Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Should we have a referendum on the Brexit exit

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:31 am

As we have signed A50 and we are leaving the EU on 29 March 2019, should the country and not politicians vote on the deal ?

Accept the deal or leave on WTO rules ?

It would stop the politicians selling out either way. It would focus minds on the EU and our team to get a fair deal.

Re: Should we have a referendum on the Brexit exit

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am

Perhaps we could have a referendum to see if we should have a referendum on the referendum we had on Brexit :laughing6:

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:52 am

I would like a referendum on whether we should ban politics on here. Are you in or out? :lol:

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:21 pm

llan bluebird wrote:As we have signed A50 and we are leaving the EU on 29 March 2019, should the country and not politicians vote on the deal ?

It would stop the politicians selling out either way. It would focus minds on the EU and our team to get a fair deal.

Of course we should. Nobody in their right minds should trust May and her team to negotiate anything on behalf of the British people - she has shown she is totally inept at pretty much everything she says and does.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:30 pm

llan bluebird wrote:As we have signed A50 and we are leaving the EU on 29 March 2019, should the country and not politicians vote on the deal ?

No more votes! We had our opportunity. Not many asked 'how' at the time, so most effectively voted 'blind' yet still took a decision to walk away from the EU

I voted "Brexit' after some consideration and I hold to my original views (with slight reservations on some areas) as to why I personally felt it was the best decision of the UK

The vote was put out there, the people listened to some pretty unbalanced arguments at times, the vote was held and the majority decision was to leave the EU

It wasn't a complicated vote. I was just a simple stay or go(?) and it's now up to this weakened Government to deliver the best deal they can

Having signed Article 50, we are no longer in a position to pick and choose whether we 'accept' the deal or not. Leaving is a done deal and both sides just need to sit down and be mature about it in the best interests of all nations and their citizens. Not an easy task but (despite some mischief out there and on here) no one is going to sell us down the river from THIS side of the English Channel. Simply not in the UK's (or their own political) interests!

Time to move on and I'm starting to edge towards norms76 views on political threads lately though! :roll:

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:43 pm

I don't think a referendum on the deal is workable. What if the people don't like it but want to suggest changes? The referendum was a stupid decision in the first place. To give the power to decide to the people and do next to nothing to educate them on what staying or leaving meant was ridiculous. Imagine giving the people the power to say whether we take a deal or not. It would be a complete farce.

I do think that a deal should have approval from parliament. I don't just mean over 50% approval. I mean a vast majority such as 75%-80%. Leave the finer details with the professionals now in my opinion. Apologise for the dubious use of the word "professionals" there!

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:48 pm

Zabier wrote:I don't think a referendum on the deal is workable. What if the people don't like it but want to suggest changes? The referendum was a stupid decision in the first place. To give the power to decide to the people and do next to nothing to educate them on what staying or leaving meant was ridiculous. Imagine giving the people the power to say whether we take a deal or not. It would be a complete farce.

I do think that a deal should have approval from parliament. I don't just mean over 50% approval. I mean a vast majority such as 75%-80%. Leave the finer details with the professionals now in my opinion. Apologise for the dubious use of the word "professionals" there!

Michael Give won't like the reference to "professionals". Who needs "experts"? :lol:

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:24 pm

Britain voted to exit and Britain voted for the Torries so that what we'll have to live with. Plus I don't think I can handle much more politics on here.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:24 pm

We can't have a vote, it should be for the MPs to decide. However, if we do end up on WTO rules, we are fucked. With May still clinging on to power, things are going to get very dicey, very quickly.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:37 pm

No :bluebird:

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:17 pm

Definitely noooo! Things are hard enough without having every Tom dick or harry wanting their two penneth worth? There is a process it's not perfect but it's better than free for all! :dontknow:

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:27 pm

Zabier wrote:I don't think a referendum on the deal is workable. What if the people don't like it but want to suggest changes? The referendum was a stupid decision in the first place. To give the power to decide to the people and do next to nothing to educate them on what staying or leaving meant was ridiculous. Imagine giving the people the power to say whether we take a deal or not. It would be a complete farce.

agree with lots of this and infact didnt vote on leave or remain for the above reasons..lots of scaremongering and lots of promises from both sides with the other side then counter claiming .
i think your final paragraph is asking too much though . we will be lucky to get 50% of MPs to agree on anything that is agreed in Brusels...i think May has an unenviable task ahead and what ever deal is reached will go too far for some and nowhere near far enough for others.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:37 pm

i didnt think i or anyone else had enough info to vote on it so i didnt.

but i did 100% think leave meant leave.. where all this cherry picking has come from i dont know ,this half in half out certainly wasnt mentioned during the campaigns.
wouldnt it have been nice if for once we had a campaign with pros and cons spelt out. or honestly debated instead of the rubbish we got served up.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:08 pm

dogfound wrote:

but i did 100% think leave meant leave.. where all this cherry picking has come from i dont know ,this half in half out certainly wasnt mentioned during the campaigns.
wouldnt it have been nice if for once we had a campaign with pros and cons spelt out. or honestly debated instead of the rubbish we got served up.

I amongst all the lies and spin and exaggerations, there was a debate during the Brexit camapign about the merits or otherwise of different models if the outcome was leave. There was discussion about the Norway, Switzerland, Turkey and Canada models for a start - all countries outside the EU but with different legal/trade relationships. There was some discussion about the options for staying in the Single Market and Customs Union after leaving, and the pros/cons of the WTO fall back (not many pros).

