Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Scott Malone the exit door? '

Mon May 15, 2017 9:19 am

Were Cardiff City right to show Scott Malone the exit door for Jazz Richards last summer?

By Jamie Kemble

Monday 15th May 2017

Cardiff City traded Scott Malone for Welsh international Jazz Richards last summer, but were they right to do so?

It’s safe to say Malone has gone on to bigger and better things since leaving Cardiff in the summer and he’s now enjoying the Championship play-offs with an impressive Fulham side.

He was even named in the EFL Team of the Year after a terrific season as left-back at Craven Cottage.

It’s something many Cardiff fans wouldn’t have seen coming with the majority being highly critical of his performances in a Bluebirds shirt.

However, the 26-year-old did show glimpses of class during his time in South Wales, even if he wasn’t reaching the heights he is now.

A pin-point cross onto the head of Kenwyne Jones on a bobbly pitch at Sheffield Wednesday springs to mind – one of his more memorable contributions.

And he has shown much more of that since joining Fulham, becoming hugely important this season with his forward runs creating a whole host of goals, including an excellent team goal in the 1-1 draw with Reading in the play-offs on the weekend, a goal owed to the left-back’s endeavour.

It’s that endeavour that Cardiff missed out on while he was with the Bluebirds and it was his lack of commitment which lead to him being a disliked figure among the Cardiff faithful.

You just couldn’t see him turning a corner with the fans, leading to his departure with Paul Trollope offering him as a swap for Welsh international Jazz Richards.

A player who struggled early on though injury and failure to hit the ground running, but he’s improved steadily under Neil Warnock.

Richards has since become a key part of the Bluebirds’ back-line and while it remains to be seen whether he has the defensive game to be involved regularly in a promotion push, he hasn’t done himself any harm this season.

There’s no doubt that from this season’s evidence, Fulham have had the better end of the swap deal.

However, Jazz Richards hasn’t disappointed since his move back to South Wales and it’s not a deal the club will be regretting just yet.

Scott Malone was a very decent player on a technical level for the Bluebirds, but he certainly didn’t show the endeavour and commitment he has under Slavisa Jokanovic during his spell with Cardiff.

A lack of desire is unforgivable as far as Cardiff fans are concerned, and that coupled with the fact they share a real identity with a Welsh international in Jazz Richards means they will seldom regret the business done by their club last summer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Scott Malone the exit door? '

Mon May 15, 2017 12:57 pm

I never rated him and still don't. Yes he has a flash of brilliance now and again but I witnessed him ducking tackles on few occasions and that's unforgivable.

His form is probably more due to being raised up by the better quality in the Fulham squad than his own personal development.

I like Jazz Richards and when you compare him to Malone like for like (i.e. playing in our team) their is no doubt Richards is the better player (IMO).

Mon May 15, 2017 3:10 pm

Joe Bennett is a good enough replacement and has already scored more goals than Malone did for us.

Mon May 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I never rated him and still don't. Yes he has a flash of brilliance now and again but I witnessed him ducking tackles on few occasions and that's unforgivable.

His form is probably more due to being raised up by the better quality in the Fulham squad than his own personal development.

I like Jazz Richards and when you compare him to Malone like for like (i.e. playing in our team) their is no doubt Richards is the better player (IMO).

I agree never rated him either totally agree with above post can't belive he even made it as a professional footballer had a shocker against Spurs in the fa cup even the mouse on talksport said the same

Mon May 15, 2017 4:45 pm

He was better than Richards was who I don't rate but we needed a right back at the time... plus now we have Bennett who I prefer.

Mon May 15, 2017 5:17 pm

I quite liked Malone for us. I thought he did ok and have had a good season. Problem with malone was he was slades 1st signing so was always on a hiding for nothing. Think he may of flourished under Warnock as fans would of been more supportive of him.
Although I will say jazz has been great lately and Bennett superb

Mon May 15, 2017 6:52 pm

50/50% I mean we could've kept Scott Malone I still think he is a bit like Declan John both have the pace and could be effective during the matches, but this means to maybe experiment with Declan John and Scott Malone, Personally I would off had Declan and Malone on the wing, just to try it out with Jazz Richards and Joe Bennett Left back and right back covering Declan and Scott Malone :bluebird:

Mon May 15, 2017 9:02 pm

I thought we lost out in that deal and still do. Malone didn't want to go his family loved it in Cardiff it was trollops great plan that failed .

Many of the defence failed us last season and this season too I felt supporters gave Malone a hard time he seemed to get the blame for mistakes that was made by others and was unfair.

I hope Jazz does well and have a good season next season as Fulham laughed at us on this deal so far as Jazz couldn't get in their team and has a very mixed season with us

Mon May 15, 2017 9:35 pm

I liked malone when he was with us but I think Richards has come on leaps and bounds since warnock came in

Mon May 15, 2017 9:53 pm

Were DORTMUND Wrong not to sign him before we did ???? ;)

Mon May 15, 2017 11:06 pm

Imo should have kept him

Mon May 15, 2017 11:28 pm

Rydogsccfc wrote:Joe Bennett is a good enough replacement and has already scored more goals than Malone did for us.

But created 2nd most chances and goals in our squad behind Whitts.

Tue May 16, 2017 8:42 am

Sam ReaN wrote:50/50% I mean we could've kept Scott Malone I still think he is a bit like Declan John both have the pace and could be effective during the matches, but this means to maybe experiment with Declan John and Scott Malone, Personally I would off had Declan and Malone on the wing, just to try it out with Jazz Richards and Joe Bennett Left back and right back covering Declan and Scott Malone :bluebird:

Declan and Malone on the wing? Very creative but has all the hallmarks of a Paul Trollope idea ;)

Tue May 16, 2017 10:00 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I never rated him and still don't. Yes he has a flash of brilliance now and again but I witnessed him ducking tackles on few occasions and that's unforgivable.

of the same opinion as you. have to say though he has done far better at Fukham than i expected him to.

Tue May 16, 2017 11:27 am

He was absolutely shocking when he played for us...he did OK coming forward at times but he was a poor defender and got caught out time and time again.

Also, I saw him shirk tackles and then feign injury on more than one occasion and that is inexcusable.

In fairness he has done really well at Fulham, but he is playing in a system that suits him coming forward...but it's no surprise defensively that Fulham are very poor at times with him at left back

Tue May 16, 2017 2:40 pm

Wasn't a fan, pulled out of far too many tackles and his all round defending was the majority of the time pretty poor. Sometimes looked comfortable on the ball and could deliver a nice cross but spent too much time thinking he was Marcelo trying tricks. I'm much happier with our full back options now than from Malone was here .

Tue May 16, 2017 7:24 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Rydogsccfc wrote:Joe Bennett is a good enough replacement and has already scored more goals than Malone did for us.

But created 2nd most chances and goals in our squad behind Whitts.

I think we didn't fully got the most out of him like what Fulham are getting out of him.

Tue May 16, 2017 8:04 pm

The thing is people only dislike him because a love in for Fabio and couldn't accept Malone was the better defender in defending.

The boy become automatic scapegoat after his own goal v Derby, the people criticising him on the field couldn't be going to games or just know nothing about football because he didn't have many bad games.

Got a better player in Bennett which is good, I still think Fulham easily got the better deal even though Jazz has improved.