Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Updated ' Blackburn to sign Cardiff City Legend '

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:39 pm

Jules wrote:
Blue_Barber wrote:Not gutted -

But that's because as a relatively recent convert to City I never saw him at his best so to speak- and I never rated him massively prior to that.

Wonder if though that's a sign that they're confident of tying up a deal for a certain Scot who plays the link role and dead ball role pretty well??

Hmmmm,could be.

anyone know what Connelly put on social media?

https://twitter.com/connolly035/status/ ... 5584023552

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:59 pm

will always be my fav Cardiff player of all time, a true servant to the club and stayed with us through thick and thin even when other players were jumping ship or premier league teams were looking at him. Good luck Peter Wherever you go, you will always be a Cardiff city legend. :bluebird:

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Jules wrote:
Blue_Barber wrote:Not gutted -

But that's because as a relatively recent convert to City I never saw him at his best so to speak- and I never rated him massively prior to that.

Wonder if though that's a sign that they're confident of tying up a deal for a certain Scot who plays the link role and dead ball role pretty well??

Hmmmm,could be.

anyone know what Connelly put on social media?

A picture of him and Whitts celebrating with a sad and crying emoji

Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:24 am

Shame on Warnock... To let Whitts leave the club is a disgrace.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:56 am

Warnock has handled this perfectly to my mind and I hope the guy signs for Blackburn (or whoever) soon before he changes his mind.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:39 am

I love Whitts, one of my all time favourite players and can still definitely do a job but I see him now as more of a squad player, and I'm not sure he has the legs to dominate a midfield in a Warnock team so if he won't take a pay cut to reflect his new status, and wants to play more football then it's for the best he moves on. Will always be a City legend! :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:44 am

Way too good for League one but all the best Whitts and thanks for a great 10 years service

Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks Norms. social media not reached me yet :old: :laughing6:

Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:58 am

City Slicker wrote:Warnock has handled this perfectly to my mind and I hope the guy signs for Blackburn (or whoever) soon before he changes his mind.

well he seems to have both offered him a contract.and it be one that pushes Whitts out. if thats what you mean.
myself i think Whitts was one of the few players during my time supporting the club that desreved far more respect and honesty.

a one year contract at greatly reduced wages knowing he isnt going to play him much.
and then in 1 years time who would want him.?
id rather Warnock be straight...than handle it { us } perfectly. had enough of this the last few managers.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:04 am

dogfound wrote:
City Slicker wrote:Warnock has handled this perfectly to my mind and I hope the guy signs for Blackburn (or whoever) soon before he changes his mind.

well he seems to have both offered him a contract.and it be one that pushes Whitts out. if thats what you mean.
myself i think Whitts was one of the few players during my time supporting the club that desreved far more respect and honesty.

a one year contract at greatly reduced wages knowing he isnt going to play him much.

Exactly, you're right. The guy offered Whittingham a contract which he felt to be fair to both player and club given the player's age, ability and likely contribution and, quite rightly it was the player's prerogative to accept it or not. If he feels he can do better elsewhere then he has to make his own decisions as he sees fit.

Warnock's first responsibility is to deliver success for Cardiff City by improving and motivating our squad of players. There is emphatically no room for sentiment and the manager does not deserve admonishment.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:15 am

City Slicker wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Exactly, you're right. The guy offered Whittingham a contract which he felt to be fair to both player and club given the player's age, ability and likely contribution and, quite rightly it was the player's prerogative to accept it or not. If he feels he can do better elsewhere then he has to make his own decisions as he sees fit.

