Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Poll shock

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:55 pm

The Conservatives are currently holding a 10pt lead over Labour in Wales......unbelievable

Re: Poll shock

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:56 pm

toryboy49 wrote:The Conservatives are currently holding a 10pt lead over Labour in Wales......unbelievable

I know a few people who were labour but are going to vote torry because of brexit

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:10 pm

I don't see why it is incredible. Why would anyone want to vote for comrade Corbyn ? Glad to see some of the lifetime labour voters are coming to their senses at last. Too many labour voters have voted labour because of the miners strike/thatcher etc. Move on. You don't win elections by being too right wing or too left wing. You need to attract the middle ground wavering voter to win. Corbyn is far too left wing to win, just like Michael foot and Neil kinnock who both got battered at general elections.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:27 pm

charlieduke wrote:I don't see why it is incredible. Why would anyone want to vote for comrade Corbyn ? Glad to see some of the lifetime labour voters are coming to their senses at last. Too many labour voters have voted labour because of the miners strike/thatcher etc. Move on. You don't win elections by being too right wing or too left wing. You need to attract the middle ground wavering voter to win. Corbyn is far too left wing to win, just like Michael foot and Neil kinnock who both got battered at general elections.

you dont get much attention off a tory government when seats here are not worth fighting for because of this my dad voted labour mentality either. ive always voted against labour for this reason. an area thats in danger of swinging keeps both big parties on their toes.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:39 pm

Not sure how much importance should be placed on the opinions of one thousand people. A lot can change, and polls have been known to be way wide of the mark. A lot will vote labour and then complain about everything that has been devolved to the Welsh Government, like the NHS, ambulances, education etc.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:40 pm

A lot of Welsh people will be voting Conservative for the first time.

I will be one of them.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:36 am

So far, I'm voting for every 'infrequent' who knocks my door...

You never know, one of the blighters will be elected and they might just remember my positivity towards them...

NOT! LOL :laughing6:

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:35 am

Magners wrote:A lot of Welsh people will be voting Conservative for the first time.

I will be one of them.

Can I ask why? With record number of people using food banks, human rights coming under severe scrutiny and the NHS in crisis, why do you think the Tories care? They've been in power for 7 years and it's been a horror show, the deficit has gone up and up and up, and they've given their mates tax breaks. People are dying under this government.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:05 am

petesmeat wrote:
Magners wrote:A lot of Welsh people will be voting Conservative for the first time.

I will be one of them.

Can I ask why? With record number of people using food banks, human rights coming under severe scrutiny and the NHS in crisis, why do you think the Tories care? They've been in power for 7 years and it's been a horror show, the deficit has gone up and up and up, and they've given their mates tax breaks. People are dying under this government.

People mention the NHS on a regular basis, and rightly so. There have been problems as far back as I can remember. Yet, Blair was in power in 1997, it was devolved to the Welsh government in 1999, and therefore has been under the control of labour in Wales for twenty years. Nearly all the things we constantly complain about here in Wales are services which come under the control of those at Cardiff Bay. For those who live in RCT and have just received their council tax bills, they will be disappointed to see that they are one of the highest taxed authorities in the UK. Their money certainly is not being spent on the towns in RCT, where the only thing missing from most of these towns is tumbleweed blowing across deserted streets.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:12 am

People in Wales have very very short memories.

The Tory's decimated Wales in the 80's. And no, that does not mean I will vote for Corbin either

The symbol of the sheep has never been more apt for Wales

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:15 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:

I will be one of them.

People mention the NHS on a regular basis, and rightly so. There have been problems as far back as I can remember. Yet, Blair was in power in 1997, it was devolved to the Welsh government in 1999, and therefore has been under the control of labour in Wales for twenty years. Nearly all the things we constantly complain about here in Wales are services which come under the control of those at Cardiff Bay. For those who live in RCT and have just received their council tax bills, they will be disappointed to see that they are one of the highest taxed authorities in the UK. Their money certainly is not being spent on the towns in RCT, where the only thing missing from most of these towns is tumbleweed blowing across deserted streets.

What makes you think anything will change under the Tories? Have you seen what Jeremy Hunt is doing to the NHS in England? Just because things haven't changed under Labour that much it doesn't mean you should vote Tory? If you want a protest vote, make it worthwhile and vote Plaid. They actually care about Wales and it'll wake Labour up without Wales being absolutely shafted for 5 years. Over two thirds of Wales' exports went to Europe. We need all the help we can get after Brexit.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:18 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:

I will be one of them.

