Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Striker ‘what was really bad’ about treatment at Cardiff

Wed May 10, 2017 6:19 pm

If only he had had his chance under Warnock...

Guido Burgstaller talks to Sport Bild about his time at City

Screen-Shot-2017-05-10-at-12.23.32-640x416.png

Striker explains ‘what was really bad’ about treatment at Cardiff City, reveals what actually happened

Scoring in the first ten minutes of his full debut for Cardiff City, Guido Burgstaller probably thought things were getting off to a good start. Signing for Cardiff from Rapid Wien, the striker believed the move to Wales to be a good step in his career.

Things quickly went very wrong indeed. Burgstaller was ostracised from the first team squad and told to stay away from Cardiff’s senior players. Without the reasoning being explained to him, the footballer was cast adrift at a club he’d been led to believe wanted him.

Speaking to German magazine Sport Bild, Burgstaller was asked about his nightmare at Cardiff.

“After four weeks I was not allowed to play, or even to train with the professionals. In the end, I even had to empty my locker in the dressing and move to the amateurs. I have not been guilty of anything. What was really bad: I wasn’t even told why I did not get a chance. I was only informed by letter that I couldn’t train and play.”

Burgstaller left Cardiff for FC Nürnberg and a great scoring record there saw him get a move to Schalke in January. With 8 goals and 2 assists in 16 Bundesliga games for Schalke, the 28 year old has certainly fought his way back.

As things are now, Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock wouldn’t have a chance of signing a player like Burgstaller, with such good Bundesliga goalscoring form.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Striker explains ‘what was really bad’ about treatment C

Wed May 10, 2017 6:57 pm

I have heard many similar stories about other players, when City wanted them gone, it did not matter if they were any good during Slades/Trollope's time, they had to be pushed out to cut the wages.

As I said during those times, the truth always comes out in the end.

Re: Striker explains ‘what was really bad’ about treatment C

Wed May 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Bundesliga star opens up on ‘really bad’ treatment at Cardiff City

By Jordon Jones

Wednesday 10th May 2017

FC Schalke forward Guido Burgstaller has revealed that he felt he was poorly treated during his time at Cardiff City.

Speaking to German newspaper Sport Bild, Burgstaller said that the club informed him by letter that he was not to play or train with the first team and was made to train with the youth players.

“After four weeks I was not allowed to play, or even to train with the professionals. In the end, I even had to empty my locker in the dressing and move to the amateurs. I have not been guilty of anything. What was really bad: I wasn’t even told why I did not get a chance. I was only informed by letter that I couldn’t train and play.”

The Austrian international joined Cardiff City back in 2014 from Rapid Wien where he scored 24 goals in 85 appearances.

The 28 year-old made just three appearances for Cardiff in the Championship as well as two apperances in the League Cup for the Bluebirds, where he scored once against Coventry.

Upon joining Cardiff City, he stated how happy he was to join the club and was delighted to be given the chance to play in England when speaking to the BBC.

“My decision to join Cardiff City was never in question when the club first contacted me,” said Burgstaller.

“It has always been a dream for me to play in this country.

“I’ve followed Cardiff in the Premier League last season and I’m very proud and honoured to be given the chance to wear the Cardiff City jersey – I’m a big admirer of the passion of the fans.”

Unfortunately for Cardiff City fans, since Burgstaller departed the club in January after his contract was terminated in January and he hasn’t looked back since.

A total of 33 goals in 63 appearances over the course of three seasons at Nurnberg earned him a move to Bundesliga giants FC Schalke back in january, where he has scored eight goals in 15 appearances, including two in the Europa League.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Striker ‘what was really bad’ about treatment at Cardiff

Wed May 10, 2017 7:31 pm

FFS unbelievable :o

Wed May 10, 2017 7:38 pm

Sadly our club went through hell for a while hopefully under Warnock the club will improve but there will always be players who will moan if they are not wanted but so many players were signed under Ole that were not needed on big wages I'm sure some were treated badly

Wed May 10, 2017 9:05 pm

He was never really given a chance by Ole either

Thu May 11, 2017 9:16 am

The Cardiff City reject who is tearing up the Bundesliga has revealed he was completely banished by Bluebirds

By Ian Miltchelmore

Thursday 11th May 2017

Cardiff City reject Guido Burgstaller has revealed how he was banished from the Bluebirds' first team training sessions before deciding to leave the club after just half a season in the Welsh capital.

The Austrian forward joined Cardiff from Rapid Vienna on a three-year deal in the 2014 summer transfer window but failed to impress during an ill-fated stint with the Bluebirds that saw him score just one goal in five appearances for the club.

Burgstaller joined German outfit Nuremburg in January 2015, just seven months after making the move to south Wales and has since gone on to join Schalke 04.

