Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Updated ' Blackburn to sign Cardiff City Legend '

Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:09 am

Updated

Peter Whittingham seems Blackburn bound

09/06/17

By Paul Abbadananto Head of Sport

Peter Whittingham seems Blackburn bound and Warnock is also targeting another midfielder to make the play next to Aron Gunnarsson and Joe Ralls.

Looks like peter whittingham is off to blackburn :(

Blackburn Rovers are poised to sign former Cardiff City midfielder Peter Whittingham on a free transfer.

HITC

Friday 9th April 2017

Blackburn Rovers are poised to sign former Cardiff City midfielder Peter Whittingham on a free transfer, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club.

Whittingham is out of contract at the Cardiff City Stadium and he has decided to move on for a new challenge after turning down the club's offer of a new deal.

The 32-year-old has spent the last ten years at Cardiff, making over 450 appearances for the Bluebirds and he is a big fans' favourite at the club.

Whittingham played a more reduced role in the starting XI last season, but he still made 37 appearances in the Championship and contributed seven goals and eight assists.

The news will be a blow for Cardiff with Whittingham establishing himself as a key man at the club since his arrival from Aston Villa in January 2007.

A number of clubs are understood to have expressed an interest in Whittingham, but Blackburn have moved swiftly to agree a deal for the former England Under-21 international.

Blackburn boss Tony Mowbray is looking to rebuild his squad at Ewood Park following relegation from the Championship last season and he sees Whittingham's creativity and experience as a vital addition to his squad.

Re: Blackburn to sign Cardiff Legend

Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:12 am

Get your money on them to win league for sure. Whitts is far too good for that level. Assume 2 year deal

Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:16 am

HITC...

Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:17 am

Gutted if this is true, he's still our most gifted footballer, he can still do a job here. :(

Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:43 am

norms76 wrote:Gutted if this is true, he's still our most gifted footballer, he can still do a job here. :(

You're right and I'd be gutted to see him leave. Nobody can touch him for skill and creativity but I'm sure Warnock wants more athletic players.
Saying that, I don't know this HITC site but most people slate it as rumoured nonsense.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:07 am

I'd be very surprised at this considering he's settled in Penarth and doesn't his missus have a business in Penarth.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:20 am

If true, sounds like a good move for Peter

Bossing a league with a stronger side around him for that level and enjoying his last few years playing regular and winning games

I don't want him to go
still think we could wrap a midfield around him - (but that may be unsustainable for the club at this time)

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:44 am

Hmmm If his agent has that many offers (as he said) why would you drop down a division ? or does Whitts himself realise that his best days are past?
Saying that if HITC have announced this then most likely it's wrong. :roll:

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:09 am

Connolly looks like he's confirmed it on twitter

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:10 am

Be sad to see him go as he's given the club the best years of his life but at the end of the day if we aim to be a top six championship side next season, given the strength of the league, we need younger and fitter players. Not saying he couldn't have done a job but he wasn't going to be a regular starter so think he has done the right thing moving on, many players would have seen their carear out sat on the bench so fair play to him. Hope he's a massive success at Blackburn, couldn't have said that if he's signed for another championship club especially the wurzels.

Re: Updated ' Blackburn to sign Cardiff City Legend '

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:38 am

Peter Whittingham seems Blackburn bound

09/06/17

By Paul Abbadananto Head of Sport

Peter Whittingham seems Blackburn bound and Warnock is also targeting another midfielder to make the play next to Aron Gunnarsson and Joe Ralls.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:23 am

I'll be sad if this is true but every player eventually leaves the club either because they transfer to another club or they retire. I'm 100% with NW and if he has decided he cannot find Whitts a place in his squad then so be it.

Having said that thanks Peter for 10 years loyalty to our club, for the memories of fantastic goals, passes and assists. I wish you the very best of luck for the future except of course if and when you play against Cardiff City.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:26 am

Photographed their game against Villa at end of season.

Craig Conway is there and also a few ex City players live nearby

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:32 am

boyo1927 wrote:Get your money on them to win league for sure. Whitts is far too good for that level. Assume 2 year deal

If he is that good why is he dropping down a division????

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:42 am

£££££££££££££

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:44 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:Get your money on them to win league for sure. Whitts is far too good for that level. Assume 2 year deal

If he is that good why is he dropping down a division????

Money :D

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:46 am

I've scouted the Blackburn forums.. Doesn't look like they have any clue of this.

Wondering if it has any legs

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:00 pm

IF true then good luck to him.

I hope when he retires he heads back this way so he can be treated like the City hero he is. :bluebird:

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:05 pm

I'll be surprised if he goes there. He's still a Championship player. Really sad if he goes.....still a class act.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:24 pm

If true it will be great for Blackburn and a sad day for us imho.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:26 pm

"The king is dead, long live the king"

Glad he won't play against us this season (at least)

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:48 pm

BlueDredd wrote:I've scouted the Blackburn forums.. Doesn't look like they have any clue of this.

Wondering if it has any legs

I done this also. no mention at all of Whitts :occasion5:

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:59 pm

Good luck to him. City legend!

Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:14 pm

rather them than Bristol

Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:39 pm

Cardiff City stalwart Peter Whitttingham set to depart for Blackburn- reports
By Jordan Jones

Cardiff City’s Peter Whittingham looks set for a move to recently-relegated Blackburn Rovers according to reports.

HITC Sport say that Whittingham who has been at the club for over a decade has rejected the new contract offer given to him and he is to now seek a new challenge.

Whittingham, who was a second half subsitute in the Bluebirds 3-0 win over Huddersfield on the final day of the season, looks set to have made his last appearance for the club.

Manager Neil Warnock was keen to keep Whittingham at the club and wasn’t seeking a replacement for him but said he would understand if he left when speaking to the BBC.

“If he could get two years – and his agent says one or two clubs are offering him that – then you can’t blame him.

“It’s up to Peter. I think he’d be better off with us. I’m not really looking to replace him."

Current team mate Matthew Connolly has hinted that Peter Whittingham could be leaving as he posted a message to social media, on his thoughts of a possible move.

The former Aston Villa man is the last player at the club to have played in the FA Cup final back in 2008, showing the change at the club over the last decade.

In total, Whittingham scored 84 league goals for Cardiff, with a majority of those being in the Championship.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:47 pm

Offer Whitts 2 years Neil.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:49 pm

I always thought he would end up at an ambitious League One club. I was guessing Portsmouth because it's closer, but Blackburn would make sense.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:15 pm

Best of luck wherever he goes, a City stalwart deserving of a testimonial without a doubt. Thanks for your service Peter :clap:

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Not gutted -

But that's because as a relatively recent convert to City I never saw him at his best so to speak- and I never rated him massively prior to that.

Wonder if though that's a sign that they're confident of tying up a deal for a certain Scot who plays the link role and dead ball role pretty well??

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:29 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:Not gutted -

But that's because as a relatively recent convert to City I never saw him at his best so to speak- and I never rated him massively prior to that.

Wonder if though that's a sign that they're confident of tying up a deal for a certain Scot who plays the link role and dead ball role pretty well??

Hmmmm,could be.

anyone know what Connelly put on social media?