Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Fans Not united & and still defiant / divided '

Sat May 20, 2017 8:29 am

' Fans Not united & and still defiant / divided '

Many Blackpool fans are divided about going to Wembley for the play-offs v Exeter City.

Blackpool took 30,000 v Cardiff City for their play-off final.

But as little as 6,000 are expected to go this time v Exeter City, whilst little Exeter City are expected to take up to 25,000 fans

Many Blackpool fans are staying defiant and standing by their beliefs against owner Oysten and the glory of Wembley will not change their minds.

Many Blackpool fans standing by their beliefs and won't be bought off by Glory.

Trust chairman expects Blackpool fans to be torn over Wembley play-off trip

Saturday 20th May 2017

Promotion is in sight as the Seasiders prepare for the Sky Bet League Two play-off final at Wembley.

But many supporters will continue their boycott in a protest against chairman Karl Oyston and his family's running of the club.

Gary Bowyer's squad came through a dramatic semi-final second leg against Luton on Thursday night. An own goal from Hatters goalkeeper Stuart Moore in the last minute of stoppage time saw the Tangerines record a 6-5 aggregate win to book a Wembley date against Exeter on May 28.

The Blackpool Supporters' Trust (BST) has established a 'Not A Penny More' campaign, targeting the interests of the club's owners, which includes staying away from home matches at Bloomfield Road. Attendances have plummeted this season as a consequence.

Blackpool were a Premier League side in 2010-11 before dropping down the divisions.

Rowland understands it is a hard decision not to follow the team to Wembley, where protests are planned for outside the stadium.

The BST believes it must look at the "bigger picture" and maintain the drive for a change in ownership.

"The big protest for Blackpool supporters this season has been the ethical boycott," Rowland told Press Association Sport.

"We have been staying away in our thousands, but at the same time letting it be known that we do support the manager and the team, and we wish them well.

"Of course the fact they have now got to Wembley means it is a real crisis of conscience for lots of people, but I won't be going personally and this will be the first play-off final in 25 years that I have not been to - and that comes hard.

"But we have to look at the bigger picture here and the bigger picture is Blackpool is a club that just seven years ago had qualified for the Premier League and had a huge opportunity.

"But all of that good work by the team and the manager at the time, as well as the thousands of fans who supported them, we view as being squandered by the Oystons and the way they have run the club subsequently.

"We would love to support the team, we hope they win, but the majority of us are not going to be there (at Wembley) inside the stadium on the day."

Oyston has been urged by fans to sell up but this week told BBC Radio Lancashire he had received no offers for the club.

"We'll talk to anyone but you can't talk in 'ifs'," Oyston said. "I don't think there's a queue forming at our door, we've still got problems at the club and we've got to address those problems and try and move on. I'm not sure we'll be top of the list for people who want to buy a football club."

Oyston also said he hoped to "repair what can be repaired" in the relationship between the club's owners and the supporter base.

The Trust has, Rowland stressed, always said "it is an individual fan's right to chose whether they go or not".

Rowland added: "The ethical boycott and the 'Not A Penny More' campaign are not compulsory, but we have said there is strength in numbers and the more people who stand firm the clearer that message is.

"If they (fans) want to go (to Wembley), we quite understand that.

"We hope if they do then they will both support the team and also at the same time let it be known that they don't want the Oystons there any more."

Rowland added: "The only real constructive way forward is for a change of ownership - and there are thousands of die-hard fans waiting in the wings to come back once that happens."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Fans Not united & and still defiant / divided '

Sat May 20, 2017 12:46 pm

I know the is owners a cock but if your fans you should want the team yo do well and back them

Sat May 20, 2017 2:26 pm

I've been following their plight since their relegation from the Premier. Read an interesting article where one of the fans behind the boycott believe the Oystons wanted to run the club out of the football league and into oblivion ending the clubs time as a housing estate. Some good points were made which were convincing enough to make you believe it. This play off situation does make you think the idea does not quite match up.

Sat May 20, 2017 7:21 pm

I think they should just get behind the club, it is horrible having clowns for owners but people genuinely believe boycotting will actually do something, it really doesn't. Boycotting is letting the owners win and people have the idea by not giving the club your money will make a difference but in truth it doesn't.

There are a ton of reasons why the owners of your club make you want to walk away but nothing should get in the away in supporting your football team.. owners come and go but the supporters will remain just look at us with the rebrand and all that.. eventually the supporters will win and that's if you just keep pushing towards the board and still get behind the club.

Worst part is they are at Wembley, not at Bloomfield road.

Sat May 20, 2017 7:33 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:I think they should just get behind the club, it is horrible having clowns for owners but people genuinely believe boycotting will actually do something, it really doesn't. Boycotting is letting the owners win and people have the idea by not giving the club your money will make a difference but in truth it doesn't.

There are a ton of reasons why the owners of your club make you want to walk away but nothing should get in the away in supporting your football team.. owners come and go but the supporters will remain just look at us with the rebrand and all that.. eventually the supporters will win and that's if you just keep pushing towards the board and still get behind the club.

I'm still question if I should have boycotted during the rebrand instead of staying and supporting the team. My mind was made up when I had the Red Leader trying to push people like me out claiming I had accepted the rebrand because I continued to support the team. I know my continued support of the team got under his skin.

Sat May 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:I think they should just get behind the club, it is horrible having clowns for owners but people genuinely believe boycotting will actually do something, it really doesn't. Boycotting is letting the owners win and people have the idea by not giving the club your money will make a difference but in truth it doesn't.

I'm still question if I should have boycotted during the rebrand instead of staying and supporting the team. My mind was made up when I had the Red Leader trying to push people like me out claiming I had accepted the rebrand because I continued to support the team. I know my continued support of the team got under his skin.

For me loyal supporters should not let anything get in the way of supporting the team, there are a lot of things that we didn't agree with when Tan rebranded us but eventually the time will come where they will either leave or take back what they did.. you made the right choice Bakes, we all having tipping points but if you love the club then why walk away? People thought boycotting made a difference and thought it was a big stuff you to Tan but it weren't.

Sat May 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Only 2.8k home fans in there last match at home vs luton in the first leg of the playoffs so good on them for not selling out :thumbup:

Sat May 20, 2017 7:49 pm

Bluebird1977 wrote:Only 2.8k home fans in there last match at home vs luton in the first leg of the playoffs so good on them for not selling out :thumbup:

Selling out or not being loyal to their club? Hardly true supporters if people have boycotted?

Sat May 20, 2017 8:43 pm

I suppose you have to feel sorry for the fans but part of me is smiling as after all Blackpool gave me one of my worst days in football ever.

Sat May 20, 2017 10:13 pm

If you look at it another way blackpool apart from when they were in the premier league are not a well supported club so the loyal fans are the ones that are going to Wembley the others would be jumping on the bandwagon like they did against us

Sun May 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Bluebird1977 wrote:Only 2.8k home fans in there last match at home vs luton in the first leg of the playoffs so good on them for not selling out :thumbup:

please explain sell out in this case.