Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Great news for Cardiff airport '

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:54 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-39693531?SThisFB

Cardiff Airport unveils Qatar Airways flights

From the section Wales

BBC

Long-haul flights from Cardiff Airport to the Middle East have been announced by Qatar Airways.

Attracting long-haul destinations has been one of the aims of the airport as part of its growth strategy.

It already has flights to Orlando in Florida and now Qatar Airlines will fly to Doha, Qatar's capital, from 2018.
More than 1.3 million people used the airport in the Vale of Glamorgan in 2016 - a 16% growth in passenger numbers.
Deb Barber, chief executive of Cardiff Airport, said: "It is fantastic that we will now be able to offer our customers more choice of travel with a world-class airline providing easy connections to destinations across the world."
Via its hub at Hamad International Airport, Qatar Airways connects to destinations including Australia, Thailand and China.
Ms Barber added: "It has been a long journey to get to this stage, with discussions spanning a number of years.
"Over the coming months we will work with the team at Qatar Airways to confirm the details of the service and look forward to the flights being on sale in the near future."
Cardiff Airport already operates flights to 50 destinations, adding Rome last month, with plans to add Madrid and a new service to Guernsey.

Re: Great news for cardiff airport

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:16 pm

You want to see people from the Middle East banned from the UK, but see it as great news that we can travel to the Middle East. LOL

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:19 pm

That article is very economical with the truth. it states that you can already fly long haul Cardiff-Orlando. True, one flight per year around May. The rest of the time you have to fly to Amsterdam to get a connecting flight, something that has been available for years and years.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:19 pm

JimCP91 wrote:You want to see people from the Middle East banned from the UK, but see it as great news that we can travel to the Middle East. LOL

Doha is a hub airport for far east and Australia be great for british people holidaying abroad :lol:

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:55 pm

I've had pleasure of using both Bristol and Cardiff Airport in last month, my 2 pence worth ;

Bristol - Very busy, loads of holidaymakers, bars, café and shops rammed

Cardiff - a bit of a ghost town, saw about 14 holidaymakers, airport workers walking around talking amongst themselves and shops were closed - such a shame as I prefer Cardiff AP, it's on my doorstep and I have fond memories of travelling as a kid with my folks and Sister, and my fondest memory, my 6 yr old Daughters first holiday was travelling from their and we had a great laugh running about the airport and in the shops.

Both have their merits but Bristol for its price and destination list is better but I prefer Cardiff.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Won't please some no matter what airport does? Personally always use rhoose for European hols! Never considered Bristol a pain in arse to get to, but it's a personal choice like Manchester is for far away hols! Rhoose Maybe owned by wag but run by commercial company so hopefully given time will improve all things to do with airport.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:41 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Won't please some no matter what airport does? Personally always use rhoose for European hols! Never considered Bristol a pain in arse to get to, but it's a personal choice like Manchester is for far away hols! Rhoose Maybe owned by wag but run by commercial company so hopefully given time will improve all things to do with airport.

They are improving already

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:59 pm

wez1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Won't please some no matter what airport does? Personally always use rhoose for European hols! Never considered Bristol a pain in arse to get to, but it's a personal choice like Manchester is for far away hols! Rhoose Maybe owned by wag but run by commercial company so hopefully given time will improve all things to do with airport.

They are improving already

Didn't BA anounce partnership recently with airport? And planning for new terminal as well? :occasion5:

Re: ' Great news for Cardiff airport '

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:47 pm

I use both Bristol and Cardiff, Bristol obviously has more flights and destinations. As for which airport I prefer?!?! As long as I can get a pint and a bit of grub then couldn't care less what else it has. It's twenty minutes from my house, love Cardiff airport for logistical reasons but I also like its small.

I know when your coming home from an exhausting stag nothing better. :thumbup:

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:30 pm

This is massive news, a game changer!!! :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:42 am

Always good to see positive news for Cardiff Wales Airport and I look forward to the day I don't have to travel to London for my long haul flights! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:18 pm

I use Cardiff airport regular, it's just a 25 minute drive from my house, great to see more routes opening up there.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:27 pm

Perhaps they will buy the stadium naming rights as well The Qatar Stadium.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:38 pm

theclaw wrote:Perhaps they will buy the stadium naming rights as well The Qatar Stadium.

Well do sponsor Barcelona! Maybe look to do same here? :occasion5:

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Sven wrote:Always good to see positive news for Cardiff Wales Airport and I look forward to the day I don't have to travel to London for my long haul flights! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Yeah me too Chris but I'm not holding my breath.
Just tried to book Malta from Cardiff. Around £300 and it'll take 14 hours! Lol
Off I go to good old Bristol and travel for £128 including bags and a 3 hour flight!

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:11 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Sven wrote:Always good to see positive news for Cardiff Wales Airport and I look forward to the day I don't have to travel to London for my long haul flights! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Off I go to good old Bristol and travel for £128 including bags and a 3 hour flight!

