Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Whitts In Talks Over Testimonial

Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:50 pm

IMG_1870.JPG

Cardiff City are in talks with Peter Whittingham over a testimonial following the end of an era for the Bluebirds icon.

Whittingham last week opted against the 12-month deal being offered by Cardiff chief Neil Warnock to take up a two-year contract at Blackburn.

It confirmed the end of the midfielder's decade-long stay in South Wales where his goals, assists and superb set-piece delivery had made him a certified fan favourite.

And it has been revealed that those supporters could yet get a chance for a final farewell after discussions opened between Cardiff and Whittingham's representative over a testimonial match in tribute of his decade as a Bluebird.

Whittingham reached three Wembley finals and secured a promotion to the Premier League after joining from Aston Villa in January 2007.

But he struggled to maintain the starting place he'd made his since those early days under Dave Jones, raising doubts over his future under Warnock as the 32-year-old approached the end of his contract.

Warnock had insisted he wanted Whittingham to stay but was unwilling to offer him any guarantees over his place.

And with Cardiff only prepared to extend his stay by an initial 12 months, Whittingham is thought to have turned down that and similar offers in the Championship to take the extra year on offer by recently relegated Blackburn, where he will play a more prominent role.

Whittingham was understood to have faced a significant pay cut, but only bringing him line to a reduced pay structure that the club have slowly introduced in the aftermath of relegation from the Premier League in 2014.

Whittingham's final home appearance came against Newcastle, with the writing already on the wall about his future.

But there is hope that there will now be a fitting farewell, with Cardiff CEO and executive director Ken Choo confirming: “Peter is a great person and we appreciate him and what he did for the club so we are working with him on a testimonial, which we think is important.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Whitts In Talks Over Testimonial

Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:59 pm

Please no, there'll be hardly any bugger there unless we get promoted, and hold it straight away after the season ends.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:04 pm

rhondda 1015 wrote:Please no, there'll be hardly any bugger there unless we get promoted, and hold it straight away after the season ends.

Why ?

I would think he'd get even more there than Superkev.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:47 pm

I'd be there.

Whitts is a Cardiff legend and deserves a testimonial for over 10 years fantastic service.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:57 pm

Would have been more there for Kev if it hadn't been arranged for mother's day and Wales fans still in Dublin

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:59 pm

I'd go just hope that they don't do it on Mothers Day like they did with Kev

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:03 pm

I'll go, pick a good date this time and get it done ASAP not two bloody years later like kev!

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:17 pm

avondaleblue wrote:Would have been more there for Kev if it hadn't been arranged for mother's day and Wales fans still in Dublin

Agree i was in ireland and would of gone

Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:10 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
rhondda 1015 wrote:Please no, there'll be hardly any bugger there unless we get promoted, and hold it straight away after the season ends.

Why ?

That's my point, he had a pathetic turn out. I remember when Mr Cardiff himself-Phil Dwyer-had a testimonial, a dismal turn-out. It's something that very rarely pulls decent crowds at the City.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:23 pm

Fair enough if in Ireland but Mother's Day FFS!!!! :laughing6:

Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:30 pm

theclaw wrote:Fair enough if in Ireland but Mother's Day FFS!!!! :laughing6:

I know that's what I was thinking!

Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:34 pm

rhondda 1015 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

Why ?

That's my point, he had a pathetic turn out. I remember when Mr Cardiff himself-Phil Dwyer-had a testimonial, a dismal turn-out. It's something that very rarely pulls decent crowds at the City.

3,000 wasn't it in the end ? Not bad for a guy who had left 2+ years earlier.

More than some Cup games nowadays!!

Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:09 pm

wez1927 wrote:
avondaleblue wrote:Would have been more there for Kev if it hadn't been arranged for mother's day and Wales fans still in Dublin

lost some people but it still would have been a poor turn out.

better off using a preseason friendly imo people will turn up to see new players then as well.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:54 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

better off using a preseason friendly imo people will turn up to see new players then as well.

the problem i see with this is most players like to have mates/ ex players playing and not the current squad some of whom they dont even know..

Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:25 pm

dogfound wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

the problem i see with this is most players like to have mates/ ex players playing and not the current squad some of whom they dont even know..

Maybe half way then... City's current squad vs Whitts 11...