Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ' Peter Whittingham Offered a New Contract '

Sat May 06, 2017 10:14 am

City Slicker wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:What if Swansea sign him, would you fear him playing against us ???

No all ypu have to do with whitts is press him and give him no time on the ball and hes useless

I'd be delighted if he signed for any other Championship side, he's so easy to mark out of the game. Just be careful you don't give away too many corners and penalties.

Exactly

Sat May 06, 2017 10:27 am

wez1927 wrote:
oxfordblue wrote:Of course he needs to play and so he should he is our best player. I'd build my team around him .

Best player ?are you on drugs build a team around a slow 33 year old ffs :lol:

No not on drugs just my opinion. I watch him play enjoy his passing, dead ball delivery and count the goals and assists.

Sat May 06, 2017 10:43 am

City Slicker wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:What if Swansea sign him, would you fear him playing against us ???

No all ypu have to do with whitts is press him and give him no time on the ball and hes useless

I'd be delighted if he signed for any other Championship side, he's so easy to mark out of the game. Just be careful you don't give away too many corners and penalties.

5 years ago yes but not now hes definitely lost his spark need better if we are serious about being promoted

Sat May 06, 2017 10:54 am

wez1927 wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

5 years ago yes but not now hes definitely lost his spark need better if we are serious about being promoted

sure but are we serious about promotion because its going to be expensive

Sat May 06, 2017 11:50 pm

wez1927 wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:33k a week and you got people like Joe Ralls 10 years younger who can plug at the stats he racked in this season, 7 goals and 7 assists in 30 odd games, stats don't lie.. older or slower but still contributed to the most to the team out of everyone.

Yet people want him out the door and you got people like Gunnarsson with 3 goals and 3 assists, Kadeem Harris 4 goals and 4 assists, Joe Ralls 6 goals and 1 assists, some of these guys are 5-10 years younger than Whitts and can't pull in them figures and you guys think these are the players to get us near promotion?

I hope Whitts takes it but like McNaughton this guy has stuck with us through thick and thin, he had tons of offers from Prem clubs and clubs in our division, I think the treatment is shocking by some on here especially Wez every club makes a player a millionaire you clown you make out he's the only player who makes money in football the amount of players we paid like Caulker etc and didn't give half of what Whitts has to this club.

Stats do lie and can be misleading,how many mis tackles or not closing down of opponents? Whitts is not the player he was ,he was a great player but not anymore

Stats do lie? :lol: :lol: :lol: So the 7 goals and 7 assists don't lie? :oops:

Sun May 07, 2017 6:26 am

Why all this crap, for gods sake he is past it. Let him go, it is like holding onto a piece of old furniture because it has sentimental value. We need fit young aggressive midfielders not :old: .

Sun May 07, 2017 8:53 am

King Brian Clark wrote:Why all this crap, for gods sake he is past it. Let him go, it is like holding onto a piece of old furniture because it has sentimental value. We need fit young aggressive midfielders not :old: .

Top and sensible post KBC! However, I've said before, old loyalties never die. That's why many people look at the issue with rose coloured glasses. Whatever happens to PW it won't please everyone that's for sure. Either way, half will be jumping for joy and the other half will be slitting their throats. Marmite indeed :lol:

Wed May 10, 2017 5:41 pm

King Brian Clark wrote:Why all this crap, for gods sake he is past it. Let him go, it is like holding onto a piece of old furniture because it has sentimental value.

All very sensible...

Except for the fact that he's our third highest goalscorer and second highest assists this season...

Why get rid of your old sofa when its doing the job you paid for it?

Thu May 11, 2017 11:12 am

"No not on drugs just my opinion. I watch him play enjoy his passing, dead ball delivery and count the goals and assists."

Sadly he's not the player he was. His assists (7) are because he takes all free kicks and corners. For your information, Morrison has 5 assists. How many assists has Whittingham from open play?

StT.
<><

Thu May 11, 2017 2:17 pm

Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:"No not on drugs just my opinion. I watch him play enjoy his passing, dead ball delivery and count the goals and assists."

Sadly he's not the player he was. His assists (7) are because he takes all free kicks and corners. For your information, Morrison has 5 assists. How many assists has Whittingham from open play?

StT.
<><

So what if his 7 assists were from them? Did Joe Ralls, Noone and co offer anything with theirs?

Thu May 11, 2017 8:37 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:
Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:"No not on drugs just my opinion. I watch him play enjoy his passing, dead ball delivery and count the goals and assists."

