Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

51 points and relegated

Sun May 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Looking at the table and Blackburn went down on 51 points. Maybe I'm remembering past season's incorrectly but that seems abnormally high. I always thought around 40 was the safe mark?

Dunno if it means the Championship is getting more competitive with even the team's at the bottom winning more?

Re: 51 points and relegated

Sun May 07, 2017 9:25 pm

Managers always want to get to 50pts first and assume that is safety.

However there are a few seasons when clubs go down with over 50pts.

Those seasons are usually the most competitive ones with no one team running away with the league and many teams in a relegation or play-off battle right to the end of the season.

Sun May 07, 2017 10:05 pm

the year we got promoted 2 clubs were relegated with more than 50 pts
Wolves 51pts
and peterborough with 54 pts

Mon May 08, 2017 6:35 am

51 points Is a huge amount to pick up and go down

Just shows how tight the championship really is , if Trollope was still here we would never of got over the 40 point mark let alone 50!

I also remember the Peterborough 54 points and went down

Mon May 08, 2017 7:02 am

The abnormally high points is also due to there being a team adrift at the bottom. Read somewhere that Rotherhams points total was the lowest for about 20 years.

Mon May 08, 2017 7:16 am

40 points is regarded as the safety mark in the Premier League for their 38 games. Over 50 points are required to stay up in the other divisions where 46 games are played.

Mon May 08, 2017 7:16 am

This season all of the top 6 sides have topped 80 points and I can't think of another season since the playoffs were introduced that has happened. Normally the 6th place club need 75 points to get in the playoffs, this season Leeds have finished with 75 points but outside the playoffs.

Reading finished 3rd with 85 points just 2 points less than our total when we won the Championship. That season Peterborough were relegated with 54 points.

What does all that mean :? Just that the Championship is competitive every season.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Mon May 08, 2017 7:31 am

mugsy wrote:40 points is regarded as the safety mark in the Premier League for their 38 games. Over 50 points are required to stay up in the other divisions where 46 games are played.

Ahhh I think that's where I'm getting the 40 point figure from