Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Joey Barton Latest News

Thu May 25, 2017 8:02 am

JOEY BARTON: RETURN TOUGH

25/05/17

Joey Barton admits it will be difficult for him to make a comeback after his 18-month ban for betting infringements but insists he hasn't given up hope of a return to English football.

The midfielder was released by the Clarets at the end of the season but insists he is not yet ready to retire and has already submitted an appeal against the length of his ban.

"You can work in six-month windows, you can potentially work in 12-month windows but if it's 18 months - that's the better part of 60, 70 football matches," said Barton at the 15th annual Cross Sports Book Awards ceremony in London.

"It makes it really difficult and certainly at the age that I'm at, it makes it incredibly difficult. It makes it an even better story should you have the audacity to pull it off."

Re: Joey Barton Latest News

Thu May 25, 2017 12:08 pm

For once, I feel a little for Joey Barton and the length of ban...

If he'd been betting on or against his own team, that would have been a different matter completely and I am pretty sure he is not the first or last to have an 'issue' with gambling (the latest being a certain Shrek-like Man Utd player) ;)

Thu May 25, 2017 12:54 pm

Sven wrote:For once, I feel a little for Joey Barton and the length of ban...

If he'd been betting on or against his own team, that would have been a different matter completely and I am pretty sure he is not the first or last to have an 'issue' with gambling (the latest being a certain Shrek-like Man Utd player) ;)

I may be wrong but I thought I read quite a few of his bets were in games he were playing in and not always for his club. It may have been "fake news" from Facebook mind :lol: .

Thu May 25, 2017 1:11 pm

He bet on his own team to win and lose numerous times. With an appalling accuracy record I may add.

Fri May 26, 2017 5:56 pm

Theres a guy who plays for Inverness done the same in scotland and only got a 8 game ban i think it's a bit harsh his ban

Fri May 26, 2017 6:57 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Sven wrote:For once, I feel a little for Joey Barton and the length of ban...

I may be wrong but I thought I read quite a few of his bets were in games he were playing in and not always for his club. It may have been "fake news" from Facebook mind :lol: .

well in Bartons very long statement he insists that every time he bet against his own club ,he was not in the matchday squad.
and admits being childish in doing so because he had been left out.

Fri May 26, 2017 7:43 pm

SnackaJack wrote:He bet on his own team to win and lose numerous times. With an appalling accuracy record I may add.

He said they were games he wasn't involved in. 18 months is over the top, effectively ended his career