As for council tax, it is £171 less in Wales than England:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-39366769

NHS is pretty fucked in all four nations, but don't fall into the trap of listening to the Tory nonsense that it is worse in Wales. Rather, look at these two independent reports (I.e. Written by people without bias)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35549761
http://www.health.org.uk/publication/fo ... ey-compare

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:27 am

tcblue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:

I will be one of them.

NHS is pretty fucked in all four nations, but don't fall into the trap of listening to the Tory nonsense that it is worse in Wales. Rather, look at these two independent reports (I.e. Written by people without bias)

AVERAGE council tax bills in England will reach almost £1600 as authorities impose the highest increases in a decade, according to public ...
As you can tell the above is copied and pasted. I would be happy if my bill was almost £1600. That is an average, there are people in London paying £700 and £800 pounds. My bill in my labour controlled part of S Wales is just a few bucks short of £2000. I should be living in a castle for that sort of money.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:27 am

tcblue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:

I will be one of them.

Also 40k people used emergency food banks in the UK in 2009-10, the last Labour government. This has risen to 1.182million, and that's after the Tories reclassified what being in poverty was, so it should be even higher.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:31 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
tcblue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:

I will be one of them.

AVERAGE council tax bills in England will reach almost £1600 as authorities impose the highest increases in a decade, according to public ...
As you can tell the above is copied and pasted. I would be happy if my bill was almost £1600. That is an average, there are people in London paying £700 and £800 pounds. My bill in my labour controlled part of S Wales is just a few bucks short of £2000. I should be living in a castle for that sort of money.

In fact, gone out of my bank account today £194.85 payable monthly for 10 months of the year.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:32 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
tcblue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:

I will be one of them.

Please do not base your vote on council tax. Also, that money is going to be used for something, and they'll have to find it somewhere else. Wales, and the rest of the UK, has a massive deficit and the current government and bringing us to our knees with their austerity.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:40 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:

I will be one of them.

People that make this argument about the welsh NHS fail to consider that the WAG get finite finances in which to work and for many years the money received has not been enough to cover costs so they rob peter to pay paul.The hardest hit is the socail care fund and the Tories have been doing this for years and slyly argue that they put more into the NHS in real terms knowing that the social care cost which they've decimated is picked up by the NHS.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:42 am

petesmeat wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
tcblue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:

I will be one of them.

Please do not base your vote on council tax. Also, that money is going to be used for something, and they'll have to find it somewhere else. Wales, and the rest of the UK, has a massive deficit and the current government and bringing us to our knees with their austerity.

I am not naive enough to vote based on council tax. I take everything into account, and there is no way on earth labour will get my vote. I am also not naive enough to think that my vote will change anything. Labour will be elected in RCT as usual, and even if they are not, my standard of living will not change to any great extent, just as it has'nt over the last 40 odd years since I first voted. Whether we have a Tory party in power, Labour, Lib Dems or Monster Raving Loonies, we will continue to complain about unemployment, NHS, police, ambulances, council tax...... the average person will not notice any great changes.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:55 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
tcblue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:

I will be one of them.

I am not naive enough to vote based on council tax. I take everything into account, and there is no way on earth labour will get my vote. I am also not naive enough to think that my vote will change anything. Labour will be elected in RCT as usual, and even if they are not, my standard of living will not change to any great extent, just as it has'nt over the last 40 odd years since I first voted. Whether we have a Tory party in power, Labour, Lib Dems or Monster Raving Loonies, we will continue to complain about unemployment, NHS, police, ambulances, council tax...... the average person will not notice any great changes.

2% of the population now rely on food banks to survive. This is up from 0.06%. The average person will notice shortly as people are dying under this government. I'm not advocating a Labour vote but I am saying don't vote Tory. They don't give a shite about Wales or working people. They've proved this time, and time again.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:18 am

I have never known such a bad bunch to choose from it's staggering.
LABOUR Under Corbyn and his like they can and will destroy the country. They claim to represent the working man but want complete open borders that would flood the country with un skilled workers which would see wages drop to poverty levels we have not seen before.
Trident would be scrapped leaving the UK defenceless, Terrorism isn't just the problem more and more rouge Countries are going Nuclear and to get rid of our is madness. Yes morally we shouldn't need them but it's the real world we live in.
Diane Abbot ...Nuff said
Won't deliver Brexit
Corbyn has stated we should stop bombing ISIS and on this one I agree 100% the West has caused to much damage in the Middle East all in the name of globalisation.

Lib Dems un democratic un electable

Plaid un democratic full of loons un electable

UKIP They have lost the chance to grow after the last election and have imploded the best thing about them was Farage, but these are the people that will make sure what party is in Brexit will be delivered.

