Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Tony Mowbray On Peter Whittingham '

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:32 pm

' Tony Mowbray On Peter Whittingham '

Tony Mowbray believes Peter Whittingam will be an integral cog in the Rovers machine next season.

Thursday 15th June 2017

The manager wants to bring an attractive and attacking brand of football to Ewood Park next term and believes that Whittingam is just the man to make the team tick.

“I see those sort of players as like the oil that keeps the system running really,” said the Rovers boss.

“You give the ball to good players and they understand the systems and the positional play of the players in front of him, and they see the movement happening and they leave the ball in the right spaces and holes.

“They see the pictures and, as I say, they’re like the oil in the engine. They keep picking the right passes and sometimes as a football coach you have these pictures in your head of how you want your team to play and if you haven’t got the right cogs in the right places it just keeps breaking down.

“But Peter Whittingham, hopefully, with the pictures I have of how I want the team to play, will make it fluid and help us play as we want to.”

After putting pen-to-paper on a two-year deal at Ewood Park, Whittingham spoke of his excitement at the challenge of trying to help Rovers bounce straight back to the Championship.

And Mowbray was delighted to hear that the former Cardiff City star, who has spent the past decade with the Welsh club, was unfazed by the prospect of dropping down into League One.

“It shows his love of football,” added Mowbray. “As I said before, I like footballers who like football, who want to ask questions, who watch the matches in midweek and want to come in and talk about the players they’ve seen in the Champions League – and Peter hits me as one of those footballers who just loves football.

“At 32, he wants to enjoy his football in the coming years, so I think he’s made that decision to come to a team that hopefully are going to have a fair bit of the ball in this league and are hopefully going to score lots of goals and create, and he can be integral to that.”

Just summed up perfectly the player we have had the pleasure of watching over the past 10 years "The oil that keeps the system running".

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Re: ' Tony Mowbray On Peter Whittingham '

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:52 pm

I think the oil needs a new filter as last season it slowed the car Right down

Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:06 am

He wants to bring an attacking brand of football. Well mate you've signed the wrong player you fool.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:08 am

I think they'e made a great signing. Whitingham will be one of the best players in League 1 next season.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:51 pm

stevee1966 wrote:I think they'e made a great signing. Whitingham will be one of the best players in League 1 next season.

He will be without question, but what I meant was they must not think whitts will be bombing forward every 5 minutes he's not that type of player. I know one thing he will smash a load of free kicks in. :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:18 pm

I hope he has a great season at Ewood Park. Gutted he has gone, but to be honest, it'll be a great move for both parties.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:21 pm

MarshfieldIsBlue wrote:I hope he has a great season at Ewood Park. Gutted he has gone, but to be honest, it'll be a great move for both parties.

More precisely; a great move for all three parties.