' SOLD OUT CARDIFF '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' SOLD OUT CARDIFF '

Postby Forever Blue » Tue May 16, 2017 6:02 am

SOLD OUT CARDIFF

BBC

Tuesday 16th May 2017

Champions League Final: Camping and lodging with locals

Hotels for the Champions League Final in Cardiff sold out months ago - so what will happen to the rest of the 170,000 visitors expected?

Juventus take on Real Madrid in the city on 3 June with tens of thousands of fans expected from Italy and Spain alone.

But Cardiff's 4,000 hotel rooms is a fraction of those in previous host cities Paris (76,000) and Berlin (135,000).

Those unable to secure bookings are expected to look to alternatives such as tents or lodge with local residents.

There is a temporary campsite for about 5,000 supporters at Pontcanna Fields which features 1,500 tents and will be in place between 22 May and 5 June.

Geoff Vaughan from the private firm Campingninja, which is organising the site, said its aim was to provide fans with an alternative to hotels.

"It's about being able for someone to fly in, or take the train in, and just arrive and have everything ready for them," he said.

"So if it's one of our two man tents it'll have a bed in it, it'll have pillows, it'll have sleeping bags."

The lowest price two person tent at the site starts at £300 for the night of the final, illustrating the cost for fans travelling to the event.

Local residents have also tried to cash in and adverts on websites such as Gumtree and Airbnb have some putting their homes up for between £80 and £2,000.

Katarzyna Minor, a lecturer in hospitality at Cardiff Metropolitan University, thinks most people advertising their homes will be able to find guests for the final.

"If you've got a spare room in Cardiff, that eliminates the need to travel in from Swansea or from Bristol, then why wouldn't you do it?" she said.

"This is how the whole idea of Airbnb came about in the first place.

"The people who came up with the idea rented out their own floor space essentially, because their city had run out of hotel space."

Ms Minor also believes the number of people renting out their own homes in cities like Cardiff means it is unlikely more hotels will be built in the future.

"You've got bed and breakfast accommodation, you've got self-catering accommodation and also increasingly these days what you're looking at is the rise of Airbnb," she added.

"You're not just dealing with the hotels' capacity in these cities, but the capacity of all these types of accommodation.

"Because of that I would be surprised if any new big developments would be happening in Cardiff."
Attachments
_95922131_image01.jpg
_95922131_image01.jpg (62.4 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

' SOLD OUT CARDIFF '

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' SOLD OUT CARDIFF '

Postby Dobbin » Tue May 16, 2017 7:42 am

Lots of towns in England sold out as well - Bristol Cheltenham Gloucester Hereford and have hear Birmingham heading that way also.

Can't wait To come back to see this match :thumbup:
Dobbin

Postby MOZZER1 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:28 pm

have you got a ticket dobbin ?

the welsh fa run a 5 a side competition and the winners will receive a champion league final ticket . my lads team has reached the final to be played on a floating 5 a side pitch at cardiff bay on the day of the game as part of the festival

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local ... t-13036802
MOZZER1

Postby Dobbin » Tue May 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Yes Mozzer I was fortunate enough to get two - the GFA had an allocation of 50 and got them through there :thumbup:

Good luck to your boy what time is this game will try and get down and have a nose :thumbup:
Dobbin

Return to General Chat