Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WHITTS LEFT CITY BECAUSE HE 'JUST WANTED TO PLAY'

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:30 pm

PETER WHITTINGHAM 'JUST WANTS TO PLAY' SAYS CARDIFF CITY BOSS NEIL WARNOCK

Wednesday 14th June 2017

Warnock and Whitts.jpg

Manager Neil Warnock has said Cardiff City could not guarantee regular football to midfielder Peter Whittingham.

Whittingham, 32, has joined League One Blackburn after a decade at Cardiff.

"He wants to play and he's got a two-year contract offered to him, and you've got to take your hat off to that," Warnock said.

"I think he's realised he's not going to be instrumental in playing every week here."

The Cardiff boss also said he hopes to sign two players within the week but says Aberdeen's Jonny Hayes is unlikely to join.

Whittingham, who made 450 appearances following his arrival from Aston Villa in January 2007, was offered reduced terms by the Bluebirds.

But Warnock denied financial reasons where behind the former England Under-21 international's decision to drop down a division and join Rovers on a two-year deal.

"His agent said to me it was similar terms to what we offered him," Warnock told BBC Wales Sport.

gettyimages-527071978.jpg

"I think Peter could have played a part next year but I don't think we could, at this stage, offer him a two-year deal.

"You could see last year how frustrated he was at not being able to play and not being in that starting 11.

"Probably going down a division gives him more opportunity as well to play and you've just got to accept he's at the stage of his career where you do want to play.

"A lot of people don't even think about playing and they just go for money, but that's not Peter.

"Peter just wants to play and you've got to take your hat off to him. Good luck to him, sometimes you need a little challenge later on in your career."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.