Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

How on Earth can this be?

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:15 pm

How on Earth can this be?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: how the hell can this be?

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:33 pm

Maybe you should add overpaid footballers to the top of list.
The guys girls who put there lives on the line everyday have always been underpaid.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:49 pm

You don't need any qualifications to become a member of a response team though, just training paid for by the state.

It costs each individual MP about £35,000 of their own money to become an MP, which will be based in London where house prices and rental prices are around 250% higher than in other towns and cities in the UK where the average salary is taken from to make up the numbers for the response teams you have listed there.

Adjust the amount they get paid and you would open a whole can of worms, doctors, nurses, teachers, surgeons, army, lumberjacks, gas workers, builders, steelworkers etc etc (i.e. anyone with a "noble" or "risky" job) would all have a case for a rise in pay - which would then just in turn increase the rate of inflation and the pay rises would mean nothing, just helping to cripple the economy.

Sports men and women are different entities as the sport is generating its own funds, like private business salaries.

I don't see a problem in the salaries to be honest. I do question the level of ability of certain MP's though, so its more a case of some of them not deserving of the role rather than an issue with the salary the role should command.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:00 pm

That graphic is also misleading due to the brackets. It has quoted the top bracket for an MP and the lowest bracket in some of the others.

MP - £67,000 - £74,000 (London based)

Paramedic - Paramedic salaries start in Band 5, which ranges from £21,909 to £28,462. For team leaders or senior paramedics who have undertaken extended skills training in critical care or trauma, salaries are in Band 6, which fall between £26,302 and £35,225. (This will not take into consideration the higher wage paid in London based paramedic jobs)

Police Officer - Constable is the lowest pay grade. However you work your way up tyrough the 7 ranks of constable. The bracket as you work your way through is:- £22,000 - £40,000 (obviously London based jobs will be higher on the scale than the rest of UK)

Fire Fighter - The average mean Fire Fighter (fire service officers) full time annual salary in the UK is £33,018 and the median £32,946 for part time employees this drops to a mean of £18,067.

For men the mean full time salary of £33,087 is 4% higher than the full time mean for women £32,490.

This is calculated on the basis of different levels of Fire Fighter jobs in the UK and is based on the provisional ONS dataset (Occupation (4 digit SOC) – ASHE: Table 14) which was released on 26 October 2016.

Usually, the starting salary is around 21,000 for an entry level, graduate or junior firefighter. However, this salary scale can be around £36,365-£40,109 for a senior firefighter . For more accurate information on firefighter salaries, please simple make a job search; as the job posts in the UK usually state the salaries. (Again London firefighters will be higher on the scale).

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:02 pm

A firefighter in London where MP's are based can start on £33k and it rises proportionally with experience and qualifications and a fast rate with training paid for by the tax payer. Salaries can increase substantially with a station manager in London getting around 70k.

Those figures you've quoted are not London salaries as snaxajax points out.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:06 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:A firefighter in London where MP's are based can start on £33k and it rises proportionally with experience and qualifications and a fast rate with training paid for by the tax payer. Salaries can increase substantially with a station manager in London getting around 70k.

Those figures you've quoted are not London salaries as snaxajax points out.

But no doubt you have morons sharing that in their droves on social media.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:06 pm

That snackajack fella is one sad troll. All that effort, it's cringe factor 10!

WTF?

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:08 pm

JimmyJazz wrote:That snackajack fella is one sad troll. All that effort, it's cringe factor 10!

WTF?

A troll for pointing out that the graphic is not factual but indeed propaganda for the moronic? What effort, look at the timings between the posts, a couole of minutes to check the autheniticity is all it took my friend.

So that is the definition of a troll? Aye ok :laughing6:

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:11 pm

SnackaJack wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote:That snackajack fella is one sad troll. All that effort, it's cringe factor 10!

WTF?

A troll for pointing out that the graphic is not factual but indeed propaganda for the moronic? What effort, look at the timings between the posts, a couole of minutes to check the autheniticity is all it took my friend.

Troll? Aye ok :laughing6:

You sad Roathy lookeelikee- indeed you probably are Roathy.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:13 pm

I will take that as a compliment. :thumbright:

Seems common sense is cryptonite on this forum. :laughing6:

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:38 pm

MPs are permitted to claim more than £20,000 a year in London rent, and £150 a night for hotels. The practice is allowed under rules set by expenses watchdog, the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa).

They get to have a house in their constituency and claim for accommodation in London. Not really.paying for their accommodation in London are they?

This was why there was an expenses scandal with MP's having mortgages on two properties one of which was paid with expenses and they then benefitted from the increased value when it was sold.

Every post can be picked apart for not being factual.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:44 pm

Wayne S wrote:MPs are permitted to claim more than £20,000 a year in London rent, and £150 a night for hotels. The practice is allowed under rules set by expenses watchdog, the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa).

They get to have a house in their constituency and claim for accommodation in London. Not really.paying for their accommodation in London are they?

This was why there was an expenses scandal with MP's having mortgages on two properties one of which was paid with expenses and they then benefitted from the increased value when it was sold.

Every post can be picked apart for not being factual.

A factual post can not be picked apart for not being factual. A post intended to deceive can be though, with relative ease.

Expenses and salary are two differing things. If the post asked should MP's have "lavish" expense accounts then the answer would be a resounding no, by almost all.

The fact it compared the very top MP London wage with the very bottom rest of UK wage for entry level response teams did it no favours. Especially when it said "how can this be??"... Well the reply is easy, The salaries for all concerned are pretty much fine.

The expenses are a separate subject (which wasnt mentioned in the OP), and of course is something that has been and will continue to be wrongly exploited.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:35 pm

SnackaJack wrote:
Wayne S wrote:MPs are permitted to claim more than £20,000 a year in London rent........

A factual post can not be picked apart for not being factual....

Don't be such a pedant.

YOU were the one who brought up how costly it would be for an MP to live in London. YOU were the one who was embellishing your "facts" by giving the impression that an MP had to to pay for accommodation from their wages.

So your "facts" are not like for like are they.

The emergency services pay is BEFORE taking into consideration a roof over their head while an MP's pay is what they get AFTER payments for accommodation.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:47 pm

Wayne S wrote:
SnackaJack wrote:
Wayne S wrote:MPs are permitted to claim more than £20,000 a year in London rent........

A factual post can not be picked apart for not being factual....

Don't be such a pedant.

YOU were the one who brought up how costly it would be for an MP to live in London. YOU were the one who was embellishing your "facts" by giving the impression that an MP had to to pay for accommodation from their wages.

So your "facts" are not like for like are they.

The emergency services pay is BEFORE taking into consideration a roof over their head while an MP's pay is what they get AFTER payments for accommodation.

Pedant? You clearly arent grasping this if you think this is pedantry. I am simply telling you simple straight facts, in a thread intended to misinform.

ANY job based in London has a higher basic salary due to London living costs. This debate was based on SALARY not expenses. The comparitive SALARIES for a London MP and entry level UK response teams are about right, this is due to costs of job and location.

So salaries are fine. Expenses are a different matter, they are optional perks, it is not a salary. Many MP's own their own home already and do not claim this expense.

Feel free to ask permission of the OP to change the whole topic to "should MP's get expenses" and we will have a completely differing debate.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Just to add, you are also speaking like someone who has never lived in London. I lived there and paid £1100 per month for a double room in a nice area with me and my partner. If someone has a family of 4 for example, they could quite easily have to pay £2000-£2500+ per month for rent. The MP expenses permit up to £1550 per month. So although their rent is subsidised by their allowances, they are probably still paying the same or even double the rent of your average UK family home in a nice area. I think I paid £550 for my apartment in Cardiff bay for example.

This is why salary and expenses are completely different entities.

