Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FRANSECO TOTTI

Wed May 03, 2017 2:20 pm

Played under 16 Managers in 24 years' service with Roma.

Fantastic Player still, at 40!

Amazing Loyalty to stay with one Club for such a long time.

Re: FRANSECO TOTTI

Wed May 03, 2017 3:12 pm

One of the greatest players to grace the game, kept himself in tiptop shape and is an excellent role model, another similar player is Gianluigi Buffon, credit to both, top professionals in their field.

Wed May 03, 2017 4:38 pm

I lived in Rome for four years, (2010 to 2014), and Francesco Totti is described as the 'symbol' of AS Roma. He is absolutely revered by Roma fans, because he is one of them himself. He comes across as a good bloke, as well, not afraid to laugh at himself. There are loads of jokes doing the rounds, along the lines that Totti is a bit thick, (he speaks in a strong, working class, Roman dialect), so he had published two books full of these jokes, and gave all the money to charity. Rome is the most football-mad city I have ever known, it dominates everything. When a Lazio fan was shot dead by a policeman, some years ago, Totti laid a wreath in front of their fans before a derby game.

Having said all that, I'm a SS Lazio fan myself, and went to watch them play regularly. Still go out once or twice a season to see them. Saw them play Cagliari back in October.

Buffon is not a one-club man, but stuck with Juventus when they were relegated to Serie B, as did Alessandro Del Piero, and others. This after just winning the World Cup.

A lot of people slag off Italian football, but they know their stuff. Italian fans look up to English football, rightly seeing it as the home of the game. I've got a lot of time for them.

Wed May 03, 2017 5:38 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:I lived in Rome for four years, (2010 to 2014), and Francesco Totti is described as the 'symbol' of AS Roma. He is absolutely revered by Roma fans, because he is one of them himself. He comes across as a good bloke, as well, not afraid to laugh at himself. There are loads of jokes doing the rounds, along the lines that Totti is a bit thick, (he speaks in a strong, working class, Roman dialect), so he had published two books full of these jokes, and gave all the money to charity. Rome is the most football-mad city I have ever known, it dominates everything. When a Lazio fan was shot dead by a policeman, some years ago, Totti laid a wreath in front of their fans before a derby game.

Having said all that, I'm a SS Lazio fan myself, and went to watch them play regularly. Still go out once or twice a season to see them. Saw them play Cagliari back in October.

Buffon is not a one-club man, but stuck with Juventus when they were relegated to Serie B, as did Alessandro Del Piero, and others. This after just winning the World Cup.

A lot of people slag off Italian football, but they know their stuff. Italian fans look up to English football, rightly seeing it as the home of the game. I've got a lot of time for them.

Cracking post fella and a little insight into footie in Rome, I love Italian football, always remember as a kid about 25 yrs back on Sunday afternoon that bald guy who presented the Italian games, Goalaziooooo, i'm a neutral when it comes to Italian football but a side i've followed for a few years is Sampdoria.

Wed May 03, 2017 6:20 pm

Off to Lazio v Sampdoria this weekend :thumbup:

Wed May 03, 2017 7:56 pm

PtB wrote:Off to Lazio v Sampdoria this weekend :thumbup:

:thumbup:

Wed May 03, 2017 7:57 pm

Wolfpac wrote:
llangainbluebird wrote:I lived in Rome for four years, (2010 to 2014), and Francesco Totti is described as the 'symbol' of AS Roma. He is absolutely revered by Roma fans, because he is one of them himself. He comes across as a good bloke, as well, not afraid to laugh at himself. There are loads of jokes doing the rounds, along the lines that Totti is a bit thick, (he speaks in a strong, working class, Roman dialect), so he had published two books full of these jokes, and gave all the money to charity. Rome is the most football-mad city I have ever known, it dominates everything. When a Lazio fan was shot dead by a policeman, some years ago, Totti laid a wreath in front of their fans before a derby game.

Cracking post fella and a little insight into footie in Rome, I love Italian football, always remember as a kid about 25 yrs back on Sunday afternoon that bald guy who presented the Italian games, Goalaziooooo, i'm a neutral when it comes to Italian football but a side i've followed for a few years is Sampdoria.

Great club La Samp, and Genoa too.

Mon May 08, 2017 12:33 am

llangainbluebird wrote:
PtB wrote:Off to Lazio v Sampdoria this weekend :thumbup:

:thumbup:

7-3 fantastic stuff!!

Mon May 08, 2017 10:41 pm

Wolfpac wrote:One of the greatest players to grace the game, kept himself in tiptop shape and is an excellent role model, another similar player is Gianluigi Buffon, credit to both, top professionals in their field.

Both Top Professionals :thumbup:

Tue May 09, 2017 2:10 pm

On the subject of the wops lets not forget pirlo whose still playing in the states. Absolute magician.

Tue May 09, 2017 8:52 pm

Javier Zanetti was another amazing player in Italy.
The Argentinian looked after himself even if he didn't quite play as many games at Totti - but he won more trophies.

Incredible amount of caps for Argentina too.

With 1114 official games played, he is fifth player in history with the most career appearances. He is also the foreign player with the most appearances in Serie A (615), and holds the fourth-most appearances in the league, behind only Paolo Maldini, Gianluigi Buffon and Francesco Totti. He is the most capped player in the history of Inter (858), and won 16 trophies with the club: five Scudetti, four Coppa Italia, four Supercoppa Italiana, one UEFA Cup, one Champions League and the FIFA Club World Cup. He is also the most capped player as captain in the Champions League (82).

With the Argentina national team he played in 145 games, a figure that makes him the player with the most appearances in the history of La Albiceleste. With Argentina he reached the final of the Copa América in 2004 and 2007, and Confederations Cup in 1995 and 2005.

Apps (Gls)
1992–1993 Talleres (Argentina) 33 (1)
1993–1995 Banfield (Argentina) 66 (4)
1995–2014 Internazionale 615 (12)
Total 714 (17)

National team
1996 Argentina U23 12 (0)
1994–2011 Argentina 143 (5)

Wed May 10, 2017 9:28 pm

nubbsy wrote:On the subject of the wops lets not forget pirlo whose still playing in the states. Absolute magician.

:thumbup: ;)