Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" CARDIFF CITY'S 2016/17 SEASON - IN QUOTES "

Tue May 09, 2017 12:03 pm

" CARDIFF CITY'S 2016/17 SEASON - IN QUOTES "

Now that the season has ended, here are some quotes from posters on here from certain moments over the season.

Tuesday 9th May 2017

Last summer, hopes were high that Cardiff City would have a good season. This soon changed. The majority of fans on here were disappointed with the news that Paul Trollope would replace Russell Slade as Cardiff City manager. Others said he should be supported by the fans if he was going to be a success.

BlueMagic: Obviously gone for the easiest cheapest and poorest option again. Decisions like this is what makes or breaks a club. Looks like we are staying broke.

Blackwood_Bluebird: It's a terrible appointment! He's going to be away for all of June on international duty! Hardly ideal preparation to start building your squad!

Fusilier23: Give the guy a chance before condemning his appointment. Who did you really think we were going to get?

RageJon: Not my first pick but I'll back him all the same until he gives a reason otherwise.

fred keenor: This will certainly not end well.

It was a difficult summer for Trollope to build the squad, as he was away for a while in France with the Wales squad. He brought in Frederic Gounongbe, who not many had heard of. He also brought in several Welsh players, which pleased fans – including Emyr Huws and ex-Swansea defender Jazz Richards. As it came towards deadline day, the majority of fans were delighted with the signing of Rickie Lambert.

SWilliams: I really hope this one comes off. Rickie Lambert at 44 would be better than either Fred or Zohore.

Rydogsccfc: Our biggest signing in the championship since Bellamy I think.

Stokebluebird: Happy with this, must be better than what I have seen so far. Welcome Rickie.

nubbsy: I'm trying not to get my hopes up because I fear negotiations will break down over money. But if it's true I'd be over the moon with this!

KWest: This is a very ambitious signing from us. Yes, he's not the player he was maybe two or three years ago, but he's still a player with a strong pedigree and I'll take him over everything we've got right now. Simply put, he would not have missed the poachers chances that our other players have missed this year

worcester_ccfc: He would be a good signing. At least he's a Goalscorer.

As the season started, things weren’t going to plan for Paul Trollope and his new system. The team picked up just eight points in their first eleven games. Cardiff City were second from bottom of the Championship, and already twelve points off their pre-season target of a top six finish.

On October 4th 2016, Paul Trollope was sacked as Cardiff City manager. Fans were relieved at this decision, as it was generally accepted that the former Bristol Rovers boss wasn’t the man to take the club forward after only a short period of time.

But who would replace him? Within minutes there was already an early favourite. There was one man’s name on all the media’s lips. Hours after the news of the vacancy being available, SkyBet made this man the 1/10 favourite.

On October 5th 2016, Neil Warnock was appointed Cardiff City manager until the end of the season. He was tasked with keeping the Bluebirds safe from relegation, as he did with Rotherham United in the 2015/16 season. The fans were delighted with this appointment.

Stringfellow: Great news if true, not a long term project but what we need right now. He will have them up for the fight if nothing else, if they don't want a fight then there's the door.

GrangeEndStar: This has to happen. I'm excited already and I reckon it will also make a huge difference in bringing fans back. The sort of manager that will make an immediate impact and a top bloke too.

KWest: 2 years late, but superb appointment if it comes off.

wez1927: Wish he was offered it years ago

Steve Zodiak: If he is appointed, I am sure that we will have every chance of avoiding relegation, and maybe even a place somewhere just below mid table.

BlueMagic: Great appointment and credit to the club for this and all the tan haters and people who knock the club all the time should give the credit to them they deserve too.

Sven: If this is confirmed, then I think it is as good an appointment as could be made. Colin is a proven manager who not only knows how to set up his team but knows how to motivate them too!

As we know, Warnock would do a fantastic job and guide the team to 12th place in the Championship – a brilliant achievement, when you consider where we were when he took on the job.

I think we can all look forward to next season now and many obviously agree, as the following quotes prove – after Warnock renewed his contract:

Forever Blue: That's what we want to hear. Brilliant

Pulisnewport: Best news I've heard in months!

Plymuff Bloobird: Brilliant news

Steve Zodiak: I said we had no chance of a top 6 finish at the start of this season. With Warnock here and a bit of backing, I think we have a genuine chance of at least a play off place next season, and possibly even better. This team is not far from being a good side right now, a little bit more strength in key areas and who knows what may be possible.

GrangeEndStar: Can't wish for more than that, great news.

nubbsy: Exactly what we wanted to hear

KorovaMilkbar1927: Best news since Trollope getting sacked

Rydogsccfc: Fantastic news best signing this club has made for many a year keep up the good work Neil.

Thomas0246: Just the news the city needed. Onwards and upwards.

City Slicker: Wonderful news

1980s Bluebird: I may even get a season ticket for next season

Tony Blue Williams: For the first time in 4 years the club seems to be heading in the right direction and no-one should be allowed to derail it.

Cantonian: Fantastic news all round.

DandoCCFC: Fantastic news and never really in doubt.