Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff C Player of the Season Linked with move this summer

Tue May 09, 2017 9:21 am

Cardiff C Player of the Season Linked with move this summer

FutbolArena have reported Antalyaspor want to sign Cardiff City's Aron Gunnarsson.

Tuesday 9th May 2017

By Futbol/Arena

The Turkish club want to build on an impressive season and are targeting the Icelandic international.

Gunnarsson is under contract with Cardiff City until June 2018, and the Championship side are now under pressure to extend his current deal beyond this.

Antalyaspor will look to test Cardiff City’s resolve this summer, with claims they are already in talks with the player’s agent about a move in the next window. It’s also been reported Sunderland forward Jermain Defoe is a target for Antalyaspor.

Gunnarsson is the second Cardiff City player to be linked with a move to Turkey following recent reports Galatasaray are chasing defender Bruno Ecuele Manga.

Due to FFP the Turkish giants are looking for a cut price central defender this summer, and with the Gabonese international out of contract at the end of the season the player is an option. It’s been reported Galatasaray are already in talks to sign the Cardiff City defender.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/second-cardif ... ve-summer/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff City star linked with move this summer

Tue May 09, 2017 9:43 am

Interesting one this.To the right offer I think city would listen.What people got to remember is that Warnock as good as he is hasn't got the same attachment to players as the fans.

Tue May 09, 2017 9:45 am

NIGELNIGLE wrote:FutbolArena have reported Antalyaspor want to sign Cardiff City captain Aron Gunnarsson. The Turkish club want to build on an impressive season and are targeting the Icelandic international.

Gunnarsson is under contract with Cardiff City until June 2018, and the Championship side are now under pressure to extend his current deal beyond this.

Antalyaspor will look to test Cardiff City’s resolve this summer, with claims they are already in talks with the player’s agent about a move in the next window. It’s also been reported Sunderland forward Jermain Defoe is a target for Antalyaspor.

Gunnarsson is the second Cardiff City player to be linked with a move to Turkey following recent reports Galatasaray are chasing defender Bruno Ecuele Manga.

Due to FFP the Turkish giants are looking for a cut price central defender this summer, and with the Gabonese international out of contract at the end of the season the player is an option. It’s been reported Galatasaray are already in talks to sign the Cardiff City defender.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/second-cardif ... ve-summer/

Why would anyone in their right minds want to put their family at risk and live in turkey ?

Tue May 09, 2017 9:48 am

Mmm.

Tricky one. He's been great this season certainly but he's also been anonymous in a few games (as have most of them to be honest).

Offers over £2.5m would be good business for the club, especially if used to strengthen the squad.

Think Warnock likes him but is not 100% sure where to play him.

Tue May 09, 2017 3:34 pm

I think Warnock will sell him if the price is right, every player has their price. :ayatollah:

Tue May 09, 2017 3:44 pm

I said a few months ago both our problem children Whitts & Gunnar may need to go this summer. Both are not mobile enough for a 433. And one is not technical enough and the other not physical enough to play the holding role in 4141 or 4231.

I can see him going. Warnock said a few fans favourites may be moving and we assumed Whitts, I feel it may be both.

Tue May 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:Interesting one this.To the right offer I think city would listen.What people got to remember is that Warnock as good as he is hasn't got the same attachment to players as the fans.

Martin, Warnock has stated time and time again Gunnarsson is one of his favourite players and the backbone for his team.

City tried to get rid of Gunnarsson for £2mill last season under two yes men managers who refused to virtually play Gunnarsson, but Warnock wants Gunnarsson :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Aron Gunnarsson won three major awards including player of the season for 2016-17 season :thumbright: :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Proving Russell Slade and Paul Trollope totally wrong and some forum members on here,who kept saying sell.

Tue May 09, 2017 4:17 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:Interesting one this.To the right offer I think city would listen.What people got to remember is that Warnock as good as he is hasn't got the same attachment to players as the fans.

Martin, Warnock has stated time and time again Gunnarsson is one of his favourite players and the backbone for his team.

City tried to get rid of Gunnarsson for £2mill last season, but Warnock wants Gunnarsson :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Aron Gunnarsson won three major awards including player of the season for 2016-17 season :thumbright: :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Proving Russell Slade and Paul Trollope totally wrong and some forum members on here,who kept saying sell.

Do you really believe a word Warnock says to the media ? This is an old pro.
"He's a great lad, Captain of his country,the backbone of the team you know" = I want £xxx millions for him

Tue May 09, 2017 4:21 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

City tried to get rid of Gunnarsson for £2mill last season, but Warnock wants Gunnarsson :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

"He's a great lad, Captain of his country,the backbone of the team you know" = I want £xxx millions for him

Are you saying Warnock is lying by playing Gunnarsson week in week out and then Gunnarsson wins the three major awards :lol:

You don't sell one of your best players if you are building for next season, a promotion push :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Re: Cardiff C Player of the Season Linked with move this sum

Tue May 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Tue May 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

City tried to get rid of Gunnarsson for £2mill last season under two yes men managers who refused to virtually play Gunnarsson, but Warnock wants Gunnarsson :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Completely agree annis.

IMO I think we should make Gunnar captain for next season and move Morrision to Club Captain. Gunnar is the leader we need out on the pitch!

Hope we dont let him go - I dont think warnock will :ayatollah:

Tue May 09, 2017 6:18 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I'd love to keep him but if he was sold it wouldn't make Warnock a liar.Things change quickly in football and if he gets the chance to trade up then why not.