Concervatives. Don't like them don't trust them, there drive for globalisation is frightening. But will they deliver Brexit ? but they are the only party that can and I do think they will.
As I said I don't like them but they are the lesser evil and really the only choice. So with a heavy heart it's the Tories for me but I won't be celebrating them getting in power again.

For democracy to work the country needs two strong parties and we just don't have that. We have one bad party and an unelectable one and that is bad news.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:18 am

petesmeat wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
tcblue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:

I will be one of them.

2% of the population now rely on food banks to survive. This is up from 0.06%. The average person will notice shortly as people are dying under this government. I'm not advocating a Labour vote but I am saying don't vote Tory. They don't give a shite about Wales or working people. They've proved this time, and time again.

You must vote whichever way you see fit Pete, and we all see things slightly differently. I have no idea who our next Prime Minister will be, and I take the polls with a pinch of salt. If Labour win, I won't lose any sleep over it. As I said previously, I am sure it won't make much difference to the way I live my life. They all have the same pot of money available to them. They may spend it differently, so I may see a slight advantage somewhere, but more cash spent on one particular service means less spent on something else. All swings and roundabouts, but I will survive whoever wins.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:22 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
tcblue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
petesmeat wrote:

I will be one of them.

You must vote whichever way you see fit Pete, and we all see things slightly differently. I have no idea who our next Prime Minister will be, and I take the polls with a pinch of salt. If Labour win, I won't lose any sleep over it. As I said previously, I am sure it won't make much difference to the way I live my life. They all have the same pot of money available to them. They may spend it differently, so I may see a slight advantage somewhere, but more cash spent on one particular service means less spent on something else. All swings and roundabouts, but I will survive whoever wins.

I completely agree with you voting for whoever you see fit but at the moment the most vulnerable in this country are being neglected and I can't agree with this. I'd happily pay more in taxes to help them but I don't think that's a real vote winner or true for everyone! Anyway, good debate!

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:23 am

petesmeat wrote:

I will be one of them.

I think you'll find the deficit has actually been going down under the Tory government : http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk_na ... t_analysis

UK deficit is now at a lower level than before the 2008 financial crisis. Credits due where credits due.

At the current moment with all this Brexit mess.. Doesn't it seem logical and not surprising that the Torys are having more of a backing (in Wales) than ever before?

Anyway not like you can win an argument about politics or religion :bluebird: :happy1:

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:44 pm

The first minister of Wales has recently said,that Labour will hope that because people have always voted Labour in the past they will continue to do so,completely taking the Welsh people for granted,so I say to those people,take this opportunity to vote out the smug and complacent old guard that has done nothing but take the Welsh people for granted......get rid of the tired left wing politicians that has governed our Country for far too long

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:37 pm

I agree with nukes.

No tw*t to vote for.

I would never vote Tory and am appalled by them, nearly as disgusting as labour, ukip, liberals and plaid.....

:laughing6:

Seriously, how a Welsh working class person can vote Tory makes me vomit.

The tories don't tax less and opened immigration doors wider.
(They don't give a toss where you are from, just as long as your cheap)

We need a centre party who listens to the people and supports the people - all the above have flawed policies

I will vote, but have no desire to
:banghead:

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:13 pm

All these issues regarding the nhs why do we have to have free prescriptions for all. Yes for pensioners and those people who genuinely can't afford them but the working man or woman surely wouldn't object to £3 a prescription and all that extra money would make a huge change to the funding going forward.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:17 pm

steve davies wrote:All these issues regarding the nhs why do we have to have free prescriptions for all. Yes for pensioners and those people who genuinely can't afford them but the working man or woman surely wouldn't object to £3 a prescription and all that extra money would make a huge change to the funding going forward.

Agree steve ,people are forgetting that labour gave been in charge of it in wales for nearly 20 years

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:38 pm

steve davies wrote:All these issues regarding the nhs why do we have to have free prescriptions for all. Yes for pensioners and those people who genuinely can't afford them but the working man or woman surely wouldn't object to £3 a prescription and all that extra money would make a huge change to the funding going forward.

In England they pay £8.60 for prescriptions.

We are wasting millions giving free prescriptions.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:59 pm

I will be one of them.

Bye NHS then .... great move

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:11 pm

AHERNE wrote:

I will be one of them.

Bye NHS then .... great move

Why is it bye nhs ? In wales the assembly are responsible for the nhs ? Labour already privitised it through the back door with their terrible pfi s contracts