Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Are clubs right to field so-called 'weakened' teams when so much is still at stake for others?

Poll ended at Mon May 08, 2017 1:09 pm

Yes, each club should look after its own interests alone
59%
No, it questions the integrity of the competition
41%

Total votes : 58

' VOTE POLL: ' FIELDING WEAKENED TEAMS '

Sun May 07, 2017 1:09 pm

Our own Neil Warnock has entered the debate and stated that whilst he can understand the position of other managers, he feels they need to have seen the 'other' side of the coin to see how much it can affect other teams in a season that is supposed to last 46 games...

What do others think? :ayatollah:

Re: POLL: WEAKENED TEAMS

Sun May 07, 2017 1:16 pm

The integrity of game was compromised by Huddersfield actions! We beat them but would we have if they played 1st team? Same last week playing a reserve side against a relegation threatened team with other teams being effected by that result its wrong only need to see table now to see that. :old:

Sun May 07, 2017 1:17 pm

i think it depends.

if it's on the last day, against a team with nothing to play for (like if Huddersfield had done it against us today, Sheffield Wednesday also did it today against Fulham) to rest players for the play-offs, sure

But why Huddersfield did it against Birmingham and not against us I'll never know, what kind of logic is that?! They should have rested players today, not last week.

Sun May 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Cymru Am Byth wrote:i think it depends.

if it's on the last day, against a team with nothing to play for (like if Huddersfield had done it against us today, Sheffield Wednesday also did it today against Fulham) to rest players for the play-offs, sure

But why Huddersfield did it against Birmingham and not against us I'll never know, what kind of logic is that?! They should have rested players today, not last week.

Their arguement was to give them long rest but even if played last week still have 10days off before playoffs! But instead they chose a game that effected relegation outcome ultimately! That's whats wrong.

Sun May 07, 2017 1:28 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Their arguement was to give them long rest but even if played last week still have 10days off before playoffs! But instead they chose a game that effected relegation outcome ultimately! That's whats wrong.

yeah i disagree with what they did

but if Birmingham had been their last game, i wouldn't have seen anything wrong with it

Sun May 07, 2017 1:29 pm

pembroke allan wrote:The integrity of game was compromised by Huddersfield actions! We beat them but would we have if they played 1st team? Same last week playing a reserve side against a relegation threatened team with other teams being effected by that result its wrong only need to see table now to see that. :old:

that was their first team! :ayatollah:

Sun May 07, 2017 1:33 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Allan, I tend to agree with your post and in general and I think the integrity of the competition should be that the table should be decided over 46 games and not because of the crazy way the fixture list falls! :thumbup:

Huddersfield played a decent (mainly first) team against us today but I'm not sure their 'heart' was in it? :(

Sun May 07, 2017 1:34 pm

Cymru Am Byth wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:The integrity of game was compromised by Huddersfield actions! We beat them but would we have if they played 1st team? Same last week playing a reserve side against a relegation threatened team with other teams being effected by that result its wrong only need to see table now to see that. :old:

that was their first team! :ayatollah:

Ahhh understood was playing weakened team! But they did play a reserve team when game mattered last week! why not other way around ehen more appropriate?

Sun May 07, 2017 1:37 pm

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Allan, I tend to agree with your post and in general I think the integrity of the competition should be that the table should be decided over 46 games and not because of the crazy way the fixture list falls! :thumbup: :(

Simple answer to people who think it was right is what if city were relegated by what they did would they think it was ok then? :o

Sun May 07, 2017 1:40 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Allan, I tend to agree with your post and in general I think the integrity of the competition should be that the table should be decided over 46 games and not because of the crazy way the fixture list falls! :thumbup: :(

Simple answer to people who think it was right is what if city were relegated by what they did would they think it was ok then? :o

Allan, Neil Warnock has a great opinion the effects of that very issue! :thumbright: ;)

Sun May 07, 2017 1:45 pm

The argument is extremely strong that a team earns the right to rest players especially if play-offs are coming.

The team that are affected by a weak team have only themselves to blame, they put themselves in that position why should they be relying on other teams that have other fish to fry.

The Huddersfield goalie is now out of the play-offs.... they could have rested him
Last edited by Wayne S on Sun May 07, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 07, 2017 1:45 pm

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Allan, Neil Warnock has a great opinion the effects of that very issue! :thumbright: ;)

It's ok playing weakened team in cups as only effecting the weakened team? But not in such an important game like last week? :old:

Sun May 07, 2017 1:51 pm

Wayne S wrote:The argument is extremely strong that a team earns the right to rest players especially if play-offs are coming.

The team that are affected by a weak team have only themselves to blame, they put themselves in that position why should they be relying on other teams that have other fish to fry.

The Huddersfield goalie is now out of the play-offs.... they could have rested him

I'm sort of split between the two votes but you've made some good points, the relegation threatened teams had 44 game to get out of danger before the Huddersfield fiasco. Yes I'd feel hard done by if it happened to Cardiff but you can't blame a season on 1 game

Sun May 07, 2017 2:01 pm

Wayne S wrote:The argument is extremely strong that a team earns the right to rest players especially if play-offs are coming.

Based on your view it's ok for any team to play a reserve team in last game of season knowing full well that the result will have a detrimental effect on another team? It's not relying on another team it's called integrity ! Why do you think all games kick off at same time for any last game of the season? So it's fair to all teams :thumbup:
Last edited by pembroke allan on Sun May 07, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 07, 2017 2:02 pm

Okay so what if Huddersfield put out their strongest team on both occasions? They wouldn't be that motivated to play or put themselves about for obvious reasons. It's pathetic teams lower down with deeper squads than Huddersfield complaining essentially about their over-achievement. You get relegated over the entire season not over one or two little incidents.

Sun May 07, 2017 2:08 pm

BrightBlueFuture wrote:Okay so what if Huddersfield put out their strongest team on both occasions? They wouldn't be that motivated to play or put themselves about for obvious reasons. It's pathetic teams lower down with deeper squads than Huddersfield complaining essentially about their over-achievement. You get relegated over the entire season not over one or two little incidents.

It's about a game not incidents! So you play 45 games but your rival needs to win to send you down? your opponent play strongest team against you but your rival faces a reserve team is that ok ? :roll:

Sun May 07, 2017 4:32 pm

It all depends. If we were in the play offs and we played a nothing game and Warnock picked our best side and we got Gunnerson booked so he was banned and Zohore got injured and worse our keepers gets sent off we would be going mad with the manager ffs put the second team out give the youngsters a go don't screw up the play offs. so I understand managers doing it

However if like sheff united when in the premiership your team gets relegated when a team with nothing to play puts a weeken team out and they lose giving our competitors 3 points and safety we then would question the integrity of the competition.

Sun May 07, 2017 4:39 pm

I agree it's all about the season. Not 1 game Huddersfield done well over 40+ matches why should they risk players with a chance of premier league to come

Sun May 07, 2017 4:40 pm

valleyrambill wrote:It all depends. If we were in the play offs and we played a nothing game and Warnock picked our best side and we got Gunnerson booked so he was banned and Zohore got injured and worse our keepers gets sent off we would be going mad with the manager ffs put the second team out give the youngsters a go don't screw up the play offs. so I understand managers doing it

However if like sheff united when in the premiership your team gets relegated when a team with nothing to play puts a weeken team out and they lose giving our competitors 3 points and safety we then would question the integrity of the competition.

Like said before nothing wrong if in a nothing game for both sides but not in game that effected relegation outcome ultimately! Musnt forget they actually played a reserve team bar 1 player last week :o

Sun May 07, 2017 4:58 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Based on your view it's ok for any team to play a reserve team in last game of season knowing full well that the result will have a detrimental effect on another team?

Yes, they earned that right.

Just like putting their strongest team out against a team fighting for survival could have a detrimental affect on THEM be it through injuries or sendings off.

Like others have said we as Cardiff fans wouldn't like it if we went down as a result of it. I would turn that on its head and say we would not be happy if we put out our strongest team, got drawn into a battle as the other team needed the points and got three injuries and a sending off.