Warnock's first responsibility is to deliver success for Cardiff City by improving and motivating our squad of players. There is emphatically no room for sentiment and the manager does not deserve admonishment.

one hundred percent behind Warnocks 1st priority being to club
i love Whitts but fully understand NW not wanting him.
its not about sentiment..its about honesty,respect {to both Whitts and us fans who generally see thrugh it }.
sorry ..but the contract was a PR exercise

Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:25 am

dogfound wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
dogfound wrote:

one hundred percent behind Warnocks 1st priority being to club
i love Whitts but fully understand NW not wanting him.
its not about sentiment..its about honesty,respect {to both Whitts and us fans who generally see thrugh it }.
sorry ..but the contract was a PR exercise

Again, you're absolutely correct. There is no room for sentiment and I have absolutely no doubt the contract disclosures were only for PR effect. Nonetheless, there is no censure to be directed at Warnock and he handled matters perfectly. I have no doubt we will have a better and more exciting squad next season.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:46 pm

Huge football fan so sad to see a footballer leave. I think we've all bought into Warnock and if he thinks the high tempo game is where we need to be i'll go along with it...

The only thing that concerns me is his replacement. Charlie Adam would have been an upgrade, same skills, same mobility but a nasty b*stard to boot. But Joe Ledley (before i watch the game) isn't Whitts replacement, hes Gunnars.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:09 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Huge football fan so sad to see a footballer leave. I think we've all bought into Warnock and if he thinks the high tempo game is where we need to be i'll go along with it...

The only thing that concerns me is his replacement. Charlie Adam would have been an upgrade, same skills, same mobility but a nasty b*stard to boot. But Joe Ledley (before i watch the game) isn't Whitts replacement, hes Gunnars.

i do know what you getting at...but Whitts wasnt a starter anymore under Warnock, so has already been replaced..

Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:51 pm

dogfound wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:Huge football fan so sad to see a footballer leave. I think we've all bought into Warnock and if he thinks the high tempo game is where we need to be i'll go along with it...

i do know what you getting at...but Whitts wasnt a starter anymore under Warnock, so has already been replaced..

But, we went out with a wimper. We are losing a cultured footballer for what.....Kick and rush

We got lucky, the penny dropped with Kenny, but fundamentally we have been a set play team for the last 5 years and i am concerned what happens after. How many set plays did we score from last season and how many were delivered by Whitts.

Holiett and Harris don't score and barely assist. Assuming we get Ledley a midfield of Ledley, Gunnar and Ralls with a top three of Holiett Harris and Zohore is mid table at best.

But, i trust Warnock, Fiver double on Blackburn promotion and us top 6

Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:12 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
dogfound wrote:

But, we went out with a wimper. We are losing a cultured footballer for what.....Kick and rush

We got lucky, the penny dropped with Kenny, but fundamentally we have been a set play team for the last 5 years and i am concerned what happens after. How many set plays did we score from last season and how many were delivered by Whitts.

Holiett and Harris don't score and barely assist. Assuming we get Ledley a midfield of Ledley, Gunnar and Ralls with a top three of Holiett Harris and Zohore is mid table at best.

But, i trust Warnock, Fiver double on Blackburn promotion and us top 6

you dont have to convince me id love us to have more quality..and was just pointing out Whitts lost his place a while back, so therefore whoever comes in will push someone else out.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:23 pm

Disgusting how this has all panned out, everyone at the Newcastle home game clapping off in 50/50 situation in regards to is he gonna be here next season or not.. I think when you served the amount of time he has his fate should have been decided before that last home game.. he openly told a fan who posted on here there was nothing offered at all and Warnock shouldn't have made it public knowledge he had contract offers to players already on the table when there weren't.

All Warnock did was speak to agents/family members of players just discussing the possibilities with no actual contract waiting for them..

I for one will be gutted if he does leave because I don't think there is sentiment behind this but he contributed to 14 goals with 7 goals and 7 assists which is the second best contribution to goals for us this season behind Zohore, Whittingham has played 800 minutes less than Ralls who we could say is the closest player to take over his duties when Whittingham is on the field. I think Whittingham in his 37 appearances he made 10 coming off the bench.

For me this is one for the supporters who think he shouldn't be here anymore which will come back to bite them when saying this when the season starts.. like where do people think the goals and assists are going to come from in midfield? Ralls? Gunnarsson?