Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CITY SHOULD CHASE THIS KEEPER...

Tue May 09, 2017 9:24 am

FORGET ETHERIDGE: CARDIFF CITY SERIOUSLY SHOULD PURSUE A DEAL FOR THIS GOALKEEPER INSTEAD
Written by: Jay Williams

When Neil Warnock took over as Cardiff City manager, they had been left in a relegation battle by Paul Trollope.

However, their worries were soon resolved as Warnock led a charge up the table to the safety of mid-table.

A 12th place finish is testament to just how good a job Warnock has done with limited resources and the Bluebirds fans will be hoping that he can continue to improve and lead a promotion charge next season.

Neil Warnock will be desperate to get his transfer business done this summer so that he can put his personal stamp on this squad and the experienced Championship gaffer will definitely be signing at least one goalkeeper this summer.

His current number one is Allan McGregor, who will return to Hull and Warnock has confirmed that they are priced out of a permanent deal for the Scotland international.

The second choice is Brian Murphy, who is a reasonable choice as back-up but not much more.

The third choice is Ben Amos, who will return to Bolton after a disappointing loan spell at Cardiff.

Cardiff have been linked with a swoop for Walsall stopper Neil Etheridge, who is likely to be available on a free despite being offered a new deal with the Saddlers.

However, Cardiff should instead swoop for Scunthorpe goalkeeper Luke Daniels, who will also be available on a free.

The 29-year-old is likely to leave the Iron after they failed to win promotion via the play-offs and he is certainly good enough for Championship football.

The former West Brom academy graduate deserves a chance in the second tier of English football after impressing over the past couple of seasons with Scunthorpe.

Re: CITY SHOULD CHASE THIS KEEPER...

Tue May 09, 2017 9:31 am

Is the author a relation. :lol: Still, I suppose we'll have plenty of names thrown at us in the next few weeks,doubtless one or two will stick.

Tue May 09, 2017 9:41 am

If we are in the market for free keepers - why not Ruddy who has been released by Norwich.

At the very least it would be a chance to use the old saying 'Ruddy goalkeeper!' as the third goal goes in!.

Tue May 09, 2017 9:43 am

If we are going to be looking at this standard of keeper then we should make Murphy our first choice goalie.

He's done nothing wrong this season when called upon and personally I felt a lot more comfortable with him in goals than I did with McGregor.

Tue May 09, 2017 9:44 am

Luke Daniels is a decent keeper and I think he would have done better for the last 2 goals conceded by Anyon in play off semi but I think Murphy should be given a chance next season, he looks upto the mark.

Tue May 09, 2017 9:49 am

Sven wrote:FORGET ETHERIDGE: CARDIFF CITY SERIOUSLY SHOULD PURSUE A DEAL FOR THIS GOALKEEPER INSTEAD
Written by: Jay Williams

When Neil Warnock took over as Cardiff City manager, they had been left in a relegation battle by Paul Trollope.

However, their worries were soon resolved as Warnock led a charge up the table to the safety of mid-table.

A 12th place finish is testament to just how good a job Warnock has done with limited resources and the Bluebirds fans will be hoping that he can continue to improve and lead a promotion charge next season.

Neil Warnock will be desperate to get his transfer business done this summer so that he can put his personal stamp on this squad and the experienced Championship gaffer will definitely be signing at least one goalkeeper this summer.

His current number one is Allan McGregor, who will return to Hull and Warnock has confirmed that they are priced out of a permanent deal for the Scotland international.

The second choice is Brian Murphy, who is a reasonable choice as back-up but not much more.

The third choice is Ben Amos, who will return to Bolton after a disappointing loan spell at Cardiff.

Cardiff have been linked with a swoop for Walsall stopper Neil Etheridge, who is likely to be available on a free despite being offered a new deal with the Saddlers.

However, Cardiff should instead swoop for Scunthorpe goalkeeper Luke Daniels, who will also be available on a free.

The 29-year-old is likely to leave the Iron after they failed to win promotion via the play-offs and he is certainly good enough for Championship football.

The former West Brom academy graduate deserves a chance in the second tier of English football after impressing over the past couple of seasons with Scunthorpe.

It was alluded to yesterday that 'Silly Season' was fast approaching and lots of names would be thrown into the mix, but the information was out there and it was brought to the Forum's attention

Whilst Daniels is clearly a decent keeper and would fit into the wage structure here, the author has clearly just voiced an opinion on the possibility

Will it happen? I doubt it, but outside the manager's circle of friends who knows right now? ;) :ayatollah:

Tue May 09, 2017 10:15 am

Bloody hell this sort of click bait reporting is getting beyond.

I've only just got used to websites using taglines like, "You'll never guess who married a donkey" or "21 celebrities who have been in jail.... you'll be amazed by number 15"

Jay Williams has taken it to the Nth degree. 11 paragraphs and the goalies name doesn't pop up until paragraph 9. Before that we get a Cardiff goalie synopsis for the season.

At my age I haven't got time to read novella's. It's not as if it's a rumour, just one guy and his opinion.

Rant over.

Tue May 09, 2017 10:36 am

I expect the number pf players who will be linked with us over the next couple of months will be greater than this season's average attendance. Perhaps we should run a sweepstake guessing how many names we will be signing before the start of next season, I'll go with nineteen thousand.

Tue May 09, 2017 10:37 am

Wayne S wrote:Bloody hell this sort of click bait reporting is getting beyond.

I've only just got used to websites using taglines like, "You'll never guess who married a donkey" or "21 celebrities who have been in jail.... you'll be amazed by number 15"

Jay Williams has taken it to the Nth degree. 11 paragraphs and the goalies name doesn't pop up until paragraph 9. Before that we get a Cardiff goalie synopsis for the season.

At my age I haven't got time to read novella's. It's not as if it's a rumour, just one guy and his opinion.

Rant over.

Pretty much sums up this board at times.If it ain't like the above then its one story reported in nine different ways.Remember when they used to merge posters threads if it was the same subject.Christ if they did that now there'd be only a couple of stickies. :lol:

Tue May 09, 2017 5:31 pm

For all its worth I agree he's a quality keeper and has been linked with many clubs,people forget Marshall came from a relegated Norwich just cos a keeper is in league one doesn't mean he's a bad keeper just plays behind a poorer team

Tue May 09, 2017 8:04 pm

davids wrote:If we are going to be looking at this standard of keeper then we should make Murphy our first choice goalie.

He's done nothing wrong this season when called upon and personally I felt a lot more comfortable with him in goals than I did with McGregor.
I agree. We should give him a chance. I've seen a lot worse and could save us a fortune

Tue May 09, 2017 8:11 pm

rhiwbinablue wrote:If we are in the market for free keepers - why not Ruddy who has been released by Norwich.

At the very least it would be a chance to use the old saying 'Ruddy goalkeeper!' as the third goal goes in!.

If it was Ruddy who was in goals, when they played down here, then yes please. We lobbed the ball into their box all game and their keeper dealt with it easily.