Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Welsh midfielder Marley Watkins? '

Fri May 12, 2017 1:57 pm

Welsh midfielder Marley Watkins says goodbye to Barnsley amid Cardiff City links

By Chris Wathan

Friday 12th May 2017

Outgoing Barnsley midfielder Marley Watkins has paid emotional tribute to the club's supporters, amid interest from several Championship clubs including Cardiff City.

Watkins, who has caught the eye for the Tykes this season, took to social media to bid farewell to the Barnsley faithful with his Oakwell contract set to expire this summer.

His contract situation has triggered interest from a number of clubs, with Bristol City, Burnley, Wolves, Norwich City and Celtic all reportedly interested in the wide man.

The Welsh qualified winger hit 10 goals for Paul Heckingbottom's side during a season in which the Tykes exceeded expectations.

He penned his goodbye to the Barnsley fans on Twitter, writing: "To the Barnsley faithful, it's been an absolute pleasure giving 100% for the club every week.

"What a journey, from the bottom of League One to the Champ in just over a year. Grateful to all the players, the staff and to Hecky. Wish them all the best for the future.

"Today I say goodbye to the Reds as a player, but I'll always be a fan. There are no better fans in the conty. One of my favourite memories of you is the plant pot on his head song! Your passion is top draw and it was a joy to play in front of you. Thanks for everything #YouReds, Marley."

And the former Swansea City youth player will now seemingly have his pick of clubs with no shortage of interest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Welsh midfielder Marley Watkins? '

Fri May 12, 2017 10:42 pm

One thing with these rumours already but if Warnock is interested we stand every chance of bringing in the players he wants which is one thing I think we missed over the years since MM.. like we have attracted the likes of Jones and Lambert over recent years but that was down to money more than wanting to play for a manager/club.

Sat May 13, 2017 8:44 am

DandoCCFC wrote:One thing with these rumours already but if Warnock is interested we stand every chance of bringing in the players he wants which is one thing I think we missed over the years since MM.. like we have attracted the likes of Jones and Lambert over recent years but that was down to money more than wanting to play for a manager/club.

I'm assuming he's an attacking midfielder,something we desperately need

Sat May 13, 2017 9:49 am

Sounds like a proper fans player, gives 100%, runs his nuts off and chips in with a decent amount of goals. Wouldn't be disappointed if he was brought in.

Sat May 13, 2017 9:54 am

He has been very good this season

Sat May 13, 2017 11:49 am

This is the player who left Peltier & Manga for dead to set up the winning goal for Barnsley in the 4-3 defeat. Looked quick and picked their player out really well to set that goal up.

Better than Khadeem Harris in my opinion and with 6 of his 7 assists from open play just the type of player we need.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: