' Cardiff City are not giving up hope '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sun May 21, 2017 7:24 am

Cardiff City are not giving up hope on forgotten man Frederic Gounongbe

Frederic Gounongbe has struggled

By Chris Wathan

Sunday 21st May 2017

Cardiff City are not yet giving up on Frederic Gounongbe despite an anonymous first year with the Bluebirds.

And it’s emerged the striker has spent most of the second-half of the season recovering from injury having been absent for large parts of Neil Warnock’s reign.

Gounongbe has been a huge disappointment since arriving from Belgium football last summer and immediately handed the club’s No.9 shirt.

Signed on a Bosman from Westerlo having hit a goal every other game in the Jupiler League, he was unveiled as one of Paul Trollope’s first signings with the Benin international backed to add to the Bluebirds’ firepower.

Yet he started just three games in his first season in South Wales – failing to complete 90 minutes in any of them – while he failed to seize his chance when Neil Warnock replaced the axed Trollope.

After no goals and little impact, Gounongbe went missing from matchday squads after February with the 29-year-old’s future looked in doubt less than 12 months into a two-year-deal.

But it appears the frontman suffered a pelvic injury and underwent surgery to rule him out of any comeback under Warnock in the second-half of the last campaign.

And now the Bluebirds boss is expecting him back in pre-season with the hope that the 6ft 3in forward can show he could still form part of future plans under the veteran chief.

Gounongbe started the season as first-choice striker but suffered the ignominy of missing an open goal from yards out on his debut at Birmingham.

He failed to recover, though did earn praise from Warnock for his response in training which eventually earned him a start against Brighton.

He failed to take his chance before injury hit and was not seen after being an unnamed substitute in the home defeat to Norwich in February.

Yet it now transpires Gounongbe required surgery and has been told to return for pre-season ready to prove his worth.

Frederic Gounongbe of Cardiff City is challenged by Jon Gorenc Stankovic of Huddersfield
Kenneth Zohore has shown the way in terms of grasping chances under Warnock having been close to the exit door at one stage.

And Warnock has previously described Gounongbe as being the side’s best finisher in training, though added he needed to up his work rate if he wanted to be successful.

It’s unlikely he would force out Zohore of Warnock’s side while it is expected that Cardiff – who also still have Rickie Lambert on the books after his own injury-plagued season – will look to bring in extra firepower this summer.

Warnock has assessed his squad and has told players they will be surplus to requirements, with winger Craig Noone among those informed to try and find a move this summer.

Craig Noone in action against Wigan (Photo: Huw Evans Picture Agency)
But it appears Gounongbe is not yet among those numbers, though will not be able to waste much time in making an impact upon his return.

The seven-cap international was called up by Benin for their African qualifiers next month, but it is thought unlikely he would be fit to play ahead of pre-season.
Attachments
JS97379428.jpg
JS97379428.jpg (48.28 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' Cardiff City are not giving up hope '

Postby BrightBlueFuture » Sun May 21, 2017 4:41 pm

I think he'd be a really good player if given the chance......

For Cardiff Met
BrightBlueFuture

Postby RageJon » Sun May 21, 2017 5:47 pm

Kenneth was a bag of shite when he first came in so I'm keeping my opinions to myself
Always Know If The Juice Is Worth The Squeeze !

Utrinque Paratus
RageJon

Postby pengamblue » Sun May 21, 2017 6:17 pm

Freddy take a leaf out of zohore book time to step up
pengamblue

Postby BobbyBlue » Sun May 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Needs to look at Zahore as an example but I can't see him being anywhere near as good as Zahore I just don't like the look of hin
BobbyBlue

Postby valleyrambill » Sun May 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Its been said by many of the trainers that actually Fred was the best striker we had just needed to get his confidence his pay is low why not see what Warnock can do with him
[color=#0040BF][/color]
valleyrambill

Postby BlueMagic » Sun May 21, 2017 8:23 pm

Send him to kortvijk and swap him with saadi
BlueMagic

Postby Reza » Sun May 21, 2017 8:24 pm

It's the type of thing the club comes out with when they ain't going to spend money that's my worry
Always be blue
Reza

Postby DandoCCFC » Sun May 21, 2017 8:27 pm

The thing is the adopted opinion on Zohore and Fred were not good enough at all at this level is bizarre because neither got a fair chance and hardly started a game for us.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby BobbyBlue » Sun May 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Warnock cudnt of seen much in training as he hasn't been given a sniff.
BobbyBlue

Postby nubbsy » Sun May 21, 2017 10:31 pm

BobbyBlue wrote:Warnock cudnt of seen much in training as he hasn't been given a sniff.

Before he disappeared warnock was quoted saying Fred was training well and was the best finisher on the training pitch. Then the rumour came of the bust up but turns out he was injured...
nubbsy

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Mon May 22, 2017 4:18 pm

sorry cant see any quality in this guy tbh, with Zohore there always seemed to be a good player there (example leeds at home under slade) but he was too lazy and complacent to show it under Trollope. He's fast, hell of a shot on him and powerful. with Gounongbe I just see a player who isn't good enough at this level. But hope he proves me wrong.
Bluebird Warrior

Return to General Chat