Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' REVEALED: CITY FANS FAVOURITE EVER... '

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Fans reveal their favourite ever Cardiff City kits

Wednesday 7th June 2017

The Cardiff faithful have been having their say on their favourite strips following the announcement that the Bluebirds will reveal their new home kit later this month

The anticipation for the 2017-18 campaign grew even greater today as Cardiff City announced they will unveil their new kit for next season later this month.

Neil Warnock and his troops will be hoping to create some special memories in their new strip - set to be unveiled by the club on June 17 - as the Yorkshireman looks to guide the Bluebirds to the promised land of the Premier League.

It's set to be part of an exciting period for the Cardiff supporters who will find out the Championship fixtures for next season just four days after their new shirt goes on sale at the club's official shop.

So ahead of the big unveiling, we asked the fans which home shirt is their favourite from over the years.

These jerseys are the pick of the bunch...

Starting at the top...

2015/16

Adidas very rarely get it wrong when it comes to football kits, and they certainly nailed it when they designed the Bluebirds' shirt for the first time two years ago.

Their simplistic and sleek design that featured dark blue horizontal stripes across the front of the shirt made for a very eye-catching home strip and proved to be a real hit with the fans.

2007-08

The Bluebirds enjoyed a truly memorable campaign that saw them reach the final of the FA Cup.

And given the nature of the club's incredible season that year, fans will always remember the likes of Joe Ledley, Peter Whittingham and Kevin McNaughton wearing the blue, white and yellow shirt during the course of the 2007-08 season.

Cardiff City team, pictured with the 3rd Division title trophy in 1993

Back Row - L to R - Rick Wright (Chairman), Lee Badderley, Gavin Ward, Chris Pike, Nick Richardson, Jason Perry, Roger Gibbins, Derek Brazil, Nathan Blake, Mark Grew, Paul Millar, Harry Parsons (Kit man) Jimmy Goodfellow (Asst Manager). Front Row - Phil Stant, Cohen Griffth, Damon Searle, Paul Ramsey, Robbie James, Carl Dale, Eddie May (manager)

Cardiff City squad 1974-75

Back Row - Don Murray, Leighton Phillips, George Smith, Derek Showers, Bill Irwin, Freddie Pethard, Ron Healey, Jack Whitham, Johnny Vincent, John Impey, Willie Anderson - Front Row - John Farrington, Dave Powell, Phil Dwyer, Gil Reece, Jimmy Andrews (Manager) Gary Bell, Richie Morgan, Tony Villars, Clive Charles

1992-93

As with the 2007-08 strip, the 1992-93 season was a truly memorable time for Cardiff City fans.

The Bluebirds secured promotion from Division Three under Eddie May, and their wonderfully baggy South Wales Echo sponsored strip will always trigger the happiest of thoughts for those fortunate enough to be a part of what was a stunning campaign.

1975-76

Long before most people reading this will even remember, the Bluebirds secured an immediate return to Division Two in 1976 having been relegated from the division just a year earlier.

Jimmy Andrews' men wore the above strip - modelled so gracefully by City legend Robin Friday :notworthy: - for two seasons as Cardiff continued their successful association with Umbro in the 70s right the way through to the mid-80s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: REVEALED: CITY FANS FAVOURITE EVER...

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Some great memories there; particularly the legendary (not always for the right reasons! LOL :laughing6: ) late Robin Friday and I would say that kit was my favourite to date, although I quite like the current shirt too :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:16 pm

My Favourite ever City Shirt :bluebird: :bluebird:

1975-76 Kit

Bring it back and City will sell thousands upon thousands :bluebird: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:54 pm

Forever Blue wrote:My Favourite ever City Shirt :bluebird: :bluebird:

1975-76 Kit

Got to agree Annis, my fav by a mile.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:23 pm

1975-76 Kit

Everyone of a certain age love this kit...we had a half decent team around the same time as well....good memories :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:57 pm

1975-76 Kit

Seems that a lot of people on here love this kit & I have to agree. We must all be of a certain age :old: :old: :old:

I have a picture with me wearing this kit (as a goalkeeper) & my best friend wearing the Welsh kit with the green & yellow stripes down either side. Anyone else remember that one?

Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Jules wrote:

1975-76 Kit

Got to agree Annis, my fav by a mile.

And mine Jules, I just wish our club would play in it for a season again :thumbright: :bluebird:

Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:04 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

1975-76 Kit

Everyone of a certain age love this kit...we had a half decent team around the same time as well....good memories :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

We certainly did :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:05 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:

1975-76 Kit

Seems that a lot of people on here love this kit & I have to agree. We must all be of a certain age :old: :old: :old:

I have a picture with me wearing this kit (as a goalkeeper) & my best friend wearing the Welsh kit with the green & yellow stripes down either side. Anyone else remember that one?

:lol:

All oldies :lol:

I have one with Ron Healey, I was wearing it then, great memories for you and I :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Re: ' REVEALED: CITY FANS FAVOURITE EVER... '

Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:06 pm

I loved last years kit to be honest.

On a different, but similar subject:

Should Cardiff City play in all blue, like last season? Or alternatively, blue top-blue shorts-White socks or blue top-white shorts-white socks...?

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:29 pm

blue shirts and for me I would like to see the return of white shorts with the blue strip on the side of the shorts

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:38 pm

Sven wrote:Some great memories there; particularly the legendary (not always for the right reasons! LOL :laughing6: ) late Robin Friday and I would say that kit was my favourite to date, although I quite like the current shirt too :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Completely agree. The '75/'80 kit was simply a brilliant design and it made me believe I had the football skills of Peter Sayer, when in reality I was probably more like Leo Sayer. But you really can't go wrong with Adidas, always good and long may that continue.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:41 pm

1975-76 Kit

Unpopular at the time though and we only had it because Umbro had spare stock and they were cheap.

Yellow has appeared on a Cardiff shirt for 10 seasons, the first of which were on that kit. We play in blue and white.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:47 pm

i bought my first city shirt ever a few weeks ago when they club shop were almost giving away for free,but if they had an Adidas modern play on he iconic 75~77 strip I would fork out full dollar for it :bluebird:

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:48 pm

petesmeat wrote:

1975-76 Kit

Unpopular at the time though and we only had it because Umbro had spare stock and they were cheap.

Yellow has appeared on a Cardiff shirt for 10 seasons, the first of which were on that kit. We play in blue and white.

One word, ICONIC. Indisputably Cardiff City F. C. and I would love it to come back.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:55 pm

TERRYB wrote:
petesmeat wrote:

1975-76 Kit

One word, ICONIC. Indisputably Cardiff City F. C. and I would love it to come back.

But it isn't Cardiff City, that's my point. It resonates with one age group of fans who started watching CCFC during the time we played in this kit.

It was a copy of the Luton Town kit from the year before. Yellow appeared on the kit in 1975 for the first time, and then after 1980, it was on the collar in 1995-96, the sleeves in 97-98 and then appeared on the kit in 2007-2010. That's your lot.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:

1975-76 Kit

A few years ago I remember the club running a competition to pick the best ever kit which would be used the following season. That kit won by a mile but the kit which was produced for the following season looked f**k all like it :shock:

I think this was about 10 years ago anyone remember it?

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:

1975-76 Kit

A few years ago I remember the club running a competition to pick the best ever kit which would be used the following season. That kit won by a mile but the kit which was produced for the following season looked f**k all like it :shock:

I think this was about 10 years ago anyone remember it?

Think it was the last year we played at ninian park.i remember waiting to see the players run out knowing the vote and the chosen kit to copy .the kit was nothing like it I remember my dissapointment.
I think I'm relating to what your on about.

For the record the robin Friday kit was my first and only kit as a kid I loved it and fell in love with Cardiff city .this kit is my favourite for this reason made me proud I never had another kit to expensive and you couldn't really get them like today Giles sports Caroline at used to sell em I think it was.
So many of us love that kit will always be my favourite bring it back city.