Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING NEWS: CARDIFF CITY SIGN SCOTLAND INTERNATIONAL..

Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:42 pm

Club's just announced we've signed Callum Patterson

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144783 :bluebird: :bluebird:

Cardiff City snap up Scotland international defender who was a free agent, City had to pay training compensation.

Callum Paterson has agreed a contract with English Championship side Cardiff City, ending his time with Hearts.

The defender's deal with the Jam Tarts expired, leaving him free to negotiate with other clubs and he opted to sign for the Welsh side as they bid to secure promotion to the English Premier League next season.

Hearts have confirmed they have agreed training compensation for the player as he heads south.

The right-back is currently undergoing rehabilitation after a serious knee injury sustained in December ruled him out for between six and nine months.

Paterson becomes the third new face at CCS this summer, following the arrivals last week of Neil Etheridge and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.

Paterson joins the Bluebirds following the expiration of his contract at Heart of Midlothian, signing a deal that will run until the summer of 2020.

Cardiff City is delighted to confirm the signing of Scotland international defender Callum Paterson, subject to international clearance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Callum Patterson

Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:46 pm

CALLUM PATERSON SIGNS FOR THE BLUEBIRDS

Wednesday 7th June 2017

Cardiff City snap up Scotland international defender

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144783

Paterson joins the Bluebirds following the expiration of his contract at Heart of Midlothian, signing a deal that will run until the summer of 2020.

Cardiff City is delighted to confirm the signing of Scotland international defender Callum Paterson, subject to international clearance.

During his time at Tynecastle Stadium the twenty-two year old made over one hundred and fifty first-team appearances.

An attacking full-back, Paterson also netted an impressive thirty-eight goals during his five-year stint in the Scottish capital.

Upon his arrival at Cardiff City Stadium, Paterson spoke exclusively to iFollow Cardiff City in an interview which can be watched in full above.

“I’m absolutely delighted and buzzing to be part of this big Club,” he began.

“It’s nice and early so I’ve got a lot of time to bed in, get to know my way around the area and introduce myself. It’s great timing and I’m happy to be here.”

The defender also went on to explain what he hopes to bring to Neil Warnock's side when he pulls on the Bluebirds shirt for the first time.

“Anyone that has watched me has seen that I like to attack,” continued the full-back. “I’m athletic and I like to go forward and try and get on the end of crosses.

“I’m a great attacker and I like to score my goals, so hopefully I can come here and score a few too.”

Paterson becomes the third new face at CCS this summer, following the arrivals last week of Neil Etheridge and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.

Scotland international defender Callum Paterson
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BREAKING: CALLUM PATTERSON...

Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:50 pm

Happy about this. What I've seen of him on TV he seems a good strong wing back. Hopefully he is fully recovered from his recent injury and can become a CCFC hero like a certain other Scottish full back. Welcome Callum! :bluescarf:

Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:52 pm

Another gamble I suppose with an injured player but hopefully it will turn out for the best like with Joe Bennett rather than another Rickie Lambert.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:07 pm

Great news!!!

Re: BREAKING NEWS: CARDIFF CITY SIGN SCOTLAND INTERNATIONAL.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Feck me,judging by the number of posts on this forum I think we've signed him 5 times. :lol:

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:20 pm

Delighted with this signing, I know a few Hearts fans and have been told he is not your usual type full back...quick, powerful and gets in the box at every opportunity.

Defensively he not great mainly because he spends so much time getting forward...was told that he could quite easily be converted into an attacking midfielder/wingback.

Also heard last week from a very good source that Peltier is possibly going to be used more as a centre back next season.

This signing and the form of Bennett...maybe 3 at the back with wing backs next season???

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:34 pm

Callum Paterson leaves Hearts for Cardiff City

Sky Sports

07/06/17

Cardiff have signed Scotland international defender Callum Paterson on a free transfer from Hearts.

The 22-year-old has put pen to paper on a three-year deal following the expiration of his contract with the Scottish club.

He becomes the third new signing for Cardiff after the arrivals last week of Neil Etheridge and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:35 pm

Still injured but at 400K well worth a punt. Can play across the back but prefers attacking full back role.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Jock wrote:Still injured but at 400K well worth a punt. Can play across the back but prefers attacking full back role.

him and Richards at wingback though :thumbright: :thumbright:

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Callum Paterson has agreed a contract with English Championship side Cardiff City, ending his time with Hearts.

The defender's deal with the Jam Tarts expired, leaving him free to negotiate with other clubs and he opted to sign for the Welsh side as they bid to secure promotion to the English Premier League next season.

Hearts have confirmed they have agreed training compensation for the player as he heads south.

Paterson is ending a seven-year association with Hearts, having come through the club's academy to make 162 appearances for the first team.

During that time he rose to national recognition and has earned five caps for Scotland.

The right-back is currently undergoing rehabilitation after a serious knee injury sustained in December ruled him out for between six and nine months.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:41 pm

Jock wrote:Still injured but at 400K well worth a punt. Can play across the back but prefers attacking full back role.

Still injured? :o Not doubting you but if what you say is true than rather worrying. Why do we continue to sign players when they are injured?

Look how long it took Saadi before he even got onto the pitch for us and Lambert's signing has been a poor and very expensive mistake.

Anyway, let's hope he gets fit and firing as quickly as possible.

Welcome to the club and hopefully you'll have a long, successful and injury free career with the Bluebirds!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:51 pm

davids wrote:

Still injured? :o Not doubting you but if what you say is true than rather worrying. Why do we continue to sign players when they are injured?

Look how long it took Saadi before he even got onto the pitch for us and Lambert's signing has been a poor and very expensive mistake.

Anyway, let's hope he gets fit and firing as quickly as possible.