And the 28-year-old frontman has revealed how his torrid time in the Welsh capital left him with no choice but to ply his trade elsewhere.

"After four weeks I was not allowed to play, not even to train with the pros, and I even had to clear my locker in the cabin and train with the amateurs," the Austrian told Sport Bild .

"But I was not to blame for anything. I was not even told why I did not get a chance, I was only informed by letter that I cannot train and play.

"Thank goodness, I went to Nuremberg after half a year and they gave me a chance."

The striker scored three times in nine appearances for Nuremburg in the 2015-16 and chalked up 14 goals in 18 matches for the club in the first half of the 2016-17 campaign before sealing a move to Schalke in the January transfer window.

Burgstaller has continued his stunning form at Schalke, bagging 11 goals in 23 games for the club.

Thu May 11, 2017 10:13 am

The real reason, it was costing too much money, to put his name on the back of his shirt ;)

Thu May 11, 2017 11:16 am

From what I remember this goes back to the cost cutting which was implemented once it became obvious we were not going to make an instant return to the PL during the 2014/15 season.

I remember Slade saying that he was going to work with a core squad of 24ish players and the rest were basically not wanted which included Guido Burgstaller as the wage bill had to be brought down.

I suppose the argument could be why wasn't GB included in the 24?

That said I don't remember any big outcry when he left and as we still had a transfer embargo for breaching FFP then it shows that the club took the right decision to discard players who were no longer needed.

Thu May 11, 2017 11:23 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:From what I remember this goes back to the cost cutting which was implemented once it became obvious we were not going to make an instant return to the PL during the 2014/15 season.

I remember Slade saying that he was going to work with a core squad of 24ish players and the rest were basically not wanted which included Guido Burgstaller as the wage bill had to be brought down.

That said I don't remember any big outcry when he left and as we still had a transfer embargo for breaching FFP then it shows that the club took the right decision to discard players who were no longer needed.

A terrible way to treat people and it will be interesting when it is finally confirmed 'who' was making those decisions (to date we only have some pretty educated guesses! LOL :laughing6: ) and exactly how compliant Russell Slade was, i.e. did he actually put up any 'fight' for the players he might have wanted? :)

Thu May 11, 2017 11:32 am

We aren't the only club in the world to drop players to play in the reserves to try and force them out. I don't like it but it happens.

Thu May 11, 2017 11:37 am

There are always two sides to every story we don't know what his attitude was like

Thu May 11, 2017 11:52 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:From what I remember this goes back to the cost cutting which was implemented once it became obvious we were not going to make an instant return to the PL during the 2014/15 season.

a period with lots of very strange stuff going on.
personally 3 defeats in first 7, all to clubs youd expect to be challenging wasnt the end of the world.
Bournemouth who won the league that season were also on 8pts having lost to 3 weaker teams than we had lost to at the time of oles departure.

Thu May 11, 2017 2:36 pm

dogfound wrote:

personally 3 defeats in first 7, all to clubs youd expect to be challenging wasnt the end of the world.
Bournemouth who won the league that season were also on 8pts having lost to 3 weaker teams than we had lost to at the time of oles departure.

So are you saying we should have stuck with OGS?

Thu May 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Sven wrote:

A terrible way to treat people and it will be interesting when it is finally confirmed 'who' was making those decisions (to date we only have some pretty educated guesses! LOL :laughing6: ) and exactly how compliant Russell Slade was, i.e. did he actually put up any 'fight' for the players he might have wanted? :)

I don't deny it is not a nice way to treat people but considering the money these players earn I find myself not having too much sympathy. After all people get mistreated in the workplace all the time and often they only earn the Minimum Wage.

As Luke said above this kind of thing happens at every club and don't forget players also take advantage of the club, think Rickie Lambert.

I have no doubt Russell Slade was 100% compliant which is no surprise because his boss told him what to do, just like any other workplace.

From my perspective I want what is best for CCFC. If that means 'upsetting' a player then so be it.

Thu May 11, 2017 3:35 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
dogfound wrote:

So are you saying we should have stuck with OGS?

i really dont know tbh. he took on a team in a relegation battle { maybe sticking with MM would have kept us up,maybe not .? }. then having gone down there was a huge turn around with players leaving to maintain their prem status and replacements coming in. not an easy trick lose 4 or 5 of your best players and instantly replace them. on other hand i watched what you watched, there were times i thought he had cracked it but mostly team selection and tactics looked chaotic.
was mystified at who they replaced him with, then sort of understood the squad reduction and pay offs , then was mystified again as Slade brought in 7 to replace those leaving. very very strange period.

Thu May 11, 2017 5:27 pm

I haven't been that much in the last few years, but I've never even heard of him!

Thu May 11, 2017 5:37 pm

Did not Slade speak to the group of players and asked who wanted to stay and fight for a place,quite a few of the players split at that point , ie the ones who wanted away.