Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Ex Cardiff City Star Was Taunted "

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Aaron Ramsey reveals he decided on outrageous Panenka penalty after taunts from Serbian goalkeeper

The Serbian goalkeeper's tactics backfired spectacularly

Monday 12th June 2017

By Chris Wathan

Aaron Ramsey has revealed how he was taunted by Serbia's goalkeeper before the Wales star's outrageous Panenka penalty in Belgrade.

But the midfielder has confirmed he had no idea of the added significance of scoring the dinked spot-kick at the same ground it was first seen by the world.

Ramsey caused a shock when injury-hit Wales grabbed a lead through a first-half penalty, with the 26-year-old audaciously finding the net with a repeat of the penalty technique first made famous by Czech star Antoin Panenka.

It's thought his groundbreaking penalty – scored in the final of the European Championship final in 1976 – was from the same end of the Red Star Stadium, though Wales manager Chris Coleman had suggested Ramsey wouldn't have been aware before he stepped up to score the opener in Wales' 1-1 draw on Sunday night.

And instead Ramsey has revealed how he made his mind up to try the stunt following attempts at mind games from Serbia's goalkeeper, Vladimir Stojkovic.

The playmaker said: “The keeper asked for the ball so I gave him the ball and he said: 'I’m going to stay in the middle, you’re going to go down the middle.' So I went in the right hand corner. Thankfully it went in.

“It wasn't until afterwards it was mentioned about Panenka scoring here, but it's nice touch if that's the case. I just wanted t score and I felt calm and confident about it.”

Ramsey – who has scored and missed penalties for Wales over the years – admitted he has never tried the Panenka style, trademarked by sending the keeper the wrong way as Stojkovic duly did, left on his backside seeing the ball nestle at the other end of the net.

Aaron Ramsey scores a penalty for Wales against Serbia
But the 48-cap star said: “I knew what I was going to do before stepping up and I'm happy it went in.

“It's a risk of missing with those, but I go out there to enjoy myself as well and although it was a big occasion and a big moment in the campaign for us, I felt calm and comfortable about it.

“I'm just gutted we couldn't hold on for the win, but it was a good point for us in the end.”

Coleman insisted he had full faith in the midfielder to deliver from 12 yards and described his performance as outstanding, with Ramsey answering questions over whether he would be able to take on the added responsibility in Gareth Bale's absence through suspension.

But Ramsey insisted it was a collective effort as he eyes World Cup qualification, adding: “I think this team is fantastic and there is a lot of quality in it. Just look at the level they are all playing at.

“Gareth is going to be a massive miss for anybody in the world, whatever team, but we came here and got a result without him, that just shows the strength that we have. We have a load of youngsters with us as well, which I think has stepped up the quality again so I think we are in a good position at the moment.

“We have a double header now in September, I know we lose Joe Allen for the first game, but we are looking forward to it.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Ex Cardiff City Star Was Taunted "

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Top performance from Wales last night and what a legend of a penalty :)

I also have to give credit to the ref who managed the game well in a very hostile environment.

Safe trip home all Wales fans.