But the ballot paper just offered 'stay' or 'leave'. Ever since we have had everyone and their dog telling us what version of Brexit it was we voted for - all with total confidence that everyone else had the same understanding as them in the polling booth - and that applies to Joe and Jane Public as much as politicians on both sides of the argument.

I don't think we can or should have another referendum on the final deal - impractical - but we do need cross party involvement in the negotiations (even if that is only in reviewing and re-framing the strategy) and a proper debate and vote in the Commons on the proposed deal - with enough time for the negotiators to have another round of talks if necessary. Time will be a major problem, though. There was never going to be much progress until October (after the German elections), but the complication of a minority UK government on the ropes and reliant on continual reference to a soft Brexit ally in the DUP is going to slow everything down even more. A total mess.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:21 pm

The only way brexit will be successful is by having a seperate brexit team negotiating the deal. The team should be represented by a cross section of all major political parties plus law and financial institutes.

This country has some brilliant people but are currently devided.

It didnt matter who won the election working seperatly will fail.

They need to be brought together for this one task following a strict policy not to deviate from the ultimate goal. That is leaving the eu hopefully with a trade deal in place, bringing law making back under british control and drastically reducing imigration

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:51 pm

jon1959 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I amongst all the lies and spin and exaggerations, there was a debate during the Brexit camapign about the merits or otherwise of different models if the outcome was leave. There was discussion about the Norway, Switzerland, Turkey and Canada models for a start - all countries outside the EU but with different legal/trade relationships. There was some discussion about the options for staying in the Single Market and Customs Union after leaving, and the pros/cons of the WTO fall back (not many pros).

But the ballot paper just offered 'stay' or 'leave'. Ever since we have had everyone and their dog telling us what version of Brexit it was we voted for - all with total confidence that everyone else had the same understanding as them in the polling booth - and that applies to Joe and Jane Public as much as politicians on both sides of the argument.

I don't think we can or should have another referendum on the final deal - impractical - but we do need cross party involvement in the negotiations (even if that is only in reviewing and re-framing the strategy) and a proper debate and vote in the Commons on the proposed deal - with enough time for the negotiators to have another round of talks if necessary. Time will be a major problem, though. There was never going to be much progress until October (after the German elections), but the complication of a minority UK government on the ropes and reliant on continual reference to a soft Brexit ally in the DUP is going to slow everything down even more. A total mess.

yes there was some of your mentioned debate. but surely those only come into play after we leave..
seems to me remain have hijacked the leave vote into us clinging on to as much as possible.
personally im not convinced leaving or staying is the correct thing.,
but yes a giant mess...

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:36 pm

I was Team Remain, but the referendum is done. Sure people voted on a lie, but if we go back on that, we may as well go back on nearly every single elected Prime Minister.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:00 am

dogfound wrote:
jon1959 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

yes there was some of your mentioned debate. but surely those only come into play after we leave..
seems to me remain have hijacked the leave vote into us clinging on to as much as possible.
but yes a giant mess...

Even the most impartial figures have said leaving is going to be extremely complicated, and whatever way you spin it, we aren't in a position to start. May had an uphill battle beforehand, and now she's delayed it further. Honestly, the whole thing has been an absolute shambles. It is going to be an absolute minefield and the EU already have their position and have had for months. We've had a year and are no closer to knowing the first thing about it.

It will damage the country because it is such a shambles. Article 50 is 2 years for a reason, so that it is a deterrent from leaving, as it is not long enough to sort out a trade deal. I really wish the last two Tory leaders had put the country first instead of their personal gain.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:54 am

I think we should have a referendum on whether we shod have a referendum about the referendum we already had.
And if we don't get the result we want then we should have a referendum about having a referendum on every referendum we have a referendum about.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:59 am

nubbsy wrote:Britain voted to exit and Britain voted for the Torries so that what we'll have to live with. Plus I don't think I can handle much more politics on here.

Agree mate, I'm fed up of hearing about it all and the shit people come out with aswell.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:14 am

petesmeat wrote:
dogfound wrote:
jon1959 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

but yes a giant mess...

Even the most impartial figures have said leaving is going to be extremely complicated, and whatever way you spin it, we aren't in a position to start. May had an uphill battle beforehand, and now she's delayed it further. Honestly, the whole thing has been an absolute shambles. It is going to be an absolute minefield and the EU already have their position and have had for months. We've had a year and are no closer to knowing the first thing about it.

It will damage the country because it is such a shambles. Article 50 is 2 years for a reason, so that it is a deterrent from leaving, as it is not long enough to sort out a trade deal. I really wish the last two Tory leaders had put the country first instead of their personal gain.

not so sure...my initial take on having a referendum was that these sort of decisions should be taken by the MPs we elect . but the fact the turn out was high and the result was one that most politicians didnt see coming sugests that maybe it was correct to have one.
whats happened since. well. it really does seem to me that the remain camp have hijacked the vote. hard brexit,soft brexit, cherry picking bits to keep. and just to muddy the waters even more the electorate have come up with last Thursdays result..
we are going to end up with a wishy washy brexit that hardly anyone agrees with. but also think it would be exactly the same had there been a labour ,SNP, alliance. and only very slightly better if TM had her majority.
the problem was not the referendum as such..the problem is there is no political party thats 100% prepared to push for out meaning out or even believes in Brexit...i didnt vote myself but i do think that democracy should win and it isnt going to.