Re: How on Earth can this be?

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:51 pm

You vote and support the tories yet complain about the wages of the elite! You couldn't make it up. Total hypocrisy!

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:05 pm

Only thing worse than a left wing liberal spouting the politics of envy and that is a right winger doing the same thing

Its a free country is you want to become a MP, copper or fireman become one, the ceiling is on your mind.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:27 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Only thing worse than a left wing liberal spouting the politics of envy and that is a right winger doing the same thing

Its a free country is you want to become a MP, copper or fireman become one, the ceiling is on your mind.

Agree with that Llan. Although would say an MP is slightly different, it is a bit of an elitist profession as you need 10's of thousands to be able to become one.

But the world is most certainly your oyster. Its usually the poor that complain about wages, then when you ask how they did at school they say things like ''I could never be bothered in school''. You get out of life what you put in. If you want a good job then work for it.

Obviously there are exceptions but there are far too many in the UK desperate to pull people down instead of aspiring to become well paid themselves.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:42 pm

Whether or not certain people think these salaries are a fair reflection of the work carried out is irrelevant to a certain extent. You know roughly how much each job will pay before you apply for it. If you feel that a particular job is not offering you a salary that you believe is fair for the type of work you will be required to do, you apply for something different. It may involve additional studies, having to go to night school or whatever, and will almost certainly mean you are going to have to work hard to get where you want to be. I do not see a problem with that, but I know there are people around who are envious of those who busted a gut to get where they are, despite the fact that they had no real ambitions or the will to work to get to these positions themselves.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:57 am

SnackaJack wrote:..... Its usually the poor that complain about wages, then when you ask how they did at school they say things like ''I could never be bothered in school''. You get out of life what you put in. If you want a good job then work for it.

Obviously there are exceptions but there are far too many in the UK desperate to pull people down instead of aspiring to become well paid themselves.

Yet more generalised sweeping statements from someone who purports to talk about facts.

"It's usually the poor who complain about wages".

"I could never be bothered in school"

You then say that there are exceptions........ NO, you have quoted the exceptions. Most people leave school qualified based on their ability and NOT on their effort. That ability can then be enhanced by the abilities of the teachers and education is NOT on a level playing field for all.

But we digress from the OP's topic yet again. Which you like to point out yet don't stick to yourself.

Ever thought of being an MP.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:38 am

Wayne S wrote:
SnackaJack wrote:..... Its usually the poor that complain about wages, then when you ask how they did at school they say things like ''I could never be bothered in school''. You get out of life what you put in. If you want a good job then work for it.

Yet more generalised sweeping statements from someone who purports to talk about facts.

"It's usually the poor who complain about wages".

"I could never be bothered in school"

You then say that there are exceptions........ NO, you have quoted the exceptions. Most people leave school qualified based on their ability and NOT on their effort. That ability can then be enhanced by the abilities of the teachers and education is NOT on a level playing field for all.

But we digress from the OP's topic yet again. Which you like to point out yet don't stick to yourself.

Ever thought of being an MP.

Nothing is generalised, nothing is sweeping. I have stated it is not the case for all, you really need to read what has been said before getting all excited. I deal in simple facts.

Qualifications are achieved by a mix of effort and ability, the former being far more important than the latter. Those with learning difficulties are the exception, everyone else should be able to leave school sufficiently qualified to achieve what they want, school is a very basic level of work and comprehension. It is application, determination and effort that drive people on or hold them back. Those that complain about people on higher wages usually clearly lacked one of the 3 in those important years, and usually still lack them and as a result decide to moan about others getting more rather than striving to do the same.

I haven't drifted from the OP at all young man, I am replying to posts in a flowing conversation. You have drifted from the OP salary comparisons with your expenses posts and now your posts about asking me if I ever wanted to be an MP and whatever else point you attempted to make.