Welcome to the club and hopefully you'll have a long, successful and injury free career with the Bluebirds!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Missed the last 4 months of last season but is now back running and should be back in action by September

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:12 pm

He passed a medical so I trust his injury problems are behind him.

Delighted with this signing and very happy with the previous two. We seem to be strengthening our squad in a very structured and pragmatic way filling the gaps and ensuring our squad is more pacey and mobile.

Also great that it's being done early as players can settle in sooner.

Another great move by the club.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Not that concerned about the injury, he's 23 and upto that point a good injury history. As mentioned is running and training, and passed a medical. 400k fee could turn out an absolute bargain.
The other point, if he wasn't injured no way would we have got him, he was close to joining West Ham before the injury.
If we can tie down Manga, we have a fantastic set of defends that give cover and lots of options.
Manga, Bamba, Connolly, Morrison
Patterson, Pelts
Bennett, Richards
Very impressive!

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:39 pm

Callum Paterson's strength is 89 on both FIFA 17 and Football Manager. A YouTube search of him will show you that he is a very physical player who likes to bomb forward.

Surely this is the end for Jazz seeing as Peltier has a new contract too. Really want at least one Welsh lad in the starting eleven lol. :(

Bennett/John (John likely to go) at Left Back.
Paterson/Richards/Peltier at Right Back.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:43 pm

MarshfieldIsBlue wrote:Callum Paterson's strength is 89 on both FIFA 17 and Football Manager. A YouTube search of him will show you that he is a very physical player who likes to bomb forward.

Surely this is the end for Jazz seeing as Peltier has a new contract too. Really want at least one Welsh lad in the starting eleven lol. :(

As long as his strength is 89 on FIFA, I'm happy!
What's his positioning on FIFA?? - if it's higher than 80, we'll win the league :lol:

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Bluebird_87 wrote:
MarshfieldIsBlue wrote:Callum Paterson's strength is 89 on both FIFA 17 and Football Manager. A YouTube search of him will show you that he is a very physical player who likes to bomb forward.

As long as his strength is 89 on FIFA, I'm happy!
What's his positioning on FIFA?? - if it's higher than 80, we'll win the league :lol:

Fifa FUT is 90 physical and 82 pace! Down as a RB

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:48 pm

My friend who is a big Hearts fan says that Paterson can play as a Centre Back, Right Back and even as a Striker?! Plus he has a giant throw. Very interesting.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:00 pm

MarshfieldIsBlue wrote:My friend who is a big Hearts fan says that Paterson can play as a Centre Back, Right Back and even as a Striker?! Plus he has a giant throw. Very interesting.

Be signing Rory Delap next then

Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Welcome to the pleasure dome Chief

Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Pleased with his one.
Strong, athletic, good tackler and chips in with goals.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:10 pm

PATERSON REJECTS RANGERS FOR ENGLISH FOOTBALL
By: Bodie Williams

Callum Paterson has opted to join Championship side Cardiff City after rejecting reported interest from Rangers.

Cardiff announced the signing of the 22-year-old on their official website on Wednesday, which has seen the former Hearts right-back put pen to paper on a three-year deal.

The Scotsman and Edinburgh News reporter Barry Anderson revealed on his personal Twitter account that Paterson had decided to ignore interest from the Gers.

He claimed that the goalscoring defender wanted to continue his career down south after starring for the Jam Tarts in the top flight of Scottish football.

Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha is likely to have been attracted to the five-time Scotland international as he became renowned for his exploits in the final third with Hearts.

Before suffering a long-term knee injury in December, Paterson had found the back of the net 10 times from right-back for the Tynecastle side in just 25 league and cup appearances.

However, he was out of contract with Hearts this summer and will now join Neil Warnock’s side until the summer of 2020.

Paterson departs Hearts after seven years with Ian Cathro’s side, making a total of 162 first-team appearances and scoring 38 times.

Rangers have already completed four signings this summer, bringing in Portuguese defenders Bruno Alves and Fabio Cardoso, while ex-Aberdeen skipper Ryan Jack and Benfica ace Dalcio have also moved to Glasgow.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:40 pm

As a Hibs supporter I'm delighted he's gone as he always scores against us.

Played youth football with him and was the year above him in school. Very strong and pacy player who has a great goalscoring record for a right back. He got his break in the Scotland team which surprised some, but he did well and will be first choice right back when fit! A lot of players from Scotland don't make it down south due to physicality but that won't be an issue with Callum. Add that to his quality and I'm sure he'll be a good signing for the Bluebirds when fit!

Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:41 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:He passed a medical so I trust his injury problems are behind him.

Delighted with this signing and very happy with the previous two. We seem to be strengthening our squad in a very structured and pragmatic way filling the gaps and ensuring our squad is more pacey and mobile.

Let's him get a full pre season in.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:24 pm

MarshfieldIsBlue wrote:My friend who is a big Hearts fan says that Paterson can play as a Centre Back, Right Back and even as a Striker?! Plus he has a giant throw. Very interesting.

Jeez, he sounds like superman.
People so over the top!

Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:27 pm

I have a Glasgow Rangers mate, a season ticket holder who reckons this lad is the best player in Scottish football, reckon I might have a bet on Cardiff for the play offs this year..

Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:33 pm

Welcome aboard fellow bluebird :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Jock wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:He passed a medical so I trust his injury problems are behind him.

doubt it - his injury in December ruled him out for 6 to 10 months, meaning we may not even see him until October :cry:

Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:41 pm

Cymru Am Byth wrote:
Jock wrote:

doubt it - his injury in December ruled him out for 6 to 10 months, meaning we may not even see him until October :cry:

Or being more optimistic 6 months after December is June so reasonable to think he will be fit after a pre season ;)