StT.
<><

So what if his 7 assists were from them? Did Joe Ralls, Noone and co offer anything with theirs?

They probably would if they were able to take the set pieces all season. As already said, how many of Whittingham's goals and assists were from open play? His set piece delivery is good, but not vastly superior to anyone else in our squad. If Ralls took all the set pieces and penalties next season, he will probably have similar stats to Whittingham this season.

Thu May 11, 2017 10:34 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:

StT.
<><

Come on Dandy boy, I imagine you feel embarrassed after that post. Law of averages tells you if you take the lion's share of corners and free kicks you are going to get the lion's share of assists, fairly basic logic really. Anyone can take a corner, even me and you, and PW's contribution in open play has been jack shit. Onwards and upwards! :thumbup:

Thu May 11, 2017 10:49 pm

City Slicker wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:

StT.
<><

Come on Dandy boy, I imagine you feel embarrassed after that post. Law of averages tells you if you take the lion's share of corners and free kicks you are going to get the lion's share of assists, fairly basic logic really. Anyone can take a corner, even me and you, and PW's contribution in open play has been jack shit. Onwards and upwards! :thumbup:

So you think the rest of the midfield could provide that? Ralls played 4 more games so your theory if flawed because he only conjured up 1 assist.. Don't feel embarrassed at all, 7 goals and 7 assists.. stats do not lie my friend.

Thu May 11, 2017 10:53 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:

StT.
<><

So you think the rest of the midfield could provide that? Ralls played 4 more games so your theory if flawed because he only conjured up 1 assist.. Don't feel embarrassed at all, 7 goals and 7 assists.. stats do not lie my friend.

Oh dear, just pause for a second and think will you. When Whittingham and Ralls were both on the pitch at the same time (the majority of the season) who took all the set pieces out of the two?

Fri May 12, 2017 11:28 am

DandoCCFC wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:

StT.
<><

Actually when you count the number of minutes on the pitch last season then Ralls effectively played more than 9 games more than Whitts.

As others have said on the law of averages the more corners you take the more likely you are to assist a goal. Last season Whitts, Ralls, Noone, Hoilett, Harris and Pilkington took corners but only 1 other player had an assist - Noone. Only 1 other player in the Championship has more assists from corners than Whitts (5) this season and that is Hernandez (6) of Leeds. Last season Cardiff averaged just over 8 corners per game so it could be argued that Whitts would of been number 1 in the Championship if he had played the same number of minutes as Ralls. The point I'm making is that it's to simplistic to argue that Whitts takes the most corners because it allows NO credit for the quality of the delivery you get with Whitts. Quality which not just other Cardiff players but other Championship players struggle to get near.

No one can argue that NW knows what it takes to win games in the Championship or that Whitts is not a NW type of player but, if NW gets the quality of forward he is looking for this summer he will need players to provide quality service to them.

Even as a squad player surely Whitts is still needed if for no other reason other than when we are chasing a game.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri May 12, 2017 12:56 pm

castleblue wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:

StT.
<><

Actually when you count the number of minutes on the pitch last season then Ralls effectively played more than 9 games more than Whitts.

As others have said on the law of averages the more corners you take the more likely you are to assist a goal. Last season Whitts, Ralls, Noone, Hoilett, Harris and Pilkington took corners but only 1 other player had an assist - Noone. Only 1 other player in the Championship has more assists from corners than Whitts (5) this season and that is Hernandez (6) of Leeds. Last season Cardiff averaged just over 8 corners per game so it could be argued that Whitts would of been number 1 in the Championship if he had played the same number of minutes as Ralls. The point I'm making is that it's to simplistic to argue that Whitts takes the most corners because it allows NO credit for the quality of the delivery you get with Whitts. Quality which not just other Cardiff players but other Championship players struggle to get near.

No one can argue that NW knows what it takes to win games in the Championship or that Whitts is not a NW type of player but, if NW gets the quality of forward he is looking for this summer he will need players to provide quality service to them.

Even as a squad player surely Whitts is still needed if for no other reason other than when we are chasing a game.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

I entirely agree City need quality delivery in midfield but why him? If there's not better, younger and less expensive midfielders out there than Whittingham I'll do a Paddy Ashdown (or not in his case) :lol: Why the obsession with the past? There's a whole world of players out there. Even your beloved statistics will tell you that. Onward and upward :bluebird:

Fri May 12, 2017 1:47 pm

He could do well at an ambitious League 1 side if they want to pay him around the same amount. Portsmouth would e a good fit for him.

But I'd still like him to stay for one more season.