Paul, sadly that's been my experience! :(

I truly want Cardiff Wales Airport to do well and service the South Wales area (and beyond) but the simple economics don't add up and it's often a case of 'cost versus inconvenience'

Do I pay (using your example above) an extra £172 (plus possible baggage costs) for an additional 11 hours of travelling or do I save that time and money by travelling 90 minutes up the road at the cost of £20 of fuel plus the Severn Bridge Toll?

A no brainer really and that's sort of sad :cry:

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:52 am

Sven wrote:

I truly want Cardiff Wales Airport to do well and service the South Wales area (and beyond) but the simple economics don't add up and it's often a case of 'cost versus inconvenience'

Do I pay (using your example above) an extra £172 (plus possible baggage costs) for an additional 11 hours of travelling or do I save that time and money by travelling 90 minutes up the road at the cost of £20 of fuel plus the Severn Bridge Toll?

Same for me. I would prefer to use the airport on my doorstep. Unfortunately, if I do I have to fly to Amsterdam, then on to Minneapolis or Detroit or some other airport, and then get another connecting flight to my destination. Years ago I could fly direct from Cardiff, but no more. Easier and more convenient for me to go from Gatwick which is a right pain, but at least I am not spending hours hanging around in Schiphol and then more hours hanging around in some airport on the other side of the Atlantic before the last leg. My last few European flights have been from Bristol because of the difference in prices. What makes it worse is I think Cardiff was a better airport than Bristol, but sadly they appear to have gone in opposite directions.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:02 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Sven wrote:

Same for me. I would prefer to use the airport on my doorstep. Unfortunately, if I do I have to fly to Amsterdam, then on to Minneapolis or Detroit or some other airport, and then get another connecting flight to my destination. Years ago I could fly direct from Cardiff, but no more. Easier and more convenient for me to go from Gatwick which is a right pain, but at least I am not spending hours hanging around in Schiphol and then more hours hanging around in some airport on the other side of the Atlantic before the last leg. My last few European flights have been from Bristol because of the difference in prices. What makes it worse is I think Cardiff was a better airport than Bristol, but sadly they appear to have gone in opposite directions.

Have you looked at Ryanair to Dublin with connections to USA? Apparently you can do customs checks before leave rhoose so simple transfer to connecting flight Presume it's a regular service

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:57 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Sven wrote:

Have you looked at Ryanair to Dublin with connections to USA? Apparently you can do customs checks before leave rhoose so simple transfer to connecting flight Presume it's a regular service

Have looked in the past Alan, but either the cost has been way over the odds, or travel time double the usual. I keep looking to see if I can avoid Gatwick, but I like the convenience of knowing that my flight will be 9 hours or so and then done and dusted. If I could fly direct from Cardiff, I would be prepared to pay £150 or so more than Gatwick just for the convenience. Give me Cardiff any day of the week, it's just that the flights I want are either too expensive, or too many changes to get to my destination. Thanks for the suggestion though, I will keep trying but no luck for many years now.

Re: 'Great news for Cardiff airport '

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:57 pm

I worked for Cardiff Airport for about 4 years sadly the management leave a lot to be desired, most the staff are miserable because of that.

I've booked 2 holidays Holidays from Cardiff in the last 3 years and both times its been cheaper than Bristol. Although another two holidays our only options were to fly from Bristol.

If you compare the package holidays with Thompson/Thomas cook there is little difference, sometimes cheaper sometimes more expensive. However Cardiff cannot compete is with the budget airlines like Easyjet and Ryanair which have a lot more flight options (I think Ryanair do 3 flights from Cardiff?).

In saying that I am flying to Rome soon which turned out around the same price as Bristol so again will be flying from Cardiff.

The other flights like Amsterdam, Scotland, Ireland etc are way cheaper from Bristol and Cardiff do not fly to as many places direct as Bristol

Annoyingly I had to go to Heathrow to fly to Vienna and also used Heathrow to fly to Vegas and back from San Fran.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:02 pm

The klm flights and the tenerife flights are great it might be a little more expensive but when ypu take into account the fuel bridge and oarking at bristol it works out cheaper

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Sven wrote:

Have looked in the past Alan, but either the cost has been way over the odds, or travel time double the usual. I keep looking to see if I can avoid Gatwick, but I like the convenience of knowing that my flight will be 9 hours or so and then done and dusted. If I could fly direct from Cardiff, I would be prepared to pay £150 or so more than Gatwick just for the convenience. Give me Cardiff any day of the week, it's just that the flights I want are either too expensive, or too many changes to get to my destination. Thanks for the suggestion though, I will keep trying but no luck for many years now.

