Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Joe Bennett

Tue May 09, 2017 5:54 am

Joe Bennett impresses

By Chris Wathan

9th May 2017

Joe Bennett had only scored three league goals in his career before this end of season afternoon out. To be fair to the full-back, he finished like a gnarled veteran forward when he was teed up by Kenneth Zohore. More importantly, Bennett is looking like he's ready to repay the faith of his manager.

Warnock is adamant that the Bluebirds have a real talent in the former Boro and Aston Villa man and there is reason to believe he is right. He is far from the defender that looked over nervously to the bench on Warnock's first outing, so scared of making a mistake. He's not the finished article, but he is sure to form a key part of the regular defence next year.

And on this showing, he can really add to attacking options too.

Re: Joe Bennett

Tue May 09, 2017 8:25 am

When we signed him from Aston Villa my mates that support them were divided. Some said he was a player that could be a total bargain for us. Others said he was far from consistent and too attacking for a full back. He's gone from strength-to-strength but I'm still not sold on him. However, is there someone out there that's better that we could get in this summer? I've always liked that Knudsen from Ipswich but I doubt they'd let him go. Anyone else would be too expensive. Besides, if Bennett keeps on improving at this rate then he'll be one of the best left backs in the Championship.

Tue May 09, 2017 11:36 am

Zabier wrote:When we signed him from Aston Villa my mates that support them were divided. Some said he was a player that could be a total bargain for us. Others said he was far from consistent and too attacking for a full back. He's gone from strength-to-strength but I'm still not sold on him. However, is there someone out there that's better that we could get in this summer? I've always liked that Knudsen from Ipswich but I doubt they'd let him go. Anyone else would be too expensive. Besides, if Bennett keeps on improving at this rate then he'll be one of the best left backs in the Championship.

I think we're more than well equipped in the full back areas personally. Like you said if bennet can keep improving I believe he could be one of the best full backs we've had in recent history.

Tue May 09, 2017 12:32 pm

Bar the Fulham game (which I think many people still hold on to as their overall opinion on him) he has been fantastic and it's refreshing to see a full back that can actually go forward confidently and actually pin opposition teams full backs back into their own half, we haven't seen that in years... I don't think we have had a full back that is confident and actually cause a threat to teams, no disrespect to Pelts, Richards as they do go forward and defend really well but they never cause a threat going forward but only being an extra man on the flank.

Tue May 09, 2017 2:08 pm

Bennett is another player to benefit from the Warnock factor. The man just knows how to instil confidence into players and bring the best out of them.

Bennett will be on the radar of a few PL clubs by January.

Tue May 09, 2017 4:11 pm

Zabier wrote:When we signed him from Aston Villa my mates that support them were divided. Some said he was a player that could be a total bargain for us. Others said he was far from consistent and too attacking for a full back. He's gone from strength-to-strength but I'm still not sold on him. However, is there someone out there that's better that we could get in this summer? I've always liked that Knudsen from Ipswich but I doubt they'd let him go. Anyone else would be too expensive. Besides, if Bennett keeps on improving at this rate then he'll be one of the best left backs in the Championship.

I heard that Brad Smith, from Bournemouth said he might have to go on loan to the championship if he cant get games there, and he was signed for 6m from Liverpool. that might be worth a punt.

Tue May 09, 2017 4:53 pm

Similar circumstances to a player we signed from villa 10 years ago.

Look how he turned out, he can only get better.