Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

"I Fancy An Overseas Challenge" Says Ledley

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:15 pm

IMG_1858.JPG

Wales midfielder Joe Ledley could be tempted by a move abroad as he weighs up his career options this summer.

Ledley made nearly 100 appearances for Crystal Palace after joining from Celtic in January 2014.

But he was frozen out by then-Eagles boss Sam Allardyce during the second half of the 2016-17 season and released by the Premier League club last week.

“It’s been frustrating,” Ledley said after helping Wales to a 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw in Serbia on Sunday night.

“I don’t know why I’ve not been even in the squads, but it was the decision of the manager and I had to deal with it and get on with it. Things move on, I’ve left and hopefully I can get a new team now.

“It’s definitely for the best. I spent three-and-a-half years at the club and gave my all there and I think the fans know that.

“But when you’re not getting picked for as long as I wasn’t then you have to do something about it. I need to be playing, especially at my age having turned 30 now. I want to continue playing for as long as I can.”

Ledley started out at his hometown club Cardiff and there was talk that he could return to the Sky Bet Championship side.

But that emotional return has been ruled out and Ledley says clubs have already shown an interest in him, including many from overseas.

He said: “There’s been clubs in touch with my agent all over the world.

“I’d be prepared to go abroad, I think it would appeal to me, especially having played international football because I love playing on that stage and I think it suits the way I play.

“There’s been Championship and Premier League clubs in touch, a lot of interest, but I want to have a good summer with the family first. I’ll see the options I have and go from there.”

Ledley’s last game for Palace was over four months ago at the start of February. In that time he has played only twice as Wales drew in the Republic of Ireland and Serbia to keep their World Cup hopes alive.

Yet he still managed to last the full game in the sapping Belgrade heat on Sunday.

“I wasn’t surprised I played 90 minutes, I’ve got it in me to do that,” Ledley said.

“I know I haven’t played much football this season, I should have, there were reasons that it did not happen. But I felt good out there, especially with Joe (Allen) alongside me. He helped me through it.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: I Fancy An Overseas Challenge Says Ledley

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:26 pm

Why do people blatantly lie on this forum?

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:59 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:Why do people blatantly lie on this forum?

Bizzare isn't it. Apparently the deal was 95% done and he is desperate to live back in south Wales?

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:16 pm

It's odd. I don't get it.
The only thing it can possibly be is Ledley (if everything said on here is true) is trying to get himself better deal with us.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:28 am

nubbsy wrote:

Bizzare isn't it. Apparently the deal was 95% done and he is desperate to live back in south Wales?

Jack, they've all gone missing again...! ;)

I'll not deny that I'll be pleased if this article is the genuine one! :thumbup:

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:35 am

Sven wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

I'll not deny that I'll be pleased if this article is the genuine one! :thumbup:

Chris, I initially thought it would be a good deal if he took a pay cut but seeing how much football he's played in the last 3 years i'm not sure. But then I think he's better on the ball than gunnar (but doesnt have the legs) and a better back option to Halford...

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:58 am

nubbsy wrote:
Sven wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

Chris, I initially thought it would be a good deal if he took a pay cut but seeing how much football he's played in the last 3 years i'm not sure. But then I think he's better on the ball than gunnar (but doesnt have the legs) and a better back option to Halford...

Agree with all of that :thumbup:

Taking away my feelings on his original departure, I just don't see how Joe would improve things overall. He would IMHO be a bit of a (possibly expensive) gamble. Neil Warnock could do with spending any money he has available in other areas; or maybe even on a more productive midfielder now it looks like Whitts is actually going

I'm sure Neil Warnock knows what is needed more than I do. I'm told his football knowledge is right up there and almost on a par (but not quite) with certain members of this Forum! ;) :laughing6:

Re: "I Fancy An Overseas Challenge" Says Ledley

Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:31 am

Nubbsy, I 100% agree with everything you said there :thumbup:

Ps Joe, I don't want to burst your bubble but I can't see Zidane picking the phone up any time soon. soz.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:55 am

nubbsy wrote:

It's all guesswork and hearsay from the usual posters.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:07 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

We go through all this stuff every single Summer. If you name enough players who are going to sign for us, the chances are you will get one right eventually. Perhaps he will sign for us, I personally hope not, but whatever he does he will be one of a few hundred players who are 95% certain to join us. We will have one massive squad by August but nobody to play, none of the other teams will have any players, they will all be here.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:21 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

We go through all this stuff every single Summer. If you name enough players who are going to sign for us, the chances are you will get one right eventually. Perhaps he will sign for us, I personally hope not, but whatever he does he will be one of a few hundred players who are 95% certain to join us. We will have one massive squad by August but nobody to play, none of the other teams will have any players, they will all be here.

