Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE JACKS ARE AFTER ONE OF THE BIGGEST FOOTBALL NAMES

Wed May 17, 2017 8:26 am

Swansea City boss Paul Clement preparing to make John Terry approach with Chelsea legend's future unclear

South Wales Evening Post

Wednesday 17th May 2017

The 36-year-old defender hinted he could retire following Chelsea's 4-3 win over Watford

Paul Clement is ready to make a move to bring John Terry to Swansea City now the Welsh club's Premier League status has been secured.

The Swans ensured a seventh-straight season of top-flight football thanks to their 2-0 victory over Sunderland, and Hull's 4-0 defeat at the hands of Crystal Palace.

The business of moulding the Swansea squad ahead of Clement's first full season in charge can now begin in earnest with the Welsh club certain of which division they will ply their trade in.

Chelsea great Terry, 36, is out of contract in the summer and has confirmed he will leave Stamford Bridge when his deal expires, bringing to an end his 22-year association with the club.

During that time the former England captain has won five Premier League titles, five FA Cups, three League Cups, the Champions League and the Europa League.

Clement worked with Terry during his own time at Stamford Bridge and recently indicated he would be ready to get in touch with his former colleague about a potential move to the Liberty, provided Swansea remained in the Premier League.

Now, with another season of top-flight football in the bag, Clement says he is ready to firm up his interest in Terry.

"The fact is I know John, he is a top player and a free agent," said Clement.

"So it would only be sensible to have a discussion with him to see if he would be interested.

"I don't know if he has already decided on somewhere else. A lot of the time these things are already done.

"But if that is not the case and he would be open to a conversation, then I would be open to that as well."

For his part Terry, who could make his 717th Chelsea appearance when they host Sunderland in their league finale on Sunday, has remained tight-lipped on his future.

He has been linked with a big-money move to the cash-rich Chinese Super League, but has also hinted he could decide to hang up his boots and bring down the curtain on his illustrious career.

"I've not ruled out Sunday being my last game and retiring from football," he told Sky Sports after scoring in Chelsea's 4-3 win over Watford.

"If the right offer comes along I will sit down and consider it with my family - whether that's here or abroad.

"Genuinely I haven't made any decisions yet and I'm evaluating all my options at the moment."

Clement had attempted to bring another Chelsea stalwart - midfielder Frank Lampard - to Swansea in January, only for the former England international to elect to retire.

Video thumbnail, Swansea are staying upHow the Swans turned it around to avoid relegation

Re: THE JACKS ARE AFTER ONE OF THE BIGGEST FOOTBALL NAMES

Wed May 17, 2017 9:46 am

The jaxx will be all over this like a rash. Good!!

Can't see it happening myself. Bournemouth are rumoured to be in the frame too (also unlikely but more likely than crossing the Severn bridge imho).

Maybe he'll bring his mate Lampard too lol. After all, he did play for them briefly so the story goes. Lol.

If he came to South Wales, it's not the football I'd be wary of but the wives!

Wed May 17, 2017 9:57 am

Excellent player, obviously fading but would be great for the likes of Mawson to learn from in a footballing sense. Would love to see it happening but I just don't. The story will always be there due to his links with Clement but the wages he would demand would be way too much. He could earn triple what we could offer him by going to China, I would file this under "extremely unlikely".

Wed May 17, 2017 11:33 am

SnackaJack wrote:Excellent player, obviously fading but would be great for the likes of Mawson to learn from in a footballing sense. Would love to see it happening but I just don't. The story will always be there due to his links with Clement but the wages he would demand would be way too much. He could earn triple what we could offer him by going to China, I would file this under "extremely unlikely".

Maybe Terry, being used to working in the Capital would like a more compatible residence. Now then that's more like it Snackers!!! :thumbright:

Wed May 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Woodville Willie wrote:
SnackaJack wrote:Excellent player, obviously fading but would be great for the likes of Mawson to learn from in a footballing sense. Would love to see it happening but I just don't. The story will always be there due to his links with Clement but the wages he would demand would be way too much. He could earn triple what we could offer him by going to China, I would file this under "extremely unlikely".

Maybe Terry, being used to working in the Capital would like a more compatible residence. Now then that's more like it Snackers!!! :thumbright:

Make him an offer, I am sure it will be considered seriously :D

Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 pm

SnackaJack wrote:
Woodville Willie wrote:

Make him an offer, I am sure it will be considered seriously :D

You never know! Stranger things have happened.... like survival this season ;)

Wed May 17, 2017 7:53 pm

I always had faith you would finish mid table.

Wed May 17, 2017 8:50 pm

He would fit in a treat there.

He's a c**t.