To answer your question, I wouldnt like to limit myself to a salary band. Not only do I dislike politics, I would find it quite annoying that I can only earn a maximum. I would prefer there be no ceiling and what I put in I get out. Which is the attitude of all hard working and ultimately successful people.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:32 pm

SnackaJack wrote:I will take that as a compliment. :thumbright:

It's the morons who spell Kryptonite with a C who really make me laugh!

People should have more aspiration to be well educated! :lol:

Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Plynlymonbluebird wrote:

woooooosh :laughing6:

Kryptonite is the substance that hurts Superman in a fictional film. Cryptionite (c for common sense) is the force of common sense that seems destructive on this forum.

Keep up at the back :thumbup:

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:10 pm

SnackaJack wrote:
Plynlymonbluebird wrote:

woooooosh :laughing6:

Kryptonite is the substance that hurts Superman in a fictional film. Cryptionite (c for common sense) is the force of common sense that seems destructive on this forum.

Keep up at the back :thumbup:

Cryptonite it's is as real as the Ayatollah Khaneni!!!

Keep up your studies!

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:16 pm

And as real as subtle quips in some peoples minds. Although I guess that is natural wit and not taught in school, so all is forgiven. :laughing6:

Thanks for your continued interest though, your enthusiasm is noted.

B+ :thumbup:

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:36 pm

SnackaJack wrote:And as real as subtle quips in some peoples minds. Although I guess that is natural wit and not taught in school, so all is forgiven. :laughing6:

Thanks for your continued interest though, your enthusiasm is noted.

B+ :thumbup:

Never heard ignorance and stupidity described as subtle quips! You carry on young man!

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:38 pm

Plynlymonbluebird wrote:
Cryptonite it's is as
real as the Ayatollah Khaneni!!!

Keep up your studies!

On second review... :laughing6:

I am sorry, but I have to retract that B+.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:41 pm

SnackaJack wrote:
Plynlymonbluebird wrote:
Cryptonite it's is as
real as the Ayatollah Khaneni!!!

Keep up your studies!

On second review... :laughing6:

I am sorry, but I have to retract that B+.

So explain who the Ayatollah Kaneni is? What is cryptonite?

Please reference your answers for clarity!

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:51 pm

Plynlymonbluebird wrote:

Of course, the Ayatollah "Kaneni" was a typing error and a spelling error. I assumed it was spelled Khameni but ended up typing that. Khomeini is the correct spelling so now always remember to put that "i" in after the "e". He was of course the former Supreme leader of Iran who brought regular suicide bombings to the middle east due to his Fatwa on religious combatants.

Cryptonite has already been explained in this, but due to your propensity to have things whooosh by your head I will explain again. Cryptonite was a play on the word Kryptonite which is a fictional substance known to repell Superman in the hit movies. Due to my online substance being common sense I quipped that it was Cryptonite. It was subtle but expected most to get it. Ironic on a thread such as this that "some" didn't, clearly :laughing6:

Now then - "it's is as" is something alien to us all here my friend. Please now explain your thinking behind this grammatical faux pas :thumbup:

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:53 pm

SnackaJack wrote:
Plynlymonbluebird wrote:

Of course, the Ayatollah "Kaneni" was a typing error and a spelling error. I assumed it was spelled Khameni but ended up typing that. Khomeini is the correct spelling so now always remember to put that "i" in after the "e". He was of course the former Supreme leader of Iran who brought regular suicide bombings to the middle east due to his Fatwa on religious combatants.

Cryptonite has already been explained in this, but due to your propensity to have things whooosh by your head I will explain again. Cryptonite was a play on the word Kryptonite which is a fictional substance known to repell Superman in the hit movies. Due to my online substance being common sense I quipped that it was Cryptonite. It was subtle but expected most to get it. Ironic on a thread such as this that "some" didn't, clearly :laughing6:

Now then - "it's is as" is something alien to us all here my friend. Please now explain your thinking behind this grammatical faux pas :thumbup:

So you got it Wrong twice then! Well done on your admission!