Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE PLAYER THAT WAS THE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT FOR CARDIFF

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:20 am

' THE PLAYER THAT WAS THE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT FOR CARDIFF CITY THIS SEASON '

2016-17 SEASON

Rickie Lambert Signed unfit and not over his injuries, played only 8 games in his last three years before joining Cardiff City.

Massive signing on fee and a two year contract on approx £25,000 a week.

Who sanctioned this signing?

BY CHIEF SPORTS WRITER PAUL ABBADONATO

Thursday 27th April 2017

I go for Lambert as the number one disappointment. We have to rewind and remember that at the end of the August transfer window, he was seen as the big blue riband capture.

The name to excite the fans, to come down, score goals and hopefully lead a promotion push. He was seen as the dressing room leader the team evidently lacked, yet it just hasn’t happened. Lambert needed quick players around him to compensate his own lack of mobility, but Trollope’s team lacked any sort of pace.

Anthony Pilkington was picked ahead of him on Saturday when Kenneth Zohore was injured against Wigan. That says everything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: THE PLAYER THAT WAS THE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT FOR CARDI

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:44 am

I don't mind taking a gamble on players as some will pay off and others won't.

However singing Lambert wasn't a gamble it was utter madness and stupidity, why...

1 he's past his prime
2 he's injury prone
3 he's scoring record pre City was poor
4 a two year contract at 25k a week

The only worse decision City have made in recent times was changing our kit to red!

Honestly there is a taking a gamble then there is throwing money away

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:52 am

cardiffblue74 wrote:I don't mind taking a gamble on players as some will pay off and others won't.

However singing Lambert wasn't a gamble it was utter madness and stupidity, why...

1 he's past his prime
2 he's injury prone

The only worse decision City have made in recent times was changing our kit to red!

100% agree,total madness and bad management all round.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:55 am

Jesus. To many to pick one player out. :lol:

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:01 pm

Could name a long list of poor strikers our club has signed, Lambert is up there but by no means the worst waste of money of recent times.

He reminds me a little of the Fowler signing.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Lambert on a free at 25k a week I'd argue is better than Cornelius bought for 8million on 45k a week and sold year later at loss of 5million.

At least we've got goals out of Lambert.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:53 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:Lambert on a free at 25k a week I'd argue is better than Cornelius bought for 8million on 45k a week and sold year later at loss of 5million.

You would be right but it hardly vindicates RL's signing. The article seemed to be about who was the biggest disappointment this season and without a doubt that has to be Lambert.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:56 pm

cardiffblue74 wrote:I don't mind taking a gamble on players as some will pay off and others won't.

1 he's past his prime
2 he's injury prone

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but looking back you have to wonder why any of us thought it was a good signing.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:21 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:Lambert on a free at 25k a week I'd argue is better than Cornelius bought for 8million on 45k a week and sold year later at loss of 5million.

You would be right but it hardly vindicates RL's signing. The article seemed to be about who was the biggest disappointment this season and without a doubt that has to be Lambert.

Your right I didn't see the 2016-17 reference on the post.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:17 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens with him this summer with him.

Will we pay him out? or will warnock get him on the treadmill and off the see food diet and have one last go at it??

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

1 he's past his prime
2 he's injury prone

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but looking back you have to wonder why any of us thought it was a good signing.

Agree Tony, at the time I will thought he might be a decent signing...he still might turn out to be...however if it's true he only started 8 games in the previous 3 seasons looking back with hindsight it was pretty obvious he was a huge gamble and was never really going to succeed!!!

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:39 pm

he certainly hasnt done the business. no arguement there, not so sure about disappointment though.
i had huge doubts due to his recent record and think a lot of other people felt the same the big disappointments for me were Huws who i at least expected to see. and Immers who only looked 10% of the player we had on loan last season.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:16 pm

What about Kenwyn Jones :roll:

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:17 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:

What about Kenwyn Jones :roll:

I thought Kenwyn did a job although wages were madness, a swap for Odemwingie another awful signing. Although none of these are in the same league as Cornelius.

A long list of poor strikers on big wages over the years, just shows Lambert isn't a one off.