Totally agree, decent out of contract players will use their agents to talk to numerous clubs...Warnock has probably spoken to maybe 20/30 players or players agents over the past 3 weeks...just because he has spoken with them doesn't mean they are 95% sure to join us...far from it.
The Ledley link was always going to happen and I'm sure there have been discussions, but can't see it happening I would guess we are after a more creative midfielder

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:26 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

Totally agree, decent out of contract players will use their agents to talk to numerous clubs...Warnock has probably spoken to maybe 20/30 players or players agents over the past 3 weeks...just because he has spoken with them doesn't mean they are 95% sure to join us...far from it.
The Ledley link was always going to happen and I'm sure there have been discussions, but can't see it happening I would guess we are after a more creative midfielder

But it's not just the links that Steve and myself are talking about it's the clowns on here that go on like - 'he's bought a house in Penarth ' - 'he wants to come' - etc. etc.
It's all bollocks and guesswork.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:19 am

When he says 'overseas' he means back over the Bristol Channel :)

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:37 am

norms76 wrote:
IMG_1858.JPG

Wales midfielder Joe Ledley could be tempted by a move abroad as he weighs up his career options this summer.

Ledley made nearly 100 appearances for Crystal Palace after joining from Celtic in January 2014.

But he was frozen out by then-Eagles boss Sam Allardyce during the second half of the 2016-17 season and released by the Premier League club last week.

“It’s been frustrating,” Ledley said after helping Wales to a 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw in Serbia on Sunday night.

“I don’t know why I’ve not been even in the squads, but it was the decision of the manager and I had to deal with it and get on with it. Things move on, I’ve left and hopefully I can get a new team now.

“It’s definitely for the best. I spent three-and-a-half years at the club and gave my all there and I think the fans know that.

“But when you’re not getting picked for as long as I wasn’t then you have to do something about it. I need to be playing, especially at my age having turned 30 now. I want to continue playing for as long as I can.”

Ledley started out at his hometown club Cardiff and there was talk that he could return to the Sky Bet Championship side.

But that emotional return has been ruled out and Ledley says clubs have already shown an interest in him, including many from overseas.

He said: “There’s been clubs in touch with my agent all over the world.

“I’d be prepared to go abroad, I think it would appeal to me, especially having played international football because I love playing on that stage and I think it suits the way I play.

“There’s been Championship and Premier League clubs in touch, a lot of interest, but I want to have a good summer with the family first. I’ll see the options I have and go from there.”

Ledley’s last game for Palace was over four months ago at the start of February. In that time he has played only twice as Wales drew in the Republic of Ireland and Serbia to keep their World Cup hopes alive.

Yet he still managed to last the full game in the sapping Belgrade heat on Sunday.

“I wasn’t surprised I played 90 minutes, I’ve got it in me to do that,” Ledley said.

“I know I haven’t played much football this season, I should have, there were reasons that it did not happen. But I felt good out there, especially with Joe (Allen) alongside me. He helped me through it.”

Good,bon voyage Joe

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:47 am

Ledleys first choice was Cardiff City, but was Ledley, Cardiff City's (Warnock) first choice?

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Philippine blue wrote:When he says 'overseas' he means back over the Bristol Channel :)

Or perhaps he counts Barry Island as overseas? :bluescarf:

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:21 pm

griff105 wrote:
Philippine blue wrote:When he says 'overseas' he means back over the Bristol Channel :)

Or perhaps he counts Barry Island as overseas? :bluescarf:

Or Sully Island when the tide's in?? Do they have a team?? :laughing6: :laughing6:

Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:38 pm

Probably wanted to move to us ,then realised the gravy train is over.
Would rather us look at an up and coming youngster from league 1.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:43 pm

95% deal done wasn't it ?

I take it the both the club and manager didn't want him making them the 5% ?

Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:19 pm

;)