A forum for all things Cardiff City

Breaking News Huge Tax raids - Newcastle/West Ham

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:18 am

Breaking News Huge Tax raids - Newcastle/West Ham

Newcastle and West Ham raided in HMRC probe

BBC

Wednesday 26th April 2017

Newcastle United was one of the clubs raided

Newcastle United and West Ham United's grounds have been raided in a fraud investigation.

HMRC said it deployed 180 officers across the UK and France, resulting in the arrests of several men working within professional football.

It said investigators had searched a number of premises in the north east and south east of England.

A spokesman added it had also seized business records, financial records, computers and mobile phones.

The arrests were connected to a suspected income tax and National Insurance fraud, he added.

West HamGetty Images
West Ham played their first game at the London Stadium in August
BBC Sports editor Dan Roan has tweeted that West Ham United was one of the clubs involved.

Newcastle United's St. James' Park ground has also been searched.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Breaking News Huge Tax raids - Newcastle/West Ham

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:30 am

Let's hope gravy veined Scum bucket Mike Ashley goes to jail ;)

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:53 am

Newcastle may well want to delay their promotion party on the back of this. Judging by the amount of HMRC officers involved I just wonder if certain parties are going after Ashley. it wouldn't surprise me if a points deduction is mooted although its late in the season and would screw up the playoffs. Any case would take a while to settle anyway so I guess they'll be OK but you never know.

With West Ham, it really doesn't look good for them either, what with them being run by a government 'peer' and also getting the Olympic Stadium for next to nothing. I hope they don't get a points deduction as it could keep the White Sox up (no pun intended).

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:11 pm

[quote="GrangeEndStar"]Newcastle may well want to delay their promotion party on the back of this. Judging by the amount of HMRC officers involved I just wonder if certain parties are going after Ashley. it wouldn't surprise me if a points deduction is mooted although its late in the season and would screw up the playoffs. Any case would take a while to settle anyway so I guess they'll be OK but you never know.

With West Ham, it really doesn't look good for them either, what with them being run by a government 'peer' and also getting the Olympic Stadium for next to nothing. I hope they don't get a points deduction as it could keep the White Sox up (no pun intended).[/Nothing short of a witch hunt involving Baroness Brady,and as for Mr Ashley it wasn't so long ago he was being investigated for paying staff below minimum wage and know this he must feel the whole world is against him poor man,anyway chins up Mike.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:14 pm

since64 wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:Newcastle may well want to delay their promotion party on the back of this. Judging by the amount of HMRC officers involved I just wonder if certain parties are going after Ashley. it wouldn't surprise me if a points deduction is mooted although its late in the season and would screw up the playoffs. Any case would take a while to settle anyway so I guess they'll be OK but you never know.

With West Ham, it really doesn't look good for them either, what with them being run by a government 'peer' and also getting the Olympic Stadium for next to nothing. I hope they don't get a points deduction as it could keep the White Sox up (no pun intended).[/Nothing short of a witch hunt involving Baroness Brady,and as for Mr Ashley it wasn't so long ago he was being investigated for paying staff below minimum wage and know this he must feel the whole world is against him poor man,anyway chins up Mike.

The timing and apparent scale of all this is all very interesting.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:27 pm

I believe Ashley is part of a criminal conspiracy to rip off Rangers, he bought the stadium naming rights for a pound and the sponsors space on the jerseys for the same.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:37 pm

Its criminal so I expect the footballing authorities will step aside until that element is completed - could be years.
If its an absolute case of tax evasion then it could a straight forward " Swindon style relegation " when the time comes. What happens with the income earned in the meantime would be interesting with these very large sums at stake.

Its more likely to be one of these discredited tax reduction investment schemes that have been floating around and I'd expect some large fines and a big slap on the wrist if indeed the clubs are found guilty.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:59 pm

Maybe Rafa hasn't been declaring the tips from his second job as a waiter to the Revenue.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:08 pm

There has to be a song here for Friday!!@

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:57 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:There has to be a song here for Friday!!@

whose that coming over the hill ,its the taxman..its the taxman.
not original but eh oh.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:02 pm

Perhaps Lord Sugars adviser Karen Brady can help HMRC ????? Surely as an entrepreneur and general genius she can grease her way out of this eh ?

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:36 pm

epping blue wrote:Its criminal so I expect the footballing authorities will step aside until that element is completed - could be years.
If its an absolute case of tax evasion then it could a straight forward " Swindon style relegation " when the time comes. What happens with the income earned in the meantime would be interesting with these very large sums at stake.

Its more likely to be one of these discredited tax reduction investment schemes that have been floating around and I'd expect some large fines and a big slap on the wrist if indeed the clubs are found guilty.

Under the HMRC's COP9 an organisation has 60 days to agree to a "Contractual Disclosure Facility".

Simply put, 60 days to avoid prosecution in exchange for full and frank disclosure of all facts relating to the case which could help HMRC in the course of their investigation. 60 days is after the season has finished. Chelsea are also involved.

In my opinion a fine will be the punishment

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:45 pm

Jock wrote:I believe Ashley is part of a criminal conspiracy to rip off Rangers, he bought the stadium naming rights for a pound and the sponsors space on the jerseys for the same.

Also gave them players on loan that season ;)