Thought Ryanair was a recent addition to airport regarding USA flights? But guess it's not that straight forward? I always use rhoose for package hols ! At end of day budget airlines chose Bristol as their airport of choice because geographically it's far better placed than rhoose, so rhoose will always suffer destination wise but things seem to be looking up slowly for us at last after years of bad management by foreign owners.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:53 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Sven wrote:

Thought Ryanair was a recent addition to airport regarding USA flights? But guess it's not that straight forward? I always use rhoose for package hols ! At end of day budget airlines chose Bristol as their airport of choice because geographically it's far better placed than rhoose, so rhoose will always suffer destination wise but things seem to be looking up slowly for us at last after years of bad management by foreign owners.

Don't think Ryanair have been there long, but I tend to travel several times a year over the other side. Spend hours every time seeing if there is any way I can avoid Gatwick, but however hard I try, unless I want an 18 or 19 hour journey (and that excules the couple of hours you have to be at the airport first, immigration control and baggage collection) I usually end up at Gatwick. What surprises me is that years ago there used to be two direct flights a week from Cardiff, and they were always full, so the demand was there. I don't know how airports are run and I am obviously missing something, but as I said, I would be prepared to pay more than I currently do just for the convenience of travelling from Rhoose, providing it was a direct flight.

Re: 'Great news for Cardiff airport '

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:10 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I worked for Cardiff Airport for about 4 years sadly the management leave a lot to be desired, most the staff are miserable because of that.

Annoyingly I had to go to Heathrow to fly to Vienna and also used Heathrow to fly to Vegas and back from San Fran.

If anyone is thinking of flying in/out of San Francisco try taking a look at San Jose airport, it's just down the road from SF and can very often be a lot cheaper. Not always but worth a look if you're looking at flights anyway.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:51 pm

JimCP91 wrote:You want to see people from the Middle East banned from the UK, but see it as great news that we can travel to the Middle East. LOL

Doha is a hub for not just the middle east but also Africa and Asia so this, for me and my family, is great news. I can fly Qatar from Entebbe to Doha and connect from Doha to Cardiff.

Currently it's KLM... Entebbe, Rwanda, Amsterdam then Cardiff or flying on other airlines landing in Heathrow.

So great news

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:55 pm

wez1927 wrote:The klm flights and the tenerife flights are great it might be a little more expensive but when ypu take into account the fuel bridge and oarking at bristol it works out cheaper

The KLM Amsterdam flights are a lot more expensive than easy jet from Bristol even with all the extra hassle. it's sad that when a big group of us from the airport wanted to go we had to go from bristol.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Sven wrote:

Don't think Ryanair have been there long, but I tend to travel several times a year over the other side. Spend hours every time seeing if there is any way I can avoid Gatwick, but however hard I try, unless I want an 18 or 19 hour journey (and that excules the couple of hours you have to be at the airport first, immigration control and baggage collection) I usually end up at Gatwick. What surprises me is that years ago there used to be two direct flights a week from Cardiff, and they were always full, so the demand was there. I don't know how airports are run and I am obviously missing something, but as I said, I would be prepared to pay more than I currently do just for the convenience of travelling from Rhoose, providing it was a direct flight.

United airlines wanted to fly out of rhoose but WAG (before took over airport) refused to subsidise route by 1m over several years.! Yet they were happily subsidising Anglesey route to tune of 1.5m annually! Hopefully this Qatar route is start of other long haul routes in future.? But it appears to be a long winded process.
I use train to go to Gatwick and Manchester for my hols in Caribbean so easier than car for US .

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:02 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Sven wrote:

I'm in the same boat, Steve and did six trips over the pond in the last year or so and several more planned this year. Like you, I always 'ry' to get flights nearer to him and find Manchester a pain to get to as an alternative, so I mostly use Gatwick, which means an overnight stay at the airport, although sometimes (thankfully on my next trip in May) I can use Heathrow

I've given up on non-essential multi-stops and often use airports slightly away from my destination (for example Baltimore for Washington or Miami for Fort Lauderdale) rather than having the hassle of stop start flights with potential delays in the middle

I also accept there is a 'premium' to pay for using a regional airport such as Cardiff Wales Airport but the difference must be reasonable and not (as often is) extortionate :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:38 am

2blue2handle wrote:
wez1927 wrote:The klm flights and the tenerife flights are great it might be a little more expensive but when ypu take into account the fuel bridge and oarking at bristol it works out cheaper

The KLM Amsterdam flights are a lot more expensive than easy jet from Bristol even with all the extra hassle. it's sad that when a big group of us from the airport wanted to go we had to go from bristol.

Klm flights are better times daytime flights i think than easjet ,whenever ive flown amsterdam from bristol the fligg2t is always delayed

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:21 am

At end of day rhoose cannot compete with Bristol on domestic EU destinations as cannot see budget airline like easyjet moving here as demographically we are to far away from bigger market that Bristol has! And we had crap owners for years who failed to invest so losing out on possible budget airlines coming here? Maybe long haul is way forward as in better position than Bristol to accommodate the bigger planes.