Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Global warming a lie hmmmm

Mon May 08, 2017 1:26 pm

Ever since December temperatures in the Arctic have consistently been lower than minus 20 C. In April the extent of Arctic sea ice was back to where it was in April 13 years ago. Furthermore, whereas in 2008 most of the ice was extremely thin, this year most has been at least two metres thick. The Greenland ice cap last winter increased in volume faster than at any time for years. As for those record temperatures brought in 2016 by an exceptionally strong El Niño, the satellites now show that in recent months global temperatures have plummeted by more that 0.6 degrees: just as happened 17 years ago after a similarly strong El Niño had also made 1998 the “hottest year on record”. This means the global temperature trend has now shown no further warming for 19 years. But the BBC won’t be telling us any of this. And we are still stuck with that insanely damaging Climate Change Act, which in this election will scarcely get a mention.

Re: Global warming a lie hmmmm

Mon May 08, 2017 4:31 pm

wez1927 wrote:Ever since December temperatures in the Arctic have consistently been lower than minus 20 C. In April the extent of Arctic sea ice was back to where it was in April 13 years ago. Furthermore, whereas in 2008 most of the ice was extremely thin, this year most has been at least two metres thick. The Greenland ice cap last winter increased in volume faster than at any time for years. As for those record temperatures brought in 2016 by an exceptionally strong El Niño, the satellites now show that in recent months global temperatures have plummeted by more that 0.6 degrees: just as happened 17 years ago after a similarly strong El Niño had also made 1998 the “hottest year on record”. This means the global temperature trend has now shown no further warming for 19 years. But the BBC won’t be telling us any of this. And we are still stuck with that insanely damaging Climate Change Act, which in this election will scarcely get a mention.

I think when they realised not many would fall for the global warming scenario they decided climate change would sound better. I am sure plenty of people are making big money out of it, unfortunately I'm not one of them.

Mon May 08, 2017 6:02 pm

Looks like Trump got it right then.

Mon May 08, 2017 6:32 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
wez1927 wrote:Ever since December temperatures in the Arctic have consistently been lower than minus 20 C. In April the extent of Arctic sea ice was back to where it was in April 13 years ago. Furthermore, whereas in 2008 most of the ice was extremely thin, this year most has been at least two metres thick. The Greenland ice cap last winter increased in volume faster than at any time for years. As for those record temperatures brought in 2016 by an exceptionally strong El Niño, the satellites now show that in recent months global temperatures have plummeted by more that 0.6 degrees: just as happened 17 years ago after a similarly strong El Niño had also made 1998 the “hottest year on record”. This means the global temperature trend has now shown no further warming for 19 years. But the BBC won’t be telling us any of this. And we are still stuck with that insanely damaging Climate Change Act, which in this election will scarcely get a mention.

I think when they realised not many would fall for the global warming scenario they decided climate change would sound better. I am sure plenty of people are making big money out of it, unfortunately I'm not one of them.

Its big business by the world elites to make money off us

Mon May 08, 2017 8:06 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Oil and fossil fuels is big business, not solar power or any other green energy at the moment. Your figures on the arctics are totally wrong, and misinformed.

Sea ice in the arctic and Antarctica are both at record ever recorded lows;

"The area covered by sea ice in the Arctic was at just 13.19 million square kilometers in January 2017. While this may sound big, it's the smallest this area has been since the start of satellite recordings, according to the online "Meereisportal" or sea ice portal, an initiative run by several German research institutions.

It's also roughly 1.2 million square kilometers smaller than the long-term average measured from 1981 to 2010.

The situation isn't any better in the south, either. There is less sea ice surrounding Antarctica today than there was since reliable records began in 1979."

Mon May 08, 2017 9:46 pm

JimCP91 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Oil and fossil fuels is big business, not solar power or any other green energy at the moment. Your figures on the arctics are totally wrong, and misinformed.

"The area covered by sea ice in the Arctic was at just 13.19 million square kilometers in January 2017. While this may sound big, it's the smallest this area has been since the start of satellite recordings, according to the online "Meereisportal" or sea ice portal, an initiative run by several German research institutions.

It's also roughly 1.2 million square kilometers smaller than the long-term average measured from 1981 to 2010.

The situation isn't any better in the south, either. There is less sea ice surrounding Antarctica today than there was since reliable records began in 1979."

