Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

DUP / Wikileaks

Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:25 am

I haven't had a chnace to have a good look at them yet, but wikileaks have dumped everything they have on the DUP on the internet. I wonder if there is anything in there that will effect Theresa May's ability to form a government with their support?

Re: DUP / Wikileaks

Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:12 am

They'll demand money for NI plus a Brexit deal as right next to border .

They can make a wish list now .

Great deal for NI

Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:18 am

There are a number of issues which make this arrangement problematic. The most important being because it immediately calls in question the Government's necessary role as "honest brokers" in any deal which will allow the NI devolution process to restart. The only alternative to that is direct rule from Westminster with (in effect) a party to the NI devolved assembly able to exert extraordinary influence. A likely recipe for disaster.

Apart from that the DUP's stance on abortion, Gay marriage and Brexit will be unacceptable even to many Tories. If you include the Party's terrorist links, allegations of fraud and misuse of public funds and anti Catholic views, the whole situation looks tenuous.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:48 am

The Good Friday agreement says the Westminster Government should remain independent and neutral.
so, How the hell can they be in a loose coalition and remain neutral ?
I have to admit that I was totally taken in by this woman and still think she was the better of the two options but my view now is that she has to go for the countries sake.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:51 am

Scottish Conservative leader Ruth Davidson is partial to drinking from the furry cup, the DUP consider rug munchin a sin........could be trouble ahead.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:14 pm

Historically the DUP are born out of the fundamentalist Protestant church set up by Paisley Snr.
In the 70s they were strongly involved in both loyalist workers' strikes against power sharing.
They worked in close conjunction with the paramilitary group the UDA. The latter set up road blocks throughout the province, while Paisley actually took over towns like Ballymena.
Though Paisley did work very closely with Martin MacGuinness, a great deal has changed with the death of both.
They are homophobic, anti-Gaelic language and mostly climate change deniers.
Yes, there will be many Tories very uncomfortable with all this, not least their one real success story of the election, Ruth Davidson.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Tories are moribund. Last death gasps methinks. Let's all look forward to a Brave New World without these parisitic twats!

Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:55 pm

City Slicker wrote:Tories are moribund. Last death gasps methinks. Let's all look forward to a Brave New World without these parisitic twats!

hear hear mate. DUP not able to take part in English law so May now has a minority government outside of Brexit and DUP promised a soft Brexit in its manifesto so no mandate for May or whoever decides to stab her in the back in their blind bid for power. Thankfully they are finished and no amount of FB postings by Britain First or the other hate promoting groups loved by so many here will make a blind bit of difference. Well done the people of the UK for finally seeing them for what they are.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:00 am

That DUP sound a horrible lot...especially since Islam has embraced LBGT, and allowed same sex marriage in the mosques.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:47 am

Great deal for the north how the hell can you think that?all i can see is friction on its way,having lived in the north through the troubles surely that is the last thing anyone should want to go back to, but unfortunately that is all i can see under this agreement

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:23 pm

rumpo kid wrote:That DUP sound a horrible lot...especially since Islam has embraced LBGT, and allowed same sex marriage in the mosques.

Islam has embraced LBGT :lol: tell me you don't actually believe that. A handful of forward thinking Imans does not represent Islam.