Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Global warming a lie hmmmm

Sat May 13, 2017 6:04 am

CF14-SE14 wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
CF14-SE14 wrote:Surely whether you believe in climate change or not you must believe that using less fossil fuel compared to green energy is a good thing.
Regardless of pollution, which in this country is higher than in decades/and in others is higher than ever before with asthma and child deaths at unprecedented levels, fossil fuels aren't infinite and within the next few decades will increase in cost drastically and then run out completely, so either way shouldn't we be looking at alternatives? The greener and more sustainable the better in my opinion.

Yes I agree but only if it is beneficial, profitable and it works like they say. I also agree that research is vital but to be told that these wind turbines is the answer is bull shit.
I believe the average wind turbine has the maximum output of 1MW, now this is what we are told. What we are not told the wind has to be at an exact speed for maximum output. Let's just say that is 25mph (example I don't know what the optimum speed is) how often does the wind blow at 25 mph ? Now if it blows to hard these things catch fire, and also if they need to be slowed down well that takes power from somewhere. Then if the wind doesn't blow your lights won't glow. But we are told these will produce 1MW of power all the time.
Solar has a place but look at the space required to produce not much power. There is tidal but ask the Canadians and they will tell you it ain't all what it's cracked up to be.
But research should continue because all the above may have a place in the future. We should be using shale gas as well as clean coal and Nuclear.

Yeah I agree with wind power is pretty useless, tidal has to be the way, we know exactly when the tide come in, and even if it's expensive as a set up it's worth it. Nuclear is expensive as a set up and we don't even know how expensive to clean up and dispose of.

The New generation of reactors are designed with decommissioning in mind. The old ones I agree is different as they were new and it hadn't been done before. But the NDA are learning and some of the reactors that have come off line in the last twenty odd years have been decommissioned.
The fuel is easily removed, the cooling ponds though messy are now getting easier. The core will stay and naturally decay as it's the safest place by far and contained. It can then safely be dismantled in the future. It isn't leaving a legacy it's leaving a job for many and it will be done robotically.