Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' This is it for Newport County '

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Newport County Head North To Fight For Their League Two Lives

By: Terry Phillips

Wednesday April 26, 2017
Dai Foot

Newport County are in charge of their own League Two destiny, but they face a major test of character at Carlisle United on Saturday (3pm).

They are second from bottom after winning six of their last 10 matches – and are now in a mini-League of three fighting against relegation.

One of Hartlepool United, Newport or Cheltenham Town will be joining already relegated Leyton Orient in crashing out of the Football League.

Captain Joss Labadie understands his team are in a desperate fight for survival.

“We’re under no illusions, our feet are firmly on the ground,” says Labadie.

“We know there’s a lot of work left to do. We’ve got to go into the next two games as we have the last six or seven.

“We’re really confident and enjoying our football at the moment. It’s a happy environment.”

Hosts Carlisle are still chasing a play-off spot and manager Keith Curle’s team must win their remaining two fixtures to have a chance of achieving that aim.

The Blues dropped to 10th after their 3-3 draw against Crawley and Curle says: “Make no mistake about it, the players are fighting for their careers. It is very, very simple.

“Even if you are sat there with a year’s contract, you are playing for your career. For the football club to move forward, we need people who make less mistakes.

“We have two games left. There is no point me falling out with people. I will fall out with people at the end of the season when they are coming in and I tell them they no longer have a future with me.

“That is when you are going to see sad faces. But there is still time to keep going in what we are trying to do.”

While Newport head north to Carlisle, Hartlepool are away against Cheltenham.

Defender Matthew Bates has taken charge of the Hartlepool team following the departure of Dave Jones, who left after their 2-0 home defeat against Barnet last weekend.

“Am I confident?” says Bates. “100 per cent.”

Hartlepool need back-to-back wins against Cheltenham away and Doncaster at home and he said: “It’s a task that’s achievable.

“We need to win and there is no reason why we can’t do that. The shackles are off.

“We are the ones doing the chasing now.

“It’s a mini-league for us, three teams, we need to finish top of that. “If we do, we could be safe. If we don’t we probably won’t be.”

“Ultimately, it’s now down to the players. There is no time for motivational talks, crisis meetings – we’ve had all that and it hasn’t worked.

“It’s up to us to set them up as best we can and then they go out and do it. The lads know how much it means to everyone, fans, staff and owners.”

Newport manager Mike Flynn and his team won’t worry about the plight of Hartlepool or Cheltenham. Their focus is on gaining three points at Carlisle – and that all that counts in their quest for survival.

League Two table – bottom four only, two will be relegated

All teams play 46 matches

Pl GD Pts

22 Cheltenham Town 44 -16 47

23 Newport County 44 -22 45

22 Hartlepool United 44 -21 43

24 Leyton Orient 44 -36 36

Remaining fixtures:

Cheltenham: Hartlepool (home), Portsmouth (away).

Hartlepool: Cheltenham (away), Doncaster (home).

Newport: Carlisle (away), Notts County (home).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' This is it for Newport County '

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Good Luck to them - As i have said for a while - Hope they stay up .

Re: ' This is it for Newport County '

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:23 pm

Do not fancy Hartlepools chances of staying up.

A 6 pointer against Cheltenham away. Cheltenham will be eager to win that one to secure their survival.

Then home against top of the league Doncaster.

One point best there.