How do you know that your figures arnt wrong and your being brainwashed ? What i have written is directly from the Danish govetments research which ive copied abd pasted on here

Mon May 08, 2017 9:53 pm

JimCP91 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Renewable energy is huge business. On shore wind warms alone in the UK produce enough power to supply over 8 million homes.

Mon May 08, 2017 9:58 pm

nubbsy wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Renewable energy is huge business. On shore wind warms alone in the UK produce enough power to supply over 8 million homes.

Agree and what about the bloody climate change levy on our bills how much does that generate in income, i just think they are milking us

Mon May 08, 2017 10:32 pm

JimCP91 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

A perfect example of the alarmist angle taken when talking about climate change is in your post here...

Essentially your 'headline' is: Sea ice in Arctic and Antartica are both at record ever recorded lows

Yet you then point out that reliable records only began in 1979.

Given the Earth is estimated to be about 4.5 Billion years old that means that the data we have is representative of 0.0000009% of the Earth's lifetime - so how can you say with any authority that climate change is anything other than a natural cycle of the planet?

Historically, we know we went through a mini ice age in the Victorian era with the Thames freezing regularly for example.

Governments go around testing nuclear weapons underwater and in the atmosphere but it's you and me not sorting out our recycling into different boxes or leaving my car idling at the lights that's going to f**k the planet up?

I accept that climate change is almost certainly a real phenomenon. The data is quite clear in the sense there is some fluctuation going on in the avg. global temperature but whether it is primarily man made or not is very much still open for debate however - as are the potential future dangers of these changes - isn't Miami supposed to be underwater by now? .

But it is also very true that Climate Change is currently being used as a tool to add layer upon layer of heavy handed regulation and control - without enough airtime being given to a credible scientific debate on the topic - those questioning the validity of the data and the interpretations being applied to that data often being shouted down as 'conspiracy theorist nuts'.

Tue May 09, 2017 11:00 pm

I've said for many years that it's bull shit. What have governments done about so called global warming ? Yeah raised taxes on everything. Lets face it it was obvious when governments suggested making it illegal to deny climate change.

Wed May 10, 2017 2:06 am

It's all about 'how' it is interpreted. Simple FACT is that the Earth (and other planets in our Solar System) are directly affected by the Sun's own 'solar cycles' during which it heats up and cools down accordingly

The Earth has had long periods of hot weather followed by cooler and/or wetter weather. In less scientific days, each was seen as a phenomenon rather than apocalyptic 'global warming' or 'climate change'

I'm not saying mankind cannot/should not do more to helps the environment in which we all have to live, but a fair amount of mis-information often peddled by those with a vested (often tax-raising) interest is very cleverly dressed to suit their particular agendas

Politicians of all denominations are by their very nature either unable/unwilling to provide a straight answer just in case it comes back to bite them on the rear. Sadly, those who break rank to tell the real story are ridiculed and castigated with the help of a pretty obedient (in general) Press! ;) :ayatollah:

Wed May 10, 2017 7:36 am

To me global warming was/is being used as big stick to beat the big polluting companies.What is beyond dispute is the effect these pollutants are having on the people and all life on the planet,the latest scare on diesel pollutants being a prime example.Even if it turned out that global warming was natural it shouldn't deter us from moving away from a fossil fuel economy.It would be extremely foolish to ignore the problem just because you think the symptoms aren't valid.

Thu May 11, 2017 3:13 pm

It makes me laugh that many people rule things out purely on the basis of them being conspiracy theories. I always say if you want to get to the truth all you have to do is follow the money! :thumbright:

Thu May 11, 2017 10:27 pm

In 1994, global warming and the greenhouse effect from CFC's, major industry and cows farts were widely reported to be a significant factor to global warming, to the the extent that the UK would now have a temperature akin to Provence.

To that end, I have consistently sprayed various brands of deodorant such as Lynx, Right Guard and Pit-Nice into the atmosphere but still I still cannot wear shorts and have barbecues in the winter. Its a f*cking disgrace. Let the chinks crack on I say.

Fri May 12, 2017 5:55 am

GrangeEndStar wrote:In 1994, global warming and the greenhouse effect from CFC's, major industry and cows farts were widely reported to be a significant factor to global warming, to the the extent that the UK would now have a temperature akin to Provence.

To that end, I have consistently sprayed various brands of deodorant such as Lynx, Right Guard and Pit-Nice into the atmosphere but still I still cannot wear shorts and have barbecues in the winter. Its a f*cking disgrace. Let the chinks crack on I say.