Tue May 09, 2017 6:43 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Are you saying Warnock is lying by playing Gunnarsson week in week out and then Gunnarsson wins the three major awards :lol:

You don't sell one of your best players if you are building for next season, a promotion push :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Unless the replacement is better.

Gunnarson was the best we had when trying to play "stay in the division" football. As you said he has played nearly every time when available, who says that's what we need next year. The wide forwards produced 4 goals and next to FA assists, do we need a more imaginative passer in midfield ?

Ralls can run around all day, score more goals and get more assists and is younger and probably cheaper. Perhaps Warnock has found his replacement

Wez - Is his house still up for sale ?

Tue May 09, 2017 6:46 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Gunnarson was the best we had when trying to play "stay in the division" football. As you said he has played nearly every time when available, who says that's what we need next year. The wide forwards produced 4 goals and next to FA assists, do we need a more imaginative passer in midfield ?

Ralls can run around all day, score more goals and get more assists and is younger and probably cheaper. Perhaps Warnock has found his replacement

So i was told a couple weeks back havnt heard anything yet

Tue May 09, 2017 6:58 pm

This is likely to be start of silly season silly talk. Yes I can imagine many clubs being interested in Gunnarsson after his towering performances this season for both club and country. And yes every player has his price.

However, there are a few players Warnock will have begun planning his new team around and I'm pretty sure Sir Gunnar is one of them. Unless it's silly money I believe Warnock will keep his mainstays and build upon them.

Tue May 09, 2017 7:24 pm

No chance going there. I would want minimum 5m for him

Tue May 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Reply from Facebook

Rob Jones
Surely we've got to keep Gunnar if we want to push for promotion. Be hard to replace him without spending big.

Tue May 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Reply on Facebook

Lyndon Cross
Don't let him go if you want to do anything make him captain

Tue May 09, 2017 8:18 pm

wez1927 wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

So i was told a couple weeks back havnt heard anything yet

Ca'nt you pop around to have a look if there's a for sale sign still up. :thumbup:

Tue May 09, 2017 9:49 pm

Warnock has said many times how highly he rated Gunnar however I have no doubt if Warnock think he can get better or use the money better he will be gone in a flash. If Warnock thinks he can replace Gunner and get some other funds to use for attacking players he will and id have full faith in him doing so.

Wed May 10, 2017 5:13 am

Warnock rates gunnarsson and gunnars himself is enjoying life in south Wales. I think this is a non story imo.

Wed May 10, 2017 8:24 am

Why on earth would we want to get rid of our best player. How much would it cost to replace a player like Gunners.

Wed May 10, 2017 9:54 am

warnock has said a number of times that he might have to sell someone whos been key to get the funds he needs to fill out the squad with players that are needed, i cant see him selling gunnar but if he did it wouldnt be that big a surprise. at the end of the day we are cardiff city everyone has a price

Wed May 10, 2017 10:12 am

Reza wrote:warnock has said a number of times that he might have to sell someone whos been key to get the funds he needs to fill out the squad with players that are needed, i cant see him selling gunnar but if he did it wouldnt be that big a surprise. at the end of the day we are cardiff city everyone has a price

I was wondering when someone would point this out. NW has stated a number of times that there could be surprise departures over and above the obvious ones (Noone/Pilkington).

He is a man with many contacts in the game so if he could sell Gunnar for £2.5m and replace him with a player who is cheaper but just as good then it will be done and any money made could be used elsewhere in the squad.

Wed May 10, 2017 11:54 am

While it’s obvious that Warnock rates Gunnar it doesn’t mean he is a certain to stay. If we get 2.5m for Gunnar and Warnock thinks he can get a player equal or maybe even better than him for say 1/1.5m and then have an extra 1m to play wit then he will. Gunnar type players are more frequent than say a quality striker so if those funds help then of course Warnock will let him go.

We still have a budget so if letting your better players go means strengthening the squad a whole then I fully support Warnocks decision. Although I like Gunnar I still think to many games pass him by, if we are struggling near the bottom of the league he is the first name on the teamsheet, if we are pushing for promotion im not so sure.

Wed May 10, 2017 11:58 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Reza wrote:warnock has said a number of times that he might have to sell someone whos been key to get the funds he needs to fill out the squad with players that are needed, i cant see him selling gunnar but if he did it wouldnt be that big a surprise. at the end of the day we are cardiff city everyone has a price

I was wondering when someone would point this out. NW has stated a number of times that there could be surprise departures over and above the obvious ones (Noone/Pilkington).

He is a man with many contacts in the game so if he could sell Gunnar for £2.5m and replace him with a player who is cheaper but just as good then it will be done and any money made could be used elsewhere in the squad.

I think if he can sell Joe mason for 4m then the highly regarded Gunnar son should be sold for at least, if not more than that.

Wed May 10, 2017 12:45 pm

nubbsy wrote:

I think if he can sell Joe mason for 4m then the highly regarded Gunnar son should be sold for at least, if not more than that.

mason went before warnock came here tho,lets be honest we ripped wolves off selling him for that much, im hoping we keep him but lets be honest a destroyer isnt as hard to find as someone who'll create or score goals

Wed May 10, 2017 1:24 pm

Reza wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

mason went before warnock came here tho,lets be honest we ripped wolves off selling him for that much, im hoping we keep him but lets be honest a destroyer isnt as hard to find as someone who'll create or score goals

Yes we did. But my point is just that I think he's worth more than 2.5m and I don't think we'd let him go for that either. Just my opinion.