Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' JONNY HAYES FINALLY JOINS CELTIC '

Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:55 pm

Celtic confirm £1.3million deal for Aberdeen winger Jonny Hayes as Cardiff City look elsewhere
By Dominic Booth

Cardiff had targeted the Ireland winger but he's now signed for the Scottish champions

Scottish giants Celtic have wrapped up a deal for Aberdeen's Jonny Hayes with Cardiff City having dropped their long-time interest in the winger.

Hayes joins Brendan Rodgers' side on a three-year deal after impressing at Pittodrie. Young winger Ryan Christie heads to Aberdeen on loan as part of the £1.3million deal.

Cardiff had coveted the Ireland international since January, with Neil Warnock hoping to add Hayes' firepower to his attacking options.

But Cardiff became resigned to losing out on Hayes when it appeared Celtic had assumed pole position — and the five-cap Irish star now switches to Parkhead after completing a medical.

He scored 11 goals for Aberdeen last season and became a fan favourite in the Granite City.

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock gives up on signing Jonny Hayes but is "down the line" with other deals
Hayes, 29, said: "This is a huge honour for me. It is a dream come true to be part of this brilliant football club and I can’t wait to get started.

“I’m delighted. It’s been in the pipeline for a little while now but I’m pleased to finally get here. I was eager to get it over the line for the last few weeks.

“Celtic have done well over the last few seasons and with the manager coming in last year he raised the level again. It was hard last year seeing all the celebrations and all the stuff on social media and you want that for yourself and to be part of it.

“Now it’s my chance and hopefully, going forward, I can create my own little bit of history and take the chance I’ve been given.”

Cardiff will now concentrate their efforts on securing a contract for centre-back Bruno Manga and acquiring a new striker, with both deals progressing nicely according to Bluebirds' chiefs.

Re: HAYES FINALLY JOINS CELTIC

Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:57 pm

Just confirms a lack of real intent on him joining Cardiff City FC, so he goes to Celtic with my very best wishes for a happy and prosperous time gathering trophies that mean little to anyone outside the City of Glasgow :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:45 pm

Too scared to take up the challenge of the Championship. He bombed the last time so maybe Scotland is his level? Maybe it's for the best?! Like Warnock said, Aberdeen & the player were messing about so it seems there was never any intention of him making the move here.

Probably for the best, we only want players here who want to play for City & want to try to get us challenging next season. :bluebird:

Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:41 am

Glad he did not sign - for me I only want players that are willing to go the extra mile for the club. For many many years we have been a soft touch at the club paying over the top wages, paying huge transfer fees that were out of sync with the market and this goes back to the turn of the century.

No longer do we seem to be soft club pandering to players agents and other clubs needs. If you don't sign move on and find someone that does want to play for the shirt :thumbup:

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:08 am

Decent player but so ugly he makes Willo Flood look like Brad Pitt.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:21 am

He would of been a good addition but we need players who want to join us

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:54 am

wez1927 wrote:He would of been a good addition but we need players who want to join us

I agree