I think the global warming is giving Wales a miss, which is why so many of us are going to the Med for our holidays. We would probably go further afield if we were'nt all living in abject poverty. Perhaps we should introduce a " national spray your deodorant into the atmosphere" day in Wales to help this global warming on a bit. After all, a can of Lynx is much cheaper than a fortnight in Spain.

Fri May 12, 2017 7:07 am

I'm all for global warming it's about time we had some decent summers ;)

Hopefully the Monster Raving Looney Party will form the next Government and implement their policy of free petrol and encouraging car owners to make journey's for no apparent reason in order to speed the process up. :thumbup:

Fri May 12, 2017 7:08 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:In 1994, global warming and the greenhouse effect from CFC's, major industry and cows farts were widely reported to be a significant factor to global warming, to the the extent that the UK would now have a temperature akin to Provence.

I think the global warming is giving Wales a miss, which is why so many of us are going to the Med for our holidays. We would probably go further afield if we were'nt all living in abject poverty. Perhaps we should introduce a " national spray your deodorant into the atmosphere" day in Wales to help this global warming on a bit. After all, a can of Lynx is much cheaper than a fortnight in Spain.

:thumbup: :ayatollah:

Fri May 12, 2017 8:47 am

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6338/580

Fri May 12, 2017 10:39 am

What benefits do those in power have in saying global warming is real ?
1/ Raise even more taxes. Look at the Taxes they slap on cars now.
2/ A big money spinner to many companies IE these fecking wind Turbines that are now blighting the countryside here in the Valleys. And not to mention the levy put on every household via your heating bills to pay for this shite.
3/ Appocliptic scenarios especially when it is said it is being made my man fascinates people, and political parties jump on this by saying they will do more to save the world. Then the next party says it will do even more. And then it spins out of control.

So if it was a problem I would of thought they would do more than slap taxes on us. But air quality is a different matter and steps to improve this should continue.

Fri May 12, 2017 11:08 am

I can't actually believe some of the comments on here.

The arctic ice cap is, without doubt decreasing, pop over the water and have a look how far south polar bears now have to go searching for food as their natural habitat has been reduced so much.

You argue that there is a conspiracy because there's money to be made in sustainable energy, but do you really think that is anywhere near the level of money at stake for the fossil fuel lobby :shock: :roll:

Hopefully the restrictions now in place have slowed down the progress of global warming but anyone who believes it's a figment of people's imagination are, quite frankly, barking mad along with Trump and his money making cronies (including the Ruskies who have more to lose than anyone in limiting fossil fuels) !!

Fri May 12, 2017 11:14 am

Nuclearblue wrote:What benefits do those in power have in saying global warming is real ?
1/ Raise even more taxes. Look at the Taxes they slap on cars now.
2/ A big money spinner to many companies IE these fecking wind Turbines that are now blighting the countryside here in the Valleys. And not to mention the levy put on every household via your heating bills to pay for this shite.
3/ Appocliptic scenarios especially when it is said it is being made my man fascinates people, and political parties jump on this by saying they will do more to save the world. Then the next party says it will do even more. And then it spins out of control.

So if it was a problem I would of thought they would do more than slap taxes on us. But air quality is a different matter and steps to improve this should continue.

I remember 15 years ago Tony Blair making a speech where he said we have "15 years to save the planet" and that was the start of the green taxes.

As the world hasn't been destroyed a decade and half later I suppose he would claim the credit :P

But come on we are a little island off the coast of Europe and all our wind turbines didn't save the planet. In that 15 years China has vastly increased it's CO2 output and so have many other much larger countries. That leads you to the conclusion that the 'green taxes' were simply a revenue raising instrument. Plus those who saw this coming and jumped on the bandwagon have made billions of pounds out of it.

It's just another con.

Fri May 12, 2017 11:45 am

piledriver64 wrote:I can't actually believe some of the comments on here.

The arctic ice cap is, without doubt decreasing, pop over the water and have a look how far south polar bears now have to go searching for food as their natural habitat has been reduced so much.

You argue that there is a conspiracy because there's money to be made in sustainable energy, but do you really think that is anywhere near the level of money at stake for the fossil fuel lobby :shock: :roll:

Hopefully the restrictions now in place have slowed down the progress of global warming but anyone who believes it's a figment of people's imagination are, quite frankly, barking mad along with Trump and his money making cronies (including the Ruskies who have more to lose than anyone in limiting fossil fuels) !!

We've had extreme climate changes for a lot longer than the recent data which is used as proof of climate change. There is no doubt that as the recorded data shows, our climate has changed during the past few decades. Equally, if records are correct, this planet suffered much more extreme climate changes before man inhabited this world. Could of been down to dinosaurs farting or whatever, but one thing for sure is that modern climate change is certainly good for those making money out of it.

Fri May 12, 2017 12:07 pm

Surely whether you believe in climate change or not you must believe that using less fossil fuel compared to green energy is a good thing.
Regardless of pollution, which in this country is higher than in decades/and in others is higher than ever before with asthma and child deaths at unprecedented levels, fossil fuels aren't infinite and within the next few decades will increase in cost drastically and then run out completely, so either way shouldn't we be looking at alternatives? The greener and more sustainable the better in my opinion.

Fri May 12, 2017 12:29 pm

Weather is cyclic. I think the point is that greenhouse gases can exacerbate the effects of rising temperatures. The Danish report doesn't explain why the Barrier reef is bleaching.

p.s.

Anyone who gets their news from the BBC, fancies Diane Abbott.

Fri May 12, 2017 2:29 pm

CF14-SE14 wrote:Surely whether you believe in climate change or not you must believe that using less fossil fuel compared to green energy is a good thing.
Regardless of pollution, which in this country is higher than in decades/and in others is higher than ever before with asthma and child deaths at unprecedented levels, fossil fuels aren't infinite and within the next few decades will increase in cost drastically and then run out completely, so either way shouldn't we be looking at alternatives? The greener and more sustainable the better in my opinion.

Yes I agree but only if it is beneficial, profitable and it works like they say. I also agree that research is vital but to be told that these wind turbines is the answer is bull shit.
I believe the average wind turbine has the maximum output of 1MW, now this is what we are told. What we are not told the wind has to be at an exact speed for maximum output. Let's just say that is 25mph (example I don't know what the optimum speed is) how often does the wind blow at 25 mph ? Now if it blows to hard these things catch fire, and also if they need to be slowed down well that takes power from somewhere. Then if the wind doesn't blow your lights won't glow. But we are told these will produce 1MW of power all the time.
Solar has a place but look at the space required to produce not much power. There is tidal but ask the Canadians and they will tell you it ain't all what it's cracked up to be.
But research should continue because all the above may have a place in the future. We should be using shale gas as well as clean coal and Nuclear.

Fri May 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
CF14-SE14 wrote:Surely whether you believe in climate change or not you must believe that using less fossil fuel compared to green energy is a good thing.

Yes I agree but only if it is beneficial, profitable and it works like they say. I also agree that research is vital but to be told that these wind turbines is the answer is bull shit.
I believe the average wind turbine has the maximum output of 1MW, now this is what we are told. What we are not told the wind has to be at an exact speed for maximum output. Let's just say that is 25mph (example I don't know what the optimum speed is) how often does the wind blow at 25 mph ? Now if it blows to hard these things catch fire, and also if they need to be slowed down well that takes power from somewhere. Then if the wind doesn't blow your lights won't glow. But we are told these will produce 1MW of power all the time.
Solar has a place but look at the space required to produce not much power. There is tidal but ask the Canadians and they will tell you it ain't all what it's cracked up to be.
But research should continue because all the above may have a place in the future. We should be using shale gas as well as clean coal and Nuclear.

Not very often the wind speed is over 25mph 10-15mph is and average

Fri May 12, 2017 3:25 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

I have been told that the wind needs to reach 10mph in order to turn these blades. Probably not a big problem here, but we get calm days where the wind is less than this, and then nothing is being produced by these turbines.

Fri May 12, 2017 3:41 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

I have been told that the wind needs to reach 10mph in order to turn these blades. Probably not a big problem here, but we get calm days where the wind is less than this, and then nothing is being produced by these turbines.

Nuclear power is tbe only way foward and also tidal at least the tide can be predicted

Fri May 12, 2017 7:22 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

Yeah I agree with wind power is pretty useless, tidal has to be the way, we know exactly when the tide come in, and even if it's expensive as a set up it's worth it. Nuclear is expensive as a set up and we don't even know how expensive to clean up and dispose of.

Sat May 13, 2017 5:57 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

I am on about the optimal speed to generate the most electricity. Yes it will turn the blades ashen the wind blows gently but it won't produce much. Because it turns easy that also means they can go to quick also