If we went into the play-offs without 4 main players and lost I'd be blaming the manager for risking them in a nothing (for us) game.

No good honouring other team if it's detrimental to yours, especially as they had 45 games to NOT be in that position.

Sun May 07, 2017 5:08 pm

If we make the playoffs next season and we are in Huddersfield's position, I would be fuming if we played a full strength team and suffered few key injuries in a meaningless game before the playoffs.

If a team is affected by another team playing a weakened team to affect whether they avoid relegation, that's their fault for putting theirselves in that position by not being good enough throughout the course of the season.

Sun May 07, 2017 5:38 pm

Look after yourselves first, and do whatever is best for your own team. I don't give a hoot about the other teams, and I don't think for one minute that they give a hoot about us.

Sun May 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Wayne S wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Based on your view it's ok for any team to play a reserve team in last game of season knowing full well that the result will have a detrimental effect on another team?

Just like putting their strongest team out against a team fighting for survival could have a detrimental affect on THEM be it through injuries or sendings off.

Like others have said we as Cardiff fans wouldn't like it if we went down as a result of it. I would turn that on its head and say we would not be happy if we put out our strongest team, got drawn into a battle as the other team needed the points and got three injuries and a sending off.

If we went into the play-offs without 4 main players and lost I'd be blaming the manager for risking them in a nothing (for us) game.

No good honouring other team if it's detrimental to yours, especially as they had 45 games to NOT be in that position.

So guess integrity or fair play means nothing ? nothing wrong with playing weakened team in cups or non Games like ours today? I thought a team had a complete season of 46 games to achieve something not 40 odd games ! Anyway that's me done on this thread :wave:

Sun May 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Who is to say what your best team is.

Kenny was (and probably is) on paper round money compared to Lambert, so on paper with Lambert & Whitts on the bench we played a weakened team.

If you are a paid professional and registered, its up to the club who they select

Sun May 07, 2017 6:21 pm

With opposing teams doing their utmost to get our players sent off, conning refs into giving penalties and generally being anything other than sporting, why on earth would we feel obliged to be jolly good chaps and good sports so that they can benefit from our kindheartedness. They can sort themselves out and you can bet they won't be doing us any favours if they are in a similar situation. Do what is best for your own team and players, and tough luck if that has a bad effect on some other team who would do exactly the same if the roles were reversed.

Sun May 07, 2017 7:33 pm

This shouldn't be a topic, if the players fielded are on professional contracts then they should have every right to play and the club shouldn't be questioned, if the so called weaker team won no-one would say anything.

Sun May 07, 2017 7:47 pm

What's the point in buying a squad if you can't use them, they're all professional footballers at the end of the day, why shouldn't they play.

Sun May 07, 2017 8:08 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

So guess integrity or fair play means nothing ? nothing wrong with playing weakened team in cups or non Games like ours today? I thought a team had a complete season of 46 games to achieve something not 40 odd games ! Anyway that's me done on this thread :wave:

Integrity is not really the word you are looking for or at least it's not really an issue.

There is no breaking of the rules and the teams are not lying. The team is there for all to see and is part of the registered squad for that team.

All I know is that if our clubs sense of fairness meant that we went into the play-offs with a weak team OURSELVES then the fans would be up in arms.

Mon May 08, 2017 5:23 am

Reply From Tweeter

Barrie H‏ @EtonRifles67
Replying to @AnnisAbraham
I'm a Blackburn fan, Huddersfield and Bristol City took the piss letting Birmingham take points off them

Mon May 08, 2017 7:06 am

Wayne S wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Integrity is not really the word you are looking for or at least it's not really an issue.

There is no breaking of the rules and the teams are not lying. The team is there for all to see and is part of the registered squad for that team.

All I know is that if our clubs sense of fairness meant that we went into the play-offs with a weak team OURSELVES then the fans would be up in arms.

Spot on.
Just read through this and I agree with your points in this thread Wayne.
Nothing to do with integrity at all. That's ridiculous. It's a squad game. A squad full of professionals and the manager has the right to pick any of them at any time for any reason he thinks whether that is to rest other players, because of injury, or to have a look at them.
We've done all three this season.