "MASSIVE ACHIEVEMENT"

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:06 am

Neil Warnock: Qualifying for 2017-18 play-offs would be 'massive' for Cardiff City

Neil Warnock:"With the budget we will have that will be a massive achievement"

Monday 24th April 2017

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock says reaching next season's Championship play-offs would be a "massive achievement" with their budget.

The Bluebirds are 12th in the table but 17 points off a place in the top six after their goalless draw with Wigan.

After struggling early in the season, Cardiff have steadily moved up the table following Warnock's appointment.

"We need a few more goals, we need a few more options off the bench," Warnock told BBC Radio Wales.

"It's going to be a massive achievement for everybody at the club if we can get up there near the play-offs next season with the budget we've got and the amount we're going to spend."

Warnock's has previously said the Bluebirds would not need big money to launch a promotion bid next season.

After bringing several players on his arrival at the club in October, including Kieran Richardson and Marouane Chamakh, the Bluebirds only signed Greg Halford from Rotherham on a permanent deal in January, while goalkeeper Allan McGregor joined on loan from Hull City.

"I haven't spent any money yet because I didn't want to throw it away stupidly in January," he added.

"We've had to bit our tongues really and be a little bit frustrated, but if we get some quality in and get a bit more choice off the bench, that's what our objective is."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NEIL WARNOCK: PLAY-OFFS WOULD BE "MASSIVE ACHIEVEMENT"

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:04 am

Warnock is a realistic man. With our budget, it would be a huge achievement. Realistically, with the way we're doing business now Neil might need this summer, Jan and next summer to build a real strong promotion winning side. But we have to learn to be patient and enjoy the ride, this is what we asked for after all - a club playing in blue and doing business sustainably. The future is looking good!

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:17 am

Yes. People need to remember that Warnock has always said "challenging for promotion" next season, not guaranteed promotion! When I see what Huddersfield and Reading have achieved this season without throwing huge amounts of money at the teams, we have to be confident that Warnock can do the same for us next season. :bluescarf:

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:12 am

starting to play it down a little now to lower expectations, clever and realiatic.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:14 am

I'd say that Reading & Huddersfield are not much better than us. A bit more consistent but with Warnock in charge of a full pre season we will certainly match these 2 next season if neither go up

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:25 am

2blue2handle wrote:starting to play it down a little now to lower expectations, clever and realiatic.

I agree,though he may find if we don't hit the ground running then he will quickly find what its like with the fans on your back.Even Malky wasn't as bullish as him.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:starting to play it down a little now to lower expectations, clever and realiatic.

I agree,though he may find if we don't hit the ground running then he will quickly find what its like with the fans on your back.Even Malky wasn't as bullish as him.

Yeah it wouldn't take long for our fans to turn after a few bad results. Lets hope not though as if it did I think he would just leave.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:20 pm

nubbsy wrote:Warnock is a realistic man. With our budget, it would be a huge achievement. Realistically, with the way we're doing business now Neil might need this summer, Jan and next summer to build a real strong promotion winning side. But we have to learn to be patient and enjoy the ride, this is what we asked for after all - a club playing in blue and doing business sustainably. The future is looking good!

Spot on :thumbup:
Every City fan should be excited about next season and beyond. As you say, this is what we want, the club getting things right on and off the pitch. Roll on August :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:24 pm

I wondered whe he would start to play it down.

if he gets his targets this summer then don't be surprised if he ramps it up again. Even so I feel he needs two seasons to challenge. A better return next season will be a bonus as far as I am concerned.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:34 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:I wondered whe he would start to play it down.

if he gets his targets this summer then don't be surprised if he ramps it up again. Even so I feel he needs two seasons to challenge. A better return next season will be a bonus as far as I am concerned.

I agree. I like Warnock and don't think we will find ourselves down in the bottom three again next season. I still think many are getting carried away with themselves on this forum, and need to take a step back and realise he is no miracle worker. With so little money available, it will be a fantastic job if he can get a top ten finish for us next season, and will need this Summer and probably next Summer as well to build a team who can seriously threaten a top six finish. Will be interesting to see who he can bring in over the next couple of months, but I am not convinced he can strengthen us enough with the money he will have to push for promotion. No complaints from me though, I realise the club must be run within it's means.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:41 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:I wondered whe he would start to play it down.

I agree. I like Warnock and don't think we will find ourselves down in the bottom three again next season. I still think many are getting carried away with themselves on this forum, and need to take a step back and realise he is no miracle worker. With so little money available, it will be a fantastic job if he can get a top ten finish for us next season, and will need this Summer and probably next Summer as well to build a team who can seriously threaten a top six finish. Will be interesting to see who he can bring in over the next couple of months, but I am not convinced he can strengthen us enough with the money he will have to push for promotion. No complaints from me though, I realise the club must be run within it's means.

:lol:

You're so right about many get carried away on this forum and just remembering the Lambert thread is proof of that.
Like most, I'm looking forward to next season and am a big Warnock fan but I don't believe we'll get promotion next season.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:34 am

Penyfai Blue wrote:
nubbsy wrote:Warnock is a realistic man. With our budget, it would be a huge achievement. Realistically, with the way we're doing business now Neil might need this summer, Jan and next summer to build a real strong promotion winning side. But we have to learn to be patient and enjoy the ride, this is what we asked for after all - a club playing in blue and doing business sustainably. The future is looking good!

Every City fan should be excited about next season and beyond. As you say, this is what we want, the club getting things right on and off the pitch. Roll on August :ayatollah:

Exactly mate and hopefuly the fans will give Warnock the patience he deserves to build a strong squad.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:41 am

nubbsy wrote:
Penyfai Blue wrote:

Exactly mate and hopefuly the fans will give Warnock the patience he deserves to build a strong squad.

I'm looking forward to some good games next season, and I believe we will see players putting in a decent shift each week. It would be good if we are challenging the play off places, but I won't be gutted if we miss out as long as I can watch entertaining and exciting football. If we are lucky enough to get promoted, I will have to accept that like most PL teams, we will be bringing in players who will be more interested in what they can get out of us, rather than what they can give us.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
Penyfai Blue wrote:

I'm looking forward to some good games next season, and I believe we will see players putting in a decent shift each week. It would be good if we are challenging the play off places, but I won't be gutted if we miss out as long as I can watch entertaining and exciting football. If we are lucky enough to get promoted, I will have to accept that like most PL teams, we will be bringing in players who will be more interested in what they can get out of us, rather than what they can give us.

I'm a fully paid up member of the delusion club because it is my release and why I'm a football fan. I will go into next season believing fully we will get that magic promotion in blue.

However, I get your point in that since October it has been pleasure rather than a chore to watch City even though we were nowhere near a promotion challenge and quickly threw off thoughts of relegation. Also my Plan B would be the same for next year just in case I'm wrong about the promotion ;)

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:18 pm

:thumbup: