Swansea City keen to sign star

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Mon May 22, 2017 7:45 am

Departing Chelsea defender John Terry leaves door open for Swansea City move as he says he wants to keep playing

By Matthew Davies

Monday 22nd May 2017

Veteran centre-back played his last game for the Premier League champions on Sunday against Sunderland

John Terry says he will take a few weeks off to decide where his future lies but confirmed he will not be hanging up his boots following his departure from Chelsea.

The centre-back played his last game for the champions on Sunday afternoon, substituted in the 26th minute in a pre-arranged move.

The former England captain received a guard of honour from his team-mates and a standing ovation at Stamford Bridge.

It has been a difficult final season for Terry under Antonio Conte as the Italian switched to a back three.

Terry struggled for game-time and spent much of the campaign on the bench.

Swansea City head coach Paul Clement has admitted he would be keen to speak to Terry over a move to the Liberty Stadium, having worked with the defender during his time with Chelsea.

Chelsea's Gary Cahill (centre left) and John Terry (centre right) lift the trophy after the Premier League match at Stamford Bridge, London.
For his part, Terry said he wants to keep playing after suggestions earlier this week that he could retire.

Speaking to Sky Sports after the game, he said: "I'm going to see what happens, I'm going to have a few weeks off, I think myself and my family deserve that at least.

"I'm going to get away and relax before deciding anything."

Sky pundit Graeme Souness then asked Terry: "You're not going to pack it in, are you? You've still got so much to offer. You must keep playing. When you finish...you can't get it back"

Terry replied: "No... every ex-player I speak to says the same, play as long as you can and treasure every minute. It is great advice... I want to keep playing, that is the whole reason why I've decided to call it a day at Chelsea because I want to play, whether that be for one more year or two more years and I didn't want to be that player standing in the way of the likes of Nathan Ake or Kurt Zouma - it is now their time to shine."

Clement said earlier this week that he'd be open to a chat with the 36-year-old.

"The fact is I know John, he is a top player and a free agent," said Clement.

"So it would only be sensible to have a discussion with him to see if he would be interested.

"I don't know if he has already decided on somewhere else. A lot of the time these things are already done.

"But if that is not the case and he would be open to a conversation, then I would be open to that as well."

Bournemouth and West Brom have both been linked with Terry, as well teams in MLS and China.
Attachments
IMG_1488.JPG
IMG_1488.JPG (84